chainweapons? - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-22-08, 03:19 AM

In reality, most two-handed weapons weighed around 5-8 pounds and at a maximum weight of 10 pounds. People who say that two-handed weapons weighed 40 pounds or so are blowing smoke out of their ass, don't believe them. And if a museum has a weapon that weighs more than 20 pounds, its fake.

The chainswords for the Space Marines and Guardsman probably differ in size and fuel source, but considering the times and carefully concocted diets, an average guardsman is probably much stronger than the average human today.

Power Swords probably use some kind of electrical or psychic power source.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-22-08, 03:25 AM

BloodAngelZeros's Flag is: USA

Power swords likely tap into a power source similar to what is used to power a marines armor. In Omnibus it makes mention of there being a compact fusion reactor within the confines of a marine's backpack. If that's not enough power to power up a weapon, I'm not sure what is.

"There is a cancer eating at the Imperium. With each decade it advances deeper, leaving drained, dead worlds in its wake. This horror, this abomination, has though and purpose which functions on an unimaginable, galactic scale and all we can do is try to stop the swarms of bio-engineered monsters it unleashes upon us by instinct. We have given the horror a name to salve our fears; we call it the Tyranid race, but if it is aware of us at all, it must know us only as Prey."
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-22-08, 10:22 PM

Cato Sicarius's Flag is: United Kingdom

I started a thread once about Power Weapons and how they work and we ended up just talking about how the bunnies off of those adverts would take over the galaxy with Power Swords powered by Duracell batteries.

post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-23-08, 12:05 AM

Camaris's Flag is: Belgium

Quote:
Yet, the perplexing part is that in the DOWII trailers they have them reving and giving off exhaust like a regular gasoline powered chainsaw.
You forgot the main reason why they do this.
It's the same why when a car in a movie collides with another car it flies through the air spectacularly; why someone shot in a movie will keep on fighting instead of suffer gunshot induced shock; why Wolverine's blades are longer than they can actually be while he can still turn his wrist.

It looks cool.

Lemartes is the ugliest model there is.
The constant use of him via the "counts as" rule is sickening and borders on power gaming.
Why do you think there's a normal Chaplain in the army list?
SCREW LEMARTES!
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-24-08, 12:18 AM

Cato Sicarius's Flag is: United Kingdom

Yeah, Chainswords in those trailers have triggers on them...
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-25-08, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaris View Post
You forgot the main reason why they do this.
It's the same why when a car in a movie collides with another car it flies through the air spectacularly; why someone shot in a movie will keep on fighting instead of suffer gunshot induced shock; why Wolverine's blades are longer than they can actually be while he can still turn his wrist.

It looks cool.
could have not said it better. its the same reason that in the pics bolters have a blast. it looks cool. as a self propeld* round it should not have muzzle flash. with a chainsword what sounds more bad ass?? the sound of it kicking on with a roar or a hmmmmmmmmm?? its cooler and thats all.
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-25-08, 06:02 AM

ironhammer's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodAngelZeros View Post
ha, why use lithium if you can use a radioactive substance like promethium. Then again, they must be getting a constant supply of promethium as the half-life of it is only 11 days. Or they've found some way to stabalize it.
Were did you hear that? I asked someone with a BA degree in chemistry and they said Promethium isn't a real substance. Besides, I've read several 40,000 novels and those descriptions of promiethium have lead me to think promiethium is either the imperium's name for gasoline, or napalm, remember both their tanks and flamethrowers run off the stuff as well.

Remember, the Imperium is scared of technology and barely understands it, i can easily believe the chain weapons run off gas, they can go so long without refueling by a combination of fuel-efficient engines and only arming the weapon just as the melee starts.
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-25-08, 08:27 AM
rgw

I always assumed that the chainswords worked just like my weed whacker or chainsaw. It probably has an idle, some sort of trigger to rev it to maximum RPMs, and I could see it running off of alcohol mixed fossil fuels (stuff race cars use).

I could gather that in the next couple years, an engine the size of a chainswords engine (like the one seen in DOW) could probably produce 100hp. So that could produce 10,000 RPM's on a chainsaw that has teeth sharpened down to the molecule.

Before I read the rulebooks thoroughly I assumed those nasty chainswords were power weapons, and who could blame me? I'd be more scared of a chainsword than a powerfist in real life.
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-25-08, 09:42 AM
Alex's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhammer View Post
Were did you hear that? I asked someone with a BA degree in chemistry and they said Promethium isn't a real substance.
Promethium is a real substance, its a chemical element with high radioactivity.

I think the Chainswords would run off some kind of battery and as people have said the exhausts and revving just make it look cooler.

Builder of the Lego Manta

40K Farsight Enclaves
WFB - Brettonians
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-25-08, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Widowmaker666's Flag is: USA

i dont think promethium is real...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode