Szarekh, the last Silent King - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-14, 06:34 AM

LordNecross's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
The crons are probably the most technologically advanced faction in 40K perhaps the galaxy he was in during his exile has hints of the nids.

Assuming we assume that the necrons still have galaxy wide transporters that don't rely on the webway and ships that can travel at the blink of an eye it's not a big stretch.
I wish they did, I feel that has been retconned because Ward is a twat.

In my mind they still do, because it doesn't make sense otherwise. The are masters of time and space, and beyond petty need of the warp.

As for the Silent king I would love to see him have a badass model and unique rules, make him better than even a kitted out overlord.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-14, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over Two Meters Tall! View Post
The implications here seem to be:

The Eldar were stronger than the Necrons at the end of the War in Heaven

The Eldar didn't shield their creators, the Old Ones, while they were killed off.
We don't really know much about the state of the eldar during this period, other than the fact that this is the time frame in which eldar culture and eldar gods were shaped. Presumably the Old Ones were the focus of the c'tan and necron forces, leaving most of their servant races (such as eldar and orks) off to the wayside. Before the rebellion, perhaps Szarekh simply didn't perceive them to be a threat, and reached his conclusions and decided upon his course afterwards.

That's just my guess, it could have one down any number of other ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordNecross View Post
In my mind they still do, because it doesn't make sense otherwise. The are masters of time and space, and beyond petty need of the warp.
I agree, I would like to see this back when they get their new book. Having them exist as a fractured empire was drawback enough to take the necrons off the Tyranid/Chaos level of galactic threat without that ridiculous weakness thrown into the mix.

It's absurd that a race with the power to overthrow, shatter and enslave their own gods would be reliant on such a fragile and limited means of transport.

Quote:
As for the Silent king I would love to see him have a badass model and unique rules, make him better than even a kitted out overlord.
I agree, someone like this deserves a much better statline than the uniform stats almost all other necrons get. I wanna see a necron that can go toe to toe with the best of every faction on the table as well as in the fluff.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-14, 07:57 PM

Quote:
I wish they did, I feel that has been retconned because Ward is a twat.

My personal head canon is that Necron teleporters require time to beam forces to a target location without a receiver portal on the other end, furthermore there's no in between for them you're either at one location or the other.

The reason why the webway was such a strategic advantage is that it's basically a tunnel system instead of the this or that for the crons there was a third option.

So when they infiltrated the webway they were able to remove that third option.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-14, 08:32 PM

Quote:
My personal head canon is that Necron teleporters require time to beam forces to a target location without a receiver portal on the other end, furthermore there's no in between for them you're either at one location or the other.

The reason why the webway was such a strategic advantage is that it's basically a tunnel system instead of the this or that for the crons there was a third option.

So when they infiltrated the webway they were able to remove that third option.
I still think its horse shit tbh.

I don't think they need the webway at all, and probably travel just as fast, or faster without it.

I maintain my own canon that they still maintain their original travel ability and only enter the webway to bother the space elves.

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-03-14, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Feed

Quote:
Necrons still have teleportation, it just appears to be short ranged now rather than galaxy wide. Their monoliths and night scythes prove that they can build their own teleportation devices but the info on them is woefully lacking. We don't know how far they can draw troops from.

Ironically Flayed Ones seem able to teleport to blood soaked battlefields at will, something other necrons apparently cannot do.

Quote:
The history seems to imply that the necrons were forced to use slow burning torch ships and stasis to travel between stars at the speed of light. This accounted for the Old Ones advantage, they were always able to outmaneuver the necrons by use of the webway. The necrons hi-jacking the webway removed this advantage and tipped the scales in the necrons' favour.

What I don't understand is why they removed the fluff regarding the necrons own ftl from previous editions, and further implied that without the webway they would be forced to rely on the torch ships again.

Tyranids are able to generate gravity wells around star systems that enable their fleets to approach said systems at much greater velocities than the speed of light. Even this method is something the necrons should easily be able to replicate. Considering that they are apparently masters of time and space.

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-04-14, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
Necrons still have teleportation, it just appears to be short ranged now rather than galaxy wide. Their monoliths and night scythes prove that they can build their own teleportation devices but the info on them is woefully lacking. We don't know how far they can draw troops from.

Ironically Flayed Ones seem able to teleport to blood soaked battlefields at will, something other necrons apparently cannot do.

The history seems to imply that the necrons were forced to use slow burning torch ships and stasis to travel between stars at the speed of light. This accounted for the Old Ones advantage, they were always able to outmaneuver the necrons by use of the webway. The necrons hi-jacking the webway removed this advantage and tipped the scales in the necrons' favour.

What I don't understand is why they removed the fluff regarding the necrons own ftl from previous editions, and further implied that without the webway they would be forced to rely on the torch ships again.

Tyranids are able to generate gravity wells around star systems that enable their fleets to approach said systems at much greater velocities than the speed of light. Even this method is something the necrons should easily be able to replicate. Considering that they are apparently masters of time and space.
Maybe he thought it would make the necrons too powerful to teleport anywhere in the blink of an eye, which is what their FTL was.

Since it doesn't make sense I choose to ignore it, otherwise the necrons go from being a dreaded foe that must never awaken to a minor nuisance that is limited.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-04-14, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Feed

Quote:
the necrons go from being a dreaded foe that must never awaken to a minor nuisance that is limited.
Sadly I think this was the overall intent. I guess we have to wait and see what the new book gives us.

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-14, 12:21 AM

On another note. I see Nids as the only actual threat before the nerfing of the crons. Sorry Chaos lovers.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-14, 09:10 PM

Quote:
On another note. I see Nids as the only actual threat before the nerfing of the crons. Sorry Chaos lovers.
I dunno, if you can cost the nids more bio mass than what they would gain by taking the planet they'll back off. Most factions have weapons capable of doing that very thing.

Waagh ghazkull makes a good case for the orks becoming a dangerous threat.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-06-14, 08:21 PM

Actually, the issue of "threats" is at the heart of what I think was the basis of the Necron transformation (and the Dark Eldar updates).

When I started following 40K, there were basically three major threats to the galaxy: Tyranids, Necrons, and Chaos. Opposing them were the Tau, Eldar, and the Imperium as the protagonists. The Orks and Dark Eldar were random factions that didn't really play a role in the overall drama, too weak to be a threat but clearly not protagonists. Moreover, the Tyranids and Necrons looked different, but both were mindless hordes out to kill everything. That's really boring writing for even a single faction, and incredibly lazy as well to reuse for two.

So GW revamped the system. There are still three threats, but now they were supposed to be Tyranids, Orks, and Chaos. The other five factions - Necrons, Dark Eldar, Eldar, Imperium, and Tau - became the protagonists of the setting. Being protagonists, they got more depth than the threats, but naturally their power level was significantly lowered. Of course, this is 40K, so many of the protagonists stayed rather evil and most of them hated each other, but oh well.

The result was three differentiated threats (mindless threat, savage threat, insidious threat) and five morally gray (though of different shades) protagonist groups. The only problem was fandom inertia, but that can be overcome in time with good fluff.

And then they hired Matt Ward to write the codices.

(Disclaimer - I have no idea what's happening with the fluff now; ever since BL ruined itself I've been distracted from the GW world.)

Renegades Saga contributions
(https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...tions-cry.html)
(https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...s-scarlet.html)
(https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...lesh-weak.html)
The Emperor has turned to Chaos. The dream of the Imperium has become a nightmare. But Horus and his Coalition stand against the dark, here at the end of time.

Lorgar's Betrayal
(https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...te-heresy.html)
What was broken has been mended. And what was burned away can never be reforged.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode