Grey knights vs the space wolves. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-16-14, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Default Grey knights vs the space wolves.

So I recently re read the killing ground, the ultramarine novel that had a bit of action from the grey knights alongside ultramarines.

One of the lines stuck out to me I remember it but I forgot it's significance Uriel Ventris and Pasanius had to fight a grey knight and lose in order to prove they were untainted as only a servant of chaos could defeat one.

If that was the case then how could Grimnar and his retinue succeed in killing A grey knight grand master and four justicar's and yet somehow not be tainted.

Personally I'm thinking that there's several ways that this could go.

The grey knights knew that Ventris and Pasanius were untainted, he also knew that he could beat both of them if he subtlety used his psychic powers to push the combat in his favor. Essentially the entire combat was smoke and mirrors for the benefit of the governor and as a means to remind the humans that astartes are far superior to them. As it stood they were over stepping their bounds.

McNeil put in a line that basically doomed the wolves, this I find hard to believe from the guy who made the Ultramarine's likeable again.

The wolves are just that badass and as the emperors executioners they have the ability to kill any astartes.

Finally there's my personal favorite theory.

The grey knights knew that the inquistion crossed a line with the months of shame. They are unable to vocally go against them due to their ties but they never agreeded with what they were doing. Especially since they broke a parlay. So the grand master and the justicars allowed themselves to be killed. Hoping that it would be enough for the inquisitor to see sense and stop before things get worse.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-16-14, 11:51 PM
Feed

They were all unarmed in that fight as I recall, so yes, the grey knight being a psyker gave him every advantage from the start. Uriel and Pasanius would have had to be using chaos spawned powers to match him or defeat him.

The confrontation with the Space Wolves was entirely different, everyone was armed and the grey knights psychic abilities probably counted for less. I'm not all that familiar with the story, but didn't the space wolves strike first?

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-16-14, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
They were all unarmed in that fight as I recall, so yes, the grey knight being a psyker gave him every advantage from the start. Uriel and Pasanius would have had to be using chaos spawned powers to match him or defeat him.

The confrontation with the Space Wolves was entirely different, everyone was armed and the grey knights psychic abilities probably counted for less. I'm not all that familiar with the story, but didn't the space wolves strike first?
The scene is in the emperors gift, as I recall there's Grimnar and five wolf guard terminators and I think it's fifty Grey knights, everyone was armed and armored. Everything about the scene screams either grimnar caught him off guard or he let himself be killed.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-17-14, 12:15 AM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

It's definitely artistic liscence on the part of McNeill. GKs are the shit, but unless it's against demons they are not so all conquering that a SM captain and veteran Sgt shouldn't put him away fairly easily. I thought it was a stupid set piece when I read it first, but now I find it absolutely fucking ridiculous. It completely diminishes the power of non GK SMs, and way over hypes the power of GKs.

Also, does it mean if one GK defeats another while sparring, that the victor is tainted? Just a plain dumb piece of writing.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-17-14, 04:05 AM
Craw-Daddy

I agree about the Ultramarines series being shit. McNeill sacrifices the integrity of many chapters, legions, and forces to make others look completely awesome.

I would say one thing about this though, the Wolves have demonstrated a few times they could hold back larger and stronger forces. Dan Abnett's description of what the Wolves were allowed to be created for echoes.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-17-14, 10:28 AM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

That just sounds like awful writing to me and a terrible scene.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-17-14, 11:17 AM

Actually it would make way more sense if it said that those pure of chaos taint can defeat a Grey Knight.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-17-14, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcrawford View Post
I agree about the Ultramarines series being shit. McNeill sacrifices the integrity of many chapters, legions, and forces to make others look completely awesome.

I would say one thing about this though, the Wolves have demonstrated a few times they could hold back larger and stronger forces. Dan Abnett's description of what the Wolves were allowed to be created for echoes.
Until I read the ultramarine series I refused to go anywhere near codex space marines because of the ultramarines wank that was in it.

The ultramarines series humanized them and actually made them into a likeable chapter complete with flaws.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-18-14, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
The scene is in the emperors gift, as I recall there's Grimnar and five wolf guard terminators and I think it's fifty Grey knights, everyone was armed and armored. Everything about the scene screams either grimnar caught him off guard or he let himself be killed.
Behold:

Lord Joros of the Eighth Brotherhood had ruled with a cautiously ambitious hand for seventy years. He was respected by those of us in his brotherhood, though scarcely loved; a warrior admired but rarely emulated.
The list of his deeds was more impressive than his unapproachable exterior might suggest. While he lacked a great many commendations for command, as a duellist and a front-line fighter, it was acknowledged across the order that few could match his reputation and skills with two falchion blades.

A vital aspect in any blademaster’s repertoire is the ability to read an opponent’s movements, and react with greater speed than they can act in the first place. Joros was a master, and his reflexes were renowned. And yet, his blades had scarcely cleared his scabbards when Logan Grimnar’s axe of blackened steel and burnished gold cleaved into our Grand Master’s breastplate and throat, ending a worthy, respectable life of service with a single crunching chop.

Joros went down, felled by the axe blow and dead before he hit the ground. The Great Wolf’s axe – named Morkai after some heathen Fenrisian superstition about a god guarding the Halls of the Dead – ripped back out, blood sizzling on its active metal surface. In the time it had taken me to look back from Rawthroat to his liege lord, my own Grand Master was slain. That should explain, at least partially, how quickly the High King of Fenris moved.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-18-14, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, it at least proves that he didn't die without trying to fight.

Now the question remains did he make a real effort to draw and fight or was it a show because he knew where it was going to head?

I don't want to ignore McNeil's work because of a sentence, so I'm going to go with that particular knight stretching the truth for that governors benefit.

They're many things but when it comes down to it they're still astartes. Nothing more.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode