Hive City layout. - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-22-15, 04:44 PM
hailene's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
I think Gol and some of the other miners would like a word with you.....
They probably had a consistent source of wood, potable water, and a solid roof over their heads.

That's a win in my book :p.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-22-15, 10:05 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailene View Post
They probably had a consistent source of wood, potable water, and a solid roof over their heads.

That's a win in my book :p.
That would probably be luxury for the worker class of a hive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-23-15, 12:43 AM
hailene's Flag is: USA

I think it depends on the hive.

Can't paint all hiveworlds with the same brush, I think.

post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-26-15, 08:50 PM
Deathwing Commissar

Phoebus's Flag is: USA

hailene,

My apologies for not answering you earlier; it's been a hell of a week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailene View Post
I disagree that a hive's...hive-iness is dependent on some sort of prerequisite level of misery.
On the one hand, I would argue that one doesn't need to qualify that the conditions that define a hive city are inimical to a decent life for any but the top strata of society.

But anyways, Games Workshop has done just that. From the latest Core Rulebook:

Quote:
The massive populations of hive worlds periodically become unmanageable, as the masses boil over against their constant repression. Such bustling mega-cities are always rife with anarchic and destructive forces that ensure only the hardiest can survive. Yet this too works for the Imperium, for their tithes supply rich sources of fighting men for the Imperial Guard.
The only other reference in the last two rulebooks to make a specific statement about the hives (beyond just their size and scale) is similarly negative:

Quote:
Examples of recovered STC template technology still being built and in use today include
... the Atmospheric Pumps that still keep the air (almost) breathable in even the largest hive-blocks.
Going back to the fifth edition? It's similarly dreary:

Quote:
Centuries of industrial production have left a hive world's surface inhospitable, with toxic fumes and parched soil. Each hive world is home to many hundred billion citizens, crammed into towering urban conglomerations, known as hives, ...
Where your specific examples are concerned?

Quote:
Helsreach was a reasonable place to live, so it seemed, on the whole.
I'm not sure why you think that a hive named after a mythological hell in a world that's practically unlivable, where existence is defined by quotas for war materiel production or serving as a soldier, would be a "reasonable place to live, on the whole."

Beyond those qualifiers, which can be found in a plethora of Games Workshop products, you have some helpful contributions from the novel Helsreach:

Quote:
“The air still tasted like a latrine, though. And it didn’t exactly smell any better. The joys of high sulphur content in the atmosphere.”

Excerpt From: Aaron Dembski-Bowden. “Helsreach.” iBooks.
And beyond that? Well, neither Necropolis nor Sabbat Martyr focus on the quality of life within Vervunhive or Beati City. If people don't seem ruthlessly oppressed or miserable, well, I'd chalk it up to the fact that their immediate attention is on waging a war against horrific enemies who want to see their bodies and souls corrupted and/or destroyed.

Bottom line, I don't doubt that there is some exception to the rule out there. There may very well be a hive city with tolerant rulers, great living conditions (albeit in a giant metropolis), etc. Within the context of 40k, of course, that exception would be like Alpha Shalish: an enlightened place doomed to a horrific fate. Either way, though, it's not the standard. The standard by which hive worlds and the hives that house their population is, unfortunately, a miserable one.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode