Hive City layout. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-16-14, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

Default Hive City layout.

Most of the images I see online of Hives tend to be of monolithic spire-style constructs that seem to indicate totally enclosed systems with limited...if any....exposure to the outside environment.

The best analogy I can think of is that of a huge starship buried nose first into the ground and having its citizens living on its various artificially illuminated 'decks'.

However, in most of the fluff I read, descriptions of Hives seem to indicate grand open-air avenues, chases across roof-tops and exposure to sunlight and open air. (polluted or whatnot)

Just wondering what peoples thoughts on this was.

open or enclosed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-16-14, 07:28 AM

LordNecross's Flag is: USA

I think it varies drastically from planet to planet. I usually view it as cities stacked on cities. Think futurama new new york times ten, and more dense and with gothic architecture.

However I also see them as massive dome like cites, or underground cavernous cities. It just depends. However we can always assume the upper echelon of the city has the most open air access, if any.

post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-16-14, 11:35 AM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

There's no definition of a Hive City. It's however you desire it to be. Being inside a closed system brings its own difficulties.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-29-14, 03:22 PM

Kravunhive's Flag is: United Kingdom

As others have said it can vary from planet to planet. I think the open aired city type would be more favorable as this would allow city expansion in any direction possible. If a hive were enclosed behind adamantium walls it wouldn't leave much room for the population to expand, causing overcrowding. Of course the Imperium being the Imperium it could either build a new hive, or cull or conscript the excess population.

I've been trying to design a hive city for a piece I'm writing, it's really had to imagine how a complex city structure would work. The best way I can imagine it is this.

They have seen more death and ruin than another soldier sees in ten lifetimes.
- General Sejanus

Projects: There Is Only War - New Blog | Lexxian IX 'Sawtooths' - IG | Fiction: The Secundus - Short stories set on the penal colony of Bale Secundus |
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-29-14, 03:54 PM
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

Most hive cities is on Death worlds, and thusly you want them to have total enviroment protection. Look at Necromunda, the ecosystem is completely destroyed. Ash wastes outside the Hives.

Also, conditions depends on where you are in the hive. The higher up, the more it improves. But also remember that hives is enormous, containing blillions of human beings. Most Hivers have never seen the outside of the hive, or the upper levels, it being their entire world.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-02-15, 03:10 PM

What you're thinking of is called an arcology, I think. A hive city is like a super-robust city that then decided to build extra pedways between buildings, and then businesses on top of the pedways, and then residencies on top of the businesses. Then new pedways were built between the businesses. Then some bureaucrat decided to build an arcology to replace part of the city. And then shantitowns were built onto the outside of the arcologies, and they needed their own pedways. etc.

Wealth is created when we use new knowledge to create new things or improve efficiencies.
This technology, along with people pondering applications using type three levers is literally a new mechanical revolution in waiting. There are going to be many patents, from people who're curious and can tinker.

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-02-15, 06:08 PM
hailene's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Lucian View Post
ost hive cities is on Death worlds, and thusly you want them to have total enviroment protection
Ehhh....what? Since when?

Could you provide a source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Lucian View Post
Look at Necromunda, the ecosystem is completely destroyed
While Necromunda's atmosphere is indeed destroyed, but when has it ever been referred to as a death world?
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-02-15, 06:40 PM
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

I think that came out wrong, I meant the enviroment on hive worlds is generally destroyed and inimical to unaugmented human life or mutants
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-12-15, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

Semi-resurrecting my own thread...sorry.

I am still having a huge problem with hive cities.

While I have not read a huge ammount of books, those I have seem to almost universally reject the so called 'environmentally sealed' spires we see in all the artwork.

From the open aired grand parade in the Eisenhorn novels to my current read, Helsreach, all talk of open topped city walls.....huge open highways and open rooftops, and multitudes of civilians...who supposedly have never seen the sun....under exposure to air attack.

I'm not criticizing the books....Helreach in particular is an awesome read, but maybe the authors are having the same trouble as I am visualizing a completely enclosed cityscape.

For instance why does Grimaldus worry about the exposure of his food and water supplies to air attack if it could just be taken 'indoors' and protected by kilometers of outer shell and city structure? This is on Armageddon a world that supposedly you can't breath the air right?

Why also does Helsreach need city walls when, by definition, a hive city is nothing but one huge outer wall stretching to the clouds?

I guess my minds eye isn't up to the task of conjuring up the closed environment, I keep coming up with a mix of blade runner and coruscant instead.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-12-15, 07:46 AM
hailene's Flag is: USA

There's not going to be a one size fits all.

Different planets will have different needs. Even the hives on each of the planet may differ.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode