STC's and the Tau Empire - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-14, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
emporershand89's Avatar
emporershand89's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New England.....somewhere in that mess of awesomness!!
Posts: 2,270
Reputation: 8
Default STC's and the Tau Empire

So I have been reading the lastest Ciaphas Cain novel to catch up on the series, along with other Tau novels on my Tau reading bings on iBooks. A theme crossed my mind the other night that seems to be consistent with Tau's technology development.

So we all know that long before Bi-pedal walkers and Robotics became the backbone of the Tau they relied heavily on Kinetic and Plasma technology similar to the Imperium. Even in the modern 40k age Plasma is the weapon of choice; with Robitic weapons following suit. While the components and sources are different I find that the basic modules seem similar to the Imperium's Plasma technology. Additionally if reviewed Tau history (which I'm still in the process of doing) I find that their advanced technology didn't come round till after the arrival of the Ethereals.

Therefore the theory I put before you gentlemen today is this. Could the origional Ethereal's, and their descendants, have found an STC on Tau'vre or a nearbye planet and harnessed it's information for the Greater Good. Could the Tau have somehow gotten their hands on ancient Imperial Tech and transformed it into their own?

Your thoughts, comments folks..........



"Walk Softely, and Carry a Big Gun!"
emporershand89 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-14, 01:00 PM
Senior Member
 
locustgate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Planet 404
Posts: 2,353
Reputation: 11
Default

To my knowledge the Democalus gulf is the very edge of were humans have settle, so finding a STC beyond it is very very very very E10 unlikely. Before the etherial arrival the tau were in the stone age, so reaching another planet is impossible. How ever what is kind of possible is that a GC era scout ship crashed on T'au and the etherials kept that hidden till they were able to unite the Tau. There is 1 major difference between Tau plasma and early human plasma weapons, the early humans were able to make stable man portable plasma guns, the Tau attempted to do that but was unable to so they decreased the strength.
locustgate is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-14, 01:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Rems's Avatar
Rems's Flag is: Australia
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,717
Reputation: 19
Default

Its unlikely given that there's no evidence of human habitation of the core Sept worlds.

That being said the Tau's spaceship technology received a massive boost when they conveniently stumbled across a derelict ship with functional warp drives on one of the first (the first?) worlds they began to explore. It would be like us finding and reverse engineering a alien spacecraft on the moon. It's theoreticclly possible that the ship in question was a relic of pre-Imperial technology, though there's no evidence for it.
@locustgate The tau weren't quite at Stone Age tech when the etherals arrived. By the time they turned up the tau were at a blackpowder level, increased technological progress stifled by internecine fighting.

If the Tau had discovered an STC system then they'd be far more advanced. As it stands they're only at par or behind the Imperium's technological level. Were they possessing of Golden Age tech they'd be light years ahead.

Rems is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-14, 03:39 PM
Senior Member
 
locustgate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Planet 404
Posts: 2,353
Reputation: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rems View Post
Its unlikely given that there's no evidence of human habitation of the core Sept worlds.

That being said the Tau's spaceship technology received a massive boost when they conveniently stumbled across a derelict ship with functional warp drives on one of the first (the first?) worlds they began to explore. It would be like us finding and reverse engineering a alien spacecraft on the moon. It's theoreticclly possible that the ship in question was a relic of pre-Imperial technology, though there's no evidence for it.
@locustgate The tau weren't quite at Stone Age tech when the etherals arrived. By the time they turned up the tau were at a blackpowder level, increased technological progress stifled by internecine fighting.

If the Tau had discovered an STC system then they'd be far more advanced. As it stands they're only at par or behind the Imperium's technological level. Were they possessing of Golden Age tech they'd be light years ahead.
The tau didn't get their warp tech from a derilect ship it was from a captured Imperial ships during the DG Crusade, (Farsight). Thanks I got when they first discovered.
locustgate is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-14, 10:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Rems's Avatar
Rems's Flag is: Australia
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,717
Reputation: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by locustgate View Post
The tau didn't get their warp tech from a derilect ship it was from a captured Imperial ships during the DG Crusade, (Farsight). Thanks I got when they first discovered.
That doesn't make sense.

The Tau already had an empire, albeit a small one, at the time of the Damocles Gulf crusade. That's the whole reason there was a crusade in the first place; an upstart, expansionist xenos empire was threatening local Imperial space.

To have that empire necessitated having warp travel.

Either the Codex or the Tau's BFG fluff states it was a crashed derelict ship on a nearby planetoid that gave the tau warp tech. It logically has to be.

Rems is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-14, 11:52 AM
Senior Member
 
locustgate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Planet 404
Posts: 2,353
Reputation: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rems View Post
That doesn't make sense.

The Tau already had an empire, albeit a small one, at the time of the Damocles Gulf crusade. That's the whole reason there was a crusade in the first place; an upstart, expansionist xenos empire was threatening local Imperial space.

To have that empire necessitated having warp travel.

Either the Codex or the Tau's BFG fluff states it was a crashed derelict ship on a nearby planetoid that gave the tau warp tech. It logically has to be.
I can't find any mention in the Tau Empire dex of a crash landed imperial ship, before the Crusade.
The tau had near light speed engines.

Location 469(Farsight on a Kindle) :
"The earth caste's invention of the ZFR Horizon Accelerator Engine revolutionised the way the tau crossed the sea of starts. The device allow them to travel at near light speeds, thereby circumventing the worst of the Gulf's malevolent attentions"

Location 776 "O'Vesa made some astonishing dicoveries in the depths of his labs about the esoteric technologies used by the humans' fleet."
locustgate is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-14, 07:48 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 75
Reputation: 3
Default

I'd chalk the "near-light speed" thing up to http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...NoSenseOfScale

Without FTL plenty of the pre-Damocles Crusade fluff in the Tau lore makes absolutely no sense. No way they would have been able to withstand the Imperium if they couldn't travel FTL.
Karthak is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-14, 09:24 PM
Bane of Empires
 
Child-of-the-Emperor's Avatar
Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: England
Posts: 5,131
Reputation: 19
Default

The Tau Empire's First Sphere of Expansion ended because their numbers were spread too thin and travelling the distances between Septs could take up to a generation or more.

The invention of the 'ZFR Horizon Accelerator Engine' (which allowed vessels to achieve "near-light speed") ushered in the Second Sphere of Expansion. Towards the end of this Phase the Tau successfully crossed the Damocles Gulf and settled regions beyond - resulting in their first contact with the Imperium, and eventually, the Damocles Crusade.

In the aftermath of the Damocles Crusade the Earth Caste were able to study a captured Warp Drive which they were able to use to develop their own limited method of Warp travel, which is one of the main instigators of the Third Sphere of Expansion.

That's how the latest Codex portrays it anyway.



Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).
Child-of-the-Emperor is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome