Who is Cypher? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-08, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Fallen DA's Flag is: Canada

Default Who is Cypher?

I've just finished reading "Angels of Darkness" I'd read it first time round and enjoyed the book, but basically bought the book again cos I was interested in what Gav Thorpes afterword might contain. I personnally like the idea that Pre-Heresy Dark Angels can have such a diverse range of agendas, and that players are free to choose which path they want to take their Fallen But Cypher can only be one person, and Gav's afterword states "Who is the enigmatic Cypher, for those who haven't guessed?" Well I haven't guessed, but as slow as I maybe I know it can't eb the Lion (As read on another web-site) It can't be Luther, or Astelan, and I'm guessing it isn't Elvis, so if anyone knows or can put me on the path to enlightenment...?

Last edited by Fallen DA; 09-09-08 at 01:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-08, 06:40 PM
Alex's Flag is: United Kingdom

Lord Cypher is a title used by the Order, the knightly order commanded by Lion El'Jonson during his initial years on Caliban. The bearer of the title is responsible for maintaining the Order's traditions, rituals and ceremonies, and is an advisor to the Order. Upon taking the title, the Lord Cypher gives up his birth name; it is also forbidden for anyone else to use or even know it.
This was from the Descent of Angels novel. Who he actually is no one knows as he is forbidden to tell his name.

Builder of the Lego Manta

40K Farsight Enclaves
WFB - Brettonians
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-08, 12:24 AM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-08, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Lord Cypher is a title used by the Order, the knightly order commanded by Lion El'Jonson during his initial years on Caliban. The bearer of the title is responsible for maintaining the Order's traditions, rituals and ceremonies, and is an advisor to the Order. Upon taking the title, the Lord Cypher gives up his birth name; it is also forbidden for anyone else to use or even know it.
This was from the Descent of Angels novel. Who he actually is no one knows as he is forbidden to tell his name.
Very True. I beleive the only person who knew Cyper's true name before they beome The Lord Cypher was the Lion, as he chose the person for the position. Other than that 'Cypher" is actually a former The Lord Cypher as far as I can tell from reading Descent of Angels.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-08, 02:28 AM

Jimmy Hoffa?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-08, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Gav's afterword states "Who is the enigmatic Cypher, for those who haven't guessed?"

I had wondered if this had bypassed the fluff from the book "Decent of Angels" of which I wasn't a huge fan. Or that Gav had built on it and there was a direction this was going in?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-08, 05:55 AM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Descent of Angels is staged long before the heresy though. Any positions within the order could easily have changed hands twice or even three times before Lion returned to Caliban, and it does not record whether a Cypher still existed as a Dark Angel or if the position was resurrected after the heresy. There is lots of room there for imagination.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-08, 02:01 PM

slaaneshy's Flag is: United Kingdom

Well, I know for a fact it isn't me.
I think the Cypher riddle will be fleshed out a bit more in the future Horus Heresy books as Descent of Angels lays the ground work.

I am the White Knight!

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-08, 08:00 PM

Grand Master Belial's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaaneshy View Post
Well, I know for a fact it isn't me.
I think the Cypher riddle will be fleshed out a bit more in the future Horus Heresy books as Descent of Angels lays the ground work.
But not completely revealed as that would be like a magician telling us how he did the trick. It would reduce Cypher's mystique.

What is the terror of death? That we die, our work incomplete. But what is the joy of life? To die, knowing our task is done.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-08, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Master Belial View Post
But not completely revealed as that would be like a magician telling us how he did the trick. It would reduce Cypher's mystique.
You have a point, but Cypher's identity if ever revealed could really develope the story and give it a real twist? It did occur to me that Gav may have made the statement just to get the gossip mill turning??? OR Pamela Anderson could take the dark Angels in a whole new direction

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode