Necron method of space travel - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-26-14, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Default Necron method of space travel

i heard they don't use warp travel but something far better and incredibly faster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-26-14, 08:21 PM

emporershand89's Flag is: USA

Location: New England.....somewhere in that mess of awesomness!!

I actually confess I do not know what the Necrons use to travel through space? Does anyone?

I can only guess that, since they were around at the time of the Elder and the Webway's Creation, that they use a modified version of it that the C'Tan give them access to. Then again their technology to so profoundly confusing and forgiegn even to the rest of Warhammer 40k that they could just as well be using FTL.

"Walk Softely, and Carry a Big Gun!"
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-26-14, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

My guess is that there using something akin to mass effect mass relay which reduces the mass of ships and allow for instantaneous and extremely safe method of travel distances that would take decades if not more with warp travel are done instantly with this. cept necrons don't need giant relays and every ship has em they mastered that tech.

In mass effect the mass relay is better than FTL.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-26-14, 08:46 PM
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

Wrong on both accounts. the main necrontyr travel method is Dolmen Gates. Which they use to hack into the webway. It was what heralded the end of the Old Ones when the necrons breached the webway.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Dolmen_Gates
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-27-14, 07:52 AM

Rems's Flag is: Australia

In their old guise the Necrons possessed a form of FTL called inertialess drive which operated independant of warp travel or the webway. It's one of the things that made them so horrifically powerful.

Now though, as Brother Lucian said they use Dolmen Gates. Without which they're limited to the the slow burning torch ships using conventional drives and ironically become the slowest race in interstellar travel.

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-27-14, 07:58 AM

Hrm, that makes me wonder..

We know about the Emperor's secret project to breach the webway with an access point from Terra within the Imperial Palace. Wouldnt that essentially make it a Dolmen Gate too? Since he was essentially trying to hack into the system.

And we know the Emperor have faced the Cthan in the past, defeating the Dragon and banishing it to Mars. Perhaps he learnt something of their ancient secrets as well. The strange golden metal used in all his special constructions might be inspired by necrodermis.

Last edited by Brother Lucian; 05-27-14 at 08:01 AM.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-27-14, 08:02 AM

Malus Darkblade's Flag is: Kuwait

The Dolmen Gates were inventions of the C'tan who know everything there is to know about the physical/material realm.

The Emperor forced his way into a (possibly dormant Dolmen gate but given the fact that the Emperor used his psychic powers to enter the Webway and the C'tan were anti-anything warp related, it probably wasn't) breach in the Webway using his vast psychic powers via the Golden Throne.

Last edited by Malus Darkblade; 05-27-14 at 08:19 AM.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-27-14, 08:41 AM
Feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malus Darkblade View Post
The Dolmen Gates were inventions of the C'tan who know everything there is to know about the physical/material realm.
Given the time frame of the War in Heaven, it seems unlikely that any c'tan would possess the knowledge necessary to hack the webway in the same way as they possess intricate knowledge of how the laws of reality work.

More likely was that Nyadra'Zatha (the c'tan responsible) figured out how the Webway works via some other means and then was able to show the necrons how to make the Dolmen Gates work.

What interests me is how were the necrons able to wage such a war for so long before that? Were they literally just flying from planet to planet via Torch ships and doing their best to wipe out the Old Ones as best they could? Because if this is indeed the case, we're talking potentially thousands of years before they could reach another world that was nearby by galactic standards.

I feel like this is a hole in the fluff that needs to be sorted out. A war as such the War in Heaven is described can't really occur without both sides having some sort of FTL, and the codex makes it clear that the necrons didn't breach the webway until the closing years.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-27-14, 08:44 AM

What im saying is that the Dragon simply told the Emperor about the Dolmen Gates, learning about the webway and setting out to replicate their feat of travelling the network to avoid dependence on warp travel.

It wouldnt strike me as farfetched that those 2 powerful beings made an awful deal. In exchange for the knowledge of the ancients. The Emperor would move the dragon to Mars, so it might influence the civilization that would come to grow there as he had foreseen. The dragon getting them as its playthings for a brief cooperation with him.

The dragon, or at least a major shard of it would need time to grow and mature, happilly suckling up the cast off life from the mechanicum adepts as they strove to become closer to their cold ideal.

Edit: Regarding the War in the Heaven. Its easy enough to explain. The full power Cthan would litterally be pushing the necron ships across the universe in the blink of an eye. But after their rebellion, using the Dolmen gates was the only 'reliable' method of transportation they had left. Now that the Cthan's power had been broken.

Last edited by Brother Lucian; 05-27-14 at 08:46 AM.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-27-14, 08:58 AM
Feed

I'm not so sure about the c'tan being directly responsible for the necron's pre-Dolmen FTL ability.

Given the necrontyr developed mastery over pocket dimensions and stranger technologies long before they found the c'tan, it strikes me that if there was a way to develop FTL tech, they would have. I'm not convinced that c'tan have the ability to traverse the galaxy in the blink of an eye when they themselves were dependent on solar winds to travel between stars.

More likely is that Inertialess Drive is simply retconned.

Nonsense is our Salvation

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode