Grey knights vs the space wolves. - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-20-14, 06:58 PM
Craw-Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
The Emperor's Gift by ADB.
I was afraid about reading more on Grey Knights/Inquisition fluff but this seems like a good read. I did some looking into the book and I'm actually quite surprised. In one hand you have the past Wolves of Fenris devoutly loyal to the Imperium, destroying and killing everything in their path to make sure the objective is met and for the overall good. This novel seems to do a 180 on their previous stance. It seems a bit hypocritical, though it makes for interesting concept to dwell upon rather than making it look like problematic fluff.

This is definitely my next read.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-20-14, 07:12 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

It's definitely up there with the best of the BL range. Also a nice little nod to one of Abnetts works at one point. The Grey Knights are depicted really, really well in this. as are the Wolves. Armageddon is suitably epic as well.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-21-14, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcrawford View Post
I was afraid about reading more on Grey Knights/Inquisition fluff but this seems like a good read. I did some looking into the book and I'm actually quite surprised. In one hand you have the past Wolves of Fenris devoutly loyal to the Imperium, destroying and killing everything in their path to make sure the objective is met and for the overall good. This novel seems to do a 180 on their previous stance. It seems a bit hypocritical, though it makes for interesting concept to dwell upon rather than making it look like problematic fluff.

Honestly once you read it you see that there's not change of stance the wolves are the same as they've always been.

Battle of the fang set out to show that wolves treated their allies with respect and were willing to help them.

The emperors gift just shows how far they are willing to go when they believe they are right.

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-21-14, 04:46 PM
Craw-Daddy

Got birthday money. I shouldn't say I'm surprised, but the first books I'm getting are Talons of Horus and the Emperor's Gift.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-23-14, 05:54 PM

Quote:

Hasn't the lore for the First War for Armageddon basically always included the part about the Wolves being furious at how the survivors were treated?
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-24-14, 12:27 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthak View Post
Hasn't the lore for the First War for Armageddon basically always included the part about the Wolves being furious at how the survivors were treated?
Yes, but up until The Emperor's Gift we never saw the nitty gritty of it, and just how far the Wolves were willing to go to do the right thing as they saw it, and what they will do to those who betray them. As said in Stormcaller, "on Fenris, the oath breaker is lower than the beasts."
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-27-14, 11:07 AM

I liked Emperor's Gift but I felt it lavished too much love on the Wolves. I was expecting the Knights to really shine. Instead, it had a lot of "awesome Wolves are awesome" scenes

Still, I'll read anything by Aaron. His prose is that good.

Oh yeah...I think there should definitely be a sequel to Emperor's Gift.

I think the consequences of those actions should definitely be explored and I'm very surprised that Aaron (or another authour) hasn't done so
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-28-14, 06:32 PM

Quote:

I just finished reading "The Emperor's Gift" actually and will be putting up my review in the weekend.

I think you'll find it quite entertaining and interesting, though I have to say that I found the first half of the book to be a little too slow paced for my liking.

It definitely makes you think about the Inquisition and the Space Wolves in a whole new light, and it even sparks a bit of philosophical pondering about the foundation of the Imperium itself, in my opinion.

Check out my Warhammer 40k Book reviews at: Warhammer 40k Book Reviews Youtube Channel
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-28-14, 06:45 PM
Craw-Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40kBookReviews View Post
I just finished reading "The Emperor's Gift" actually and will be putting up my review in the weekend.

I think you'll find it quite entertaining and interesting, though I have to say that I found the first half of the book to be a little too slow paced for my liking.

It definitely makes you think about the Inquisition and the Space Wolves in a whole new light, and it even sparks a bit of philosophical pondering about the foundation of the Imperium itself, in my opinion.
Thats pretty cool. I always liked the fluff behind this book. I sadly did not know The Emperor's Gift was about it.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-28-14, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontytheMighty View Post
I liked Emperor's Gift but I felt it lavished too much love on the Wolves. I was expecting the Knights to really shine. Instead, it had a lot of "awesome Wolves are awesome" scenes

Still, I'll read anything by Aaron. His prose is that good.

Oh yeah...I think there should definitely be a sequel to Emperor's Gift.

I think the consequences of those actions should definitely be explored and I'm very surprised that Aaron (or another authour) hasn't done so
I think the consequences are fairly obvious, the wolves have allot of respect and allies in other astartes chapters and planets.

Any attempt to get ride of them is going to cause allot of chapters to become upset about that.

After all as hyperion stated they are a first founding chapter who remained loyal at a time when it would have been extremely convenient for them to turn.

Secondly another all out war is going to cause more damage than what chaos would have ever done.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode