Bolter rate of fire - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-14, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Garviel loken.'s Flag is: Canada

Default Bolter rate of fire

So anyone know what the actual rate of fire for a bolter is? I always think it is semi auto with burst fire but i have read once of it going full auto in the night lords omnibus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-14, 07:45 PM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

Well the A.A 12 shotgun has a rate of fire of 300 rounds a minute, it is 12 gauge so the calibre is just about the same as a boltgun, so I would use that figure as realistic rate of fire for a boltgun. That is of course if you like your sci fi to be far fetched but believable.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-14, 08:32 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

A Boltgun can be fired in several modes. SemiAuto, Burst (3 and 4, possibly depending on type, and I think even 2 round), and full automatic.

The rate of fire is slightly a different thing. It is how many shots you can fire in a given time, usually expressed as per minute. In todays day and age, most assault rifles fire at 600ish rounds/minute. Now, they fire 5.56mm, or 7.62 ammunition - the boltgun fires 25mm. The nearest to that in small arm terms is the XM25. Can't remember of top of my head, but it isnt very quick.

Other than that, there are several explosive shell weapons on a heavier weapon system, like the Apache's 30mm gun the M230 which is similar to assault rifles, while the RARDEN is around 90rpm, but limited to 6 (or maybe 8, been a while) at a time to conserve ammunition.

In regards to 2 shot burst, there are russian weapons which fire at nearly 1800rounds/minute, but can only fire in burst because of that action.

Authors pick and choose depending on what they desire.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-14, 08:51 PM

Roninman's Flag is: Finland

Bolter is weapon category on its own and there has to be many different models with all kinds of rate of fire options. I doubt that Marines would be wasting ammunition going on full auto. I suspect ROF would be anywhere between 600-800 a min.

Also caliber is slightly different between normal and Marine bolters.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-14, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

huh, i dont really see the bolter as a full auto weapon. I always liked the way it was depicted in the game fire warrior, but hate how it is depicted in the game space marine
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-18-14, 12:07 AM

Malus Darkblade's Flag is: Kuwait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garviel loken. View Post
huh, i dont really see the bolter as a full auto weapon.
What do you think happened at Istvaan V?
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-18-14, 03:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malus Darkblade View Post
What do you think happened at Istvaan V?
i think that alot of bolters were shooting unsuspecting marines. Doesnt mean they were full auto.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-18-14, 10:02 AM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

The storm bolter was designed as a full auto assault version, so while a bolter may be capable of full auto, it's not its primary purpose. A SMs reflexes and marksmanship married with targeting technologies in their armour mean that one placed shot should be enough for most targets. Besides, with such a small mag capacity, it would be extremely wasteful to go full auto.

I wonder how many rounds a SM would carry into action. Modern troops wear battle vests or chest rigs with anywhere from 300 to 500 rds, plus grenades and other goodies. If a SM was carrying 500 rds of .75 ammo on him, he should be dripping with bandoliers and magazines mag locked to any spare surface.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-18-14, 10:26 AM

Rems's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
The storm bolter was designed as a full auto assault version, so while a bolter may be capable of full auto, it's not its primary purpose. A SMs reflexes and marksmanship married with targeting technologies in their armour mean that one placed shot should be enough for most targets. Besides, with such a small mag capacity, it would be extremely wasteful to go full auto.

I wonder how many rounds a SM would carry into action. Modern troops wear battle vests or chest rigs with anywhere from 300 to 500 rds, plus grenades and other goodies. If a SM was carrying 500 rds of .75 ammo on him, he should be dripping with bandoliers and magazines mag locked to any spare surface.
Well some art does depict them with gear. (from Forgeworld's Taros book.)

Remember too though that a Space Marine missions are short and sharp. They're not slogging it out it the trenches but used in elite surgical strikes and shock assaults; they don't need to be carrying a massive amount of ammunition. Especially not when a) their methodology of waging war and equipment makes close combat perfectly viable and b) they're only every a supply drop away from fresh reserves of material. remember that the Space Marines arrive via their fleet and as such can land new supplies via thunderhawk or simply shoot them onto the surface via drop pod. Vehicles like the rhino or land raider also carry supplies.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-18-14, 01:24 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

That image depicts a marine with a grand total of 60 rounds. Even if the mission is short and sharp, it's usually right into the heart of an enemy position, where defenders would be most numerous. 60 rounds just isn't going to cut it. Firing on full auto they wouldn't last 30 seconds.

I know when I was going on patrols, even if they were only meant to be fairly short, I packed in as much ammo as I could, just in case resupply became difficult, as it usually does when the shit hits the fan. I'm sure SMs always prepare for the worst case scenario. Besides, certain scenarios would not allow for effective resupply from fleet elements. The fleet itself could be fighting, the mission might be subterranean, they may have teleported in.

Last edited by Khorne's Fist; 08-18-14 at 01:30 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode