The things that make us cringe - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 109 (permalink) Old 09-20-14, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

Default The things that make us cringe

There are many things in this 40k that just make people as a fan cringe. It could be something like Draigo who is so OP, or it could be something that is so minor it only bothers you.

Write down the things that make you wish they never existed.

I'll start

No engineering degrees: There is an entire cult devoted to machines and science, they can make some cool tanks, weapons, machines, but dreadnought armor forget it! there skitarii can even wear something that is "like" terminator armor, but isn't. This right here bothers me so much, I just pretend it doesn't exist in the 40k world.

bolters design: It's too outdated looking, I'd prefer it to be bigger and look a little more hefty, it looks like an mp5 in size comparison on a Space Marine. Also it needs a stock. You shoot a rifle without a stock and tell me how accurate you are.

1000 men strong: The size of a chapter never bothered me before, but a post on here talked about how another 0 should be added to make it 10,000 marines, and the old legions should have had 800,000+ marines. It made so much sense, and I cringe a little bit every time I hear about only 1000 marines. That's really not a big number at all, and even 10,000 in the grand scheme of things isn't big either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 109 (permalink) Old 09-20-14, 03:14 AM
Craw-Daddy

The last part I actually think is interesting. For me, the way that 40K armies work and the arsenal of weapons I don't think chapters really are that strong to take worlds. To me the Chapters have seemed more believable taking simple objectives or even city main points. I think we will see more Imperial Guard and Space Marine and Chaos Marines and Cultist interactive combat roles.

Its just hard to believe that chapters would simply deploy their strength against an army with many heavy and anti armor weapons. Thats just pure astartes casualties. The depiction of how the Black Legions use cultists and daemons seems to make more sense in terms of which armies have been more successful.
post #3 of 109 (permalink) Old 09-20-14, 04:34 AM
Feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJay View Post
No engineering degrees: There is an entire cult devoted to machines and science, they can make some cool tanks, weapons, machines, but dreadnought armor forget it! there skitarii can even wear something that is "like" terminator armor, but isn't. This right here bothers me so much, I just pretend it doesn't exist in the 40k world.
This is part of the grim darkness of 40k. Mankind holds itself back by being a superstitious race afraid of change. If innovation was not so shunned, the Imperium would be doing much better.

Quote:
bolters design: It's too outdated looking, I'd prefer it to be bigger and look a little more hefty, it looks like an mp5 in size comparison on a Space Marine. Also it needs a stock. You shoot a rifle without a stock and tell me how accurate you are.
The bolter has never been described as an accurate weapon. There's a reason its limited to the same effective range as most assault rifles despite it being significantly heavier.

Quote:
1000 men strong: The size of a chapter never bothered me before, but a post on here talked about how another 0 should be added to make it 10,000 marines, and the old legions should have had 800,000+ marines. It made so much sense, and I cringe a little bit every time I hear about only 1000 marines. That's really not a big number at all, and even 10,000 in the grand scheme of things isn't big either.
This is a deliberate design by the Codex Astartes to limit the power and influence that each chapter has and prevent another large scale heresy. Space Marines are not armies, they are supplements and strike forces, most often used alongside other Imperial forces in campaigns.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #4 of 109 (permalink) Old 09-20-14, 05:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
This is part of the grim darkness of 40k. Mankind holds itself back by being a superstitious race afraid of change. If innovation was not so shunned, the Imperium would be doing much better.

The bolter has never been described as an accurate weapon. There's a reason its limited to the same effective range as most assault rifles despite it being significantly heavier.

This is a deliberate design by the Codex Astartes to limit the power and influence that each chapter has and prevent another large scale heresy. Space Marines are not armies, they are supplements and strike forces, most often used alongside other Imperial forces in campaigns.
I know the reasoning why, I've read the fluff reasoning, I just don't give a shit. I can have my opinion and this is it, the reasoning is BS to me and I roll my eyes whenever those 3 aspects are in my face.

Purpose of this was to vent, not for everyone to try and gang up and prove each other wrong. This is personal preference.
post #5 of 109 (permalink) Old 09-20-14, 05:31 AM
Feed

Quote:
Purpose of this was to vent, not for everyone to try and gang up and prove each other wrong. This is personal preference.
I wasn't sure. But it's fine.

post #6 of 109 (permalink) Old 09-20-14, 05:33 AM
hailene's Flag is: USA

Quote:
You shoot a rifle without a stock and tell me how accurate you are.
This never bothered me because of how the gyrojet round should work if it panned out. Plus the sheer size and super-human strength of a Space Marine combined with the incredibly advanced systems of power armor, I see no issue with an accurate bolter.
~~~~~~~~~

As to what makes me cringe? Chapter losses for fairly routine operations. It's brutal when a company loses 2-3 men to clear out an orbital station filled with heretics armed with las and auto guns. This doesn't make sense to me.

Also how easily Space Marines die. Losing a limb should barely slow them down, and only for a moment. A sword thrust anywhere not in the head shouldn't incapacitate them. Then even if they are critically injured, they should fall into a sus-membrane coma to be resistated (or finished, depending on who wins).

And then the whole depiction of very human 40k Space Marine usually urks me. You don't take children from the worst hellholes in the Imperium, indoctrinate them with nothing but loyalty to the Imperium, hatred for its enemies, and how to murder those enemies, and come out with a relatively normal human being.
post #7 of 109 (permalink) Old 09-20-14, 06:11 AM

LordNecross's Flag is: USA

How Matt Ward Handled the Necrons, instead of the original writers fleshing it out further.

Seriously it would have been easy to keep old fluff and still get the NewCrons we have without getting rid of the C'Tan as influential. Them being so underpowerd in TT was always bothersome(compared to the fluff that is) so the new fluff makes it better for TT, I just am irked by how much was retconned.

Also screw the whole piggy backing on the Webway system, this pissed me off the most. Original Crons just appeared where they want to, why would a race that master science need the warp? They wouldn't. I felt like this was meant to pander towards limiting space travel in the material verse and force everything to rely on the warp :/ which is ghey.

post #8 of 109 (permalink) Old 09-20-14, 06:38 AM
Feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordNecross View Post
Also screw the whole piggy backing on the Webway system, this pissed me off the most. Original Crons just appeared where they want to, why would a race that master science need the warp? They wouldn't. I felt like this was meant to pander towards limiting space travel in the material verse and force everything to rely on the warp :/ which is ghey.
I agree with this. I actually like what they did with the c'tan, but taking away their established FTL ability seemed like much too limiting a factor for a race that surpassed even the Old Ones in scientific prowess.

post #9 of 109 (permalink) Old 09-20-14, 06:46 AM
hailene's Flag is: USA

Speaking of the Necrons, the whole humanizing thing is a disaster in my point of view. I liked it more when they were soulless death machines out to harvest the souls of all sentient life. That was cool and frightening.

Changing them to a bunch of B-villains killing and conquering on their so very human and flawed whims seems so much of a...cop out.

I rather they introduced a new race of technological aristocrats. Or hell, just had the Dark Eldar fill in that niche.
post #10 of 109 (permalink) Old 09-20-14, 06:47 AM

LordNecross's Flag is: USA

I don't mind what happened to the C'Tan, I just think it should have been a more recent event, as it kind of retconns alot of the Deceiver's shenanigans in the Imperium.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode