Heavy Bolters - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-12-14, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Default Heavy Bolters

WHAT THE WARP?!

Exhibit A.

"Sergeant Harker is a giant of a man, even by Catachan standards, his large frame covered with slabs of muscle and sinew. His strength is such that he carries his Heavy Bolter, "Payback," as easily as a normal man might carry a rifle, without even breaking a sweat." (Imperial Guard Codex 5th ed, 09)

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Harker#.VBMMcvmSyCY

Exhibit B.

"In battle, Corax favoured a Heavy Bolter for long-range killing, which he hefted and aimed as easily as an ordinary man would lift a battle rifle;." (Raven's Flight, 2010)

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Corax#Wargear

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-12-14, 03:53 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Might want to make a point. It's kind of how these things work. Raise question, provide evidence, answer given. At the minute, all you've done is provide evidence outside of any context whatsoever.

If you're talking in regards to the how the weapons are similar, Harker is an exceptional individual.

Also, carrying, and aiming accurately are two different things. I'd also have to double check the context of "favouring" a heavy bolter for long range killing, as the only time he took the Heavy Bolter was following the dropsite massacre, and one of his talons was broken (IIRC) by Curze.

Also, ignore the Lexicanum - it's a pretty poor resource.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-12-14, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

The wording in both works are almost the exact same and were published within one year of each other; the similarity made me suspicious. And I've double checked the original sources, so in this case, lexicanum is perfectly fine for me to quote.

Don't spend time lecturing me. I would much rather prefer a discussion about fluff descrepancies that makes little sense. Whether Harker spray-n-pray his HB is pure speculation on your part - it doesn't say, so as you said - pay attention to the source.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-12-14, 04:28 PM
Vaz

Ask a question then.

"What the warp?" is not only grammatical nonsense, it is an exclamation expressed in the matter of question to which there can be no actual answer. If you wish to discuss something, please do something.

Kind regards, the english language.

"Kind regards"

Exhibit A
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feces

Exhibit B
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antidis...shmentarianism

Ta.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-12-14, 04:32 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

A heavy bolter to a primarch would be like an SMG to a normal Joe, never mind a battle rifle.

Catachans are huge as humans go. I think way back when they introduced the various different IG units it actually mentioned something about the Catachan affinity with Ogryns having to do with the fact they were so similar. Then you have Harker. A giant amongst giants. He might not be as mobile with it as a primarch, but it's similar to the big dude in a modern day rifle squad getting lumped with the GPMG(m240 for our US members). After a while he usually becomes fairly proficient at throwing that thing around.

Last edited by Khorne's Fist; 09-12-14 at 04:37 PM.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-12-14, 06:01 PM
hailene's Flag is: USA

Several possible answers.

1. The codices are known to be, at least partially, propaganda. It could be Harker's entry is a hyperbole to awe the masses.

2. Not all rifles are equally heavy...nor are all marks of heavy bolters the same.

3. The authors aren't always so creative. Just take it as an out of universe oops.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-12-14, 09:00 PM

zerachiel76's Flag is: United Kingdom

In Gaunt's Ghosts (in Necropolis) Bragg fires an autocannon single handedly. AFAIK an autocannon is a similar size to a heavy bolter so maybe huge IG soldiers can fire heavy weapons single handedly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
"No, I don't care if it's 'fun', you are not attempting to shove your USB stick in my Scart socket....."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
"It won't fit" "That's what they always say first time"
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-12-14, 10:52 PM
Vaz

Dan Abnett tends to do exactly what he likes with the lore - after all, he has already recreated Sharpe, the Jedi and Pearl Harbour in his novels.

Autocannons are a funny one - namely because the idea that a tank supported autocannon chassis (i.e, the Predator's main gun, or a Salamander's) is the same one as carried en masse by infantry regiments is kind of strange, especially when that Predator Autocannon is used to score Tank Kills against rival Predators (bear in mind that Rhino's presented in fluff are tougher than represented in game - the old movie marines Dex had them tougher than Predators, for example, and the standard Boltgun was a Strength 6 AP4 weapon, IIRC).

There's a discrepancy there as well.

In my headcanon, I like to see autocannons as being a catch-all term for any large calibre weapon firing explosive shells at a reasonably high Rate of Fire, similar to a Bofors 40mm, but in the case of something like a Predator, maybe slotting all the way up to a 105mm type.

Meanwhile, a Heavy Bolter is firing 25mm shells - something more along the lines of a Bushmaster like on the Bradley.

Quote:
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-13-14, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailene View Post
Several possible answers.

1. The codices are known to be, at least partially, propaganda. It could be Harker's entry is a hyperbole to awe the masses.

2. Not all rifles are equally heavy...nor are all marks of heavy bolters the same.

3. The authors aren't always so creative. Just take it as an out of universe oops.
To be fair the recoil on the heavy bolter would be minimal. Since bolt rounds contain only enough propellant to ensure the round leaves the barrel.

I'm not sure how much powder a 25MM would need to reliably leave the barrel but it probably would have to be much.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-13-14, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
To be fair the recoil on the heavy bolter would be minimal. Since bolt rounds contain only enough propellant to ensure the round leaves the barrel.

I'm not sure how much powder a 25MM would need to reliably leave the barrel but it probably would have to be much.
Yeah multiple fluff says that a SM bolter would break a normal man's arm.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode