Iron Warrior Organization - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-14, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

Default Iron Warrior Organization

So I have previously listened to and read some HH stories like Angel Exterminatus featuring the Iron Warriors and I wondered about their organization.

I was previously aware of the Grand Companies from their 40k release. In the later HH stuff, they mention Grand Battalions, so it logically fit in the the Grand Battalions were formed of Grand Companies.

Now I am reading Storm of Iron and the Characters from AE which I first got to know commanding Grand Battalions now command Grand Companies.

The Iron Warriors are a pretty huge Legion, before and after the Heresy, but is this a result of casualties or reorganization? Folks get demoted?

What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-14, 04:15 AM

The grand companies are probably the remains of the grand battalions since by that point they would have been fighting for years without a steady influx of new recruits. So they probably renamed their battalions to a more fitting name.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-14, 05:44 AM
Craw-Daddy

It seemed that in Storm of Iron, this particular war band made a deal with Abaddon to essentially grab that prize and give it to him in return for not having to be in the Black Crusade. The Iron Warriors have their own methods compared to most war bands and legions in creating more warriors for their legions. They are more of collectors than invaders really. Based on most stories they seem to pick targets they can win in order to take resources and slaves.

I think thats the best explanation for their appearance as a larger legion. Word Bearers and Black Legion are obviously bigger because they have bigger ambitions.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-14, 07:06 PM

The IW still operate under "Grand Companies" but the actual sizes of these is inconsistent (kind of like Word Bearers Hosts or Alpha Legion Cells). Just think of them like better organized Warbands that still give a damn about the word of their primarch. Although there are actual "Warbands" that have broken from the IW (such as the Steel Brethren) and no longer consider themselves part of the Legion. Grand Companies however, though they dont always get along, still claim to be part of the Iron Warriors as a whole under Perturabo. Whereas Pre-Heresy a Warsmith was a Siege Captain of sorts, now that term is equivalent to any IW Chaos Lord and every Grand Company (no matter how large or small) will have 1 at the head.

"Shackle the Soul and Forge the Flesh. Bind the Machine and Butcher the rest!"
40k Blog
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-14, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

So the Grand Battalions have kind of broken down (originally as presented with the IW release) to the more 40k-ish Grand Companies, whereas they were previously (more recently in the HH novels) organized into Grand Battalions for that more massive, epic pre-heresy feel?

Last edited by Marauderlegion; 09-12-14 at 11:52 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-14, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauderlegion View Post
So the Grand Battalions have kind of broken down (originally) to the more 40k-ish Grand Companies, whereas they were previously (more recently) organized into Grand Battalions for that more massive, epic pre-heresy feel?
Yeah pretty much. Pre-Heresy every Legion had a similar composition (Companies by many names) but only a few Traitor legions have retained some of their organization. IW and WB are some of the lucky few who still function as a whole when needed

"Shackle the Soul and Forge the Flesh. Bind the Machine and Butcher the rest!"
40k Blog
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-14, 10:49 AM

Rems's Flag is: Australia

Storm of Iron was written way before the HH series came out.

There were no Grand Battalions back then, the Iron Warriors had Grand Companies pre and post Heresy.

So there's two options; 1) an in universe explanation where Grand Companies are degraded remnants of the Grand Battalions. 2) Replace every instance of the phrase 'Grand Company with 'Grand Battalion', as the fluff has evolved since then.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-14, 05:20 PM
Craw-Daddy

It seemed that this war band was different from most. I would have to look up their names, but I was under the impression that every grand company in Storm of Iron and the second book that followed, was underneath the command of "The Warsmith."

Its possible that "The Warsmith" was sort of a uniter of Iron Warrior lost grand companies and tried to make a united legion before being ascended.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-14, 01:57 PM

forkmaster's Flag is: Sweden

I asked this very questions as well since I got confused. Berossus is a good example. He begun as a Captain of the 2nd Grand Company in the novella The Crimson Fist. Due to his failure in that novel he is hurt and intombed as a Dread. He is credited however to be the Warsmith of the 2nd Grand Battalion in Angel Exterminatus. The use of Grand Companies have disappeared completely from this novel despite being used pretty much every elsewhere.

In that novel we only have Forrix as the First Captain. Everyone else is credited either as a Warsmith (the equalence of a Captain) or a Lieutenant. I understand that Graham wanted to give the Legion a more personal Legion set-up but screwed with the previous stories. In the same novel he managed to mix up the EC Captains and what Companies they are supposed to belong to, when comparing between The Reflection Crack'd and Angel Exterminatus.

The same structure change can be said when in Fallen Angels, the Dark Angels have Chapters, but in Savage Weapons they have Orders.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode