chainweapons? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-21-08, 02:12 AM Thread Starter

Widowmaker666's Flag is: USA

Default chainweapons?

how do they work? what do they run off of? it would make sense that they are just chainsaws. it never mentions they use a fuel or anything though. they are activated really quick and anyone who has used a chainsaw knows it can be a bitch to get them started sometimes. they also never seem to run out of fuel or whatever they use. i know its a futuristic game but still i don't see how this makes sense. they cant be solar powered. i don't see how they would generate their own power. this is vexing me terribly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-21-08, 02:27 AM

Bush told me it was nuke-you-ler power. Similar to the way the 1 ton armour they wear lets them move around and fight.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-21-08, 02:35 AM Thread Starter

nuclear powered chainweapons? 0.o

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-21-08, 02:50 AM

ironhammer's Flag is: USA

or they run on miniature cold fusion reactors.

And mabey they are hard to start up and so they get them going before the battle starts.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-21-08, 03:02 AM

BloodAngelZeros's Flag is: USA

Everything that a marine uses can be tied into the power source for their suit. Yet, the perplexing part is that in the DOWII trailers they have them reving and giving off exhaust like a regular gasoline powered chainsaw.

"There is a cancer eating at the Imperium. With each decade it advances deeper, leaving drained, dead worlds in its wake. This horror, this abomination, has though and purpose which functions on an unimaginable, galactic scale and all we can do is try to stop the swarms of bio-engineered monsters it unleashes upon us by instinct. We have given the horror a name to salve our fears; we call it the Tyranid race, but if it is aware of us at all, it must know us only as Prey."
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-21-08, 03:46 AM

100 billions worlds, 100 billion models of chain sword.

I assume they are combustion powered with some advanced stable, long lasting fuel. hence the sound. Maybe a few ounces is all it needs for the very high tech motor that has 100hp but is only 2 pounds.

explains the reving, the sound and why they work. a 100hp chain saw would be interesting and unstoppable..well if your as strong as a SM..other wise it would just rip your arm off.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-21-08, 04:07 AM

BloodAngelZeros's Flag is: USA

Well, the engine needed to run a chainsaw is pretty small. Taking into account millenia of technological advancements, it seems a likely scenario that if everything were to remain based around combustion type engines that they've just been made smaller and easier to start. Really, the power of modern day chainsaws is enough to hack through flesh just as easily as they show in the trailers of DOWII. Even in books they describe the SM having to give it a good yank to untug it from an enemy. I doubt fuels have changed all that much because with hundreds of millions of worlds worth of resources to exploit, gas would be probably around a penny a gallon or so. This especially seems the case as even the land raiders, rhinos and other vehicles all have the sound of typical combustion engines not the humm of electric or whatever sound nuclear reactors make. Though, they have learned to harness plasma as a power source.

"There is a cancer eating at the Imperium. With each decade it advances deeper, leaving drained, dead worlds in its wake. This horror, this abomination, has though and purpose which functions on an unimaginable, galactic scale and all we can do is try to stop the swarms of bio-engineered monsters it unleashes upon us by instinct. We have given the horror a name to salve our fears; we call it the Tyranid race, but if it is aware of us at all, it must know us only as Prey."
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-21-08, 09:32 AM

i understand how marines can use them but what about commisionars? (thinking of cain here) they aint super augmented etc
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-21-08, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

guardsmen use chainswords as well.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-21-08, 03:17 PM

Caponey's Flag is: USA

I would think that weilding a chainsword would be a matter of experience. If you were taught to weild a great sword that weighs as much as a six year old from the time you could hold it up you'd become fairly proficient.
The model of chainsword would also be different from human to marine. If you look at the ranged weapons of Guard and Marine armies you'll notice the difference. Guard plasma and melta's and definitely humanized and blocky whereas the Marine issue weapons are designed with mobility in mind. It seems clear to me that whatever style of chainsword Cain uses, (dueling comes to mind for some reason) then it is probably meant for a human.
The issue of start up on chainswords is mainly from a lack of consistency. In the space wolf series theyy have the ability to activate a chainsword by pressing a thumb activated button. They can also be stopped from lack of battery, fuel, ect. or clogged by gore which makes me think that the are only so powerful i.e. mediocre power efficiency compared to their long-term fuel efficiency.

-Tanner
-2000pt Khorne Bezerkers
-1500pt Plague Marines
-2500pt Tau
-500pt Relictors

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode