Religion in 40k - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-13-08, 03:45 AM Thread Starter

Widowmaker666's Flag is: USA

Default Religion in 40k

its quite funny that religion would fall into paly in warhammer but it does.
the dark angels are based on a poem by Lionel Johnson a poet from the late 1800's early 1900's. he was a catholic convert and alot of his poetry is entwined with symbolisms of his faith but he was also homosexual so he wrote about how he failed his lord. thus creating the Dark Angels "unforgiven" fluff. Later in his life he literally wrote a poem called "the dark angel" which has made references to what i said earlier.

Sammael and Azrael are both Archangels of the Christian church. Azrael is the god of death and his name literally translates as "whom god helps" and Sammael is a guardian angel and patron of Rome and his name comes from "sam" meaning poison and "El" meaning god so his name literally means "poisen of god"

Belial is an evil demon of the bible. he is "the prince that reigns over the northern reaches of hell." he commands 80 legions of demons and his names means "with out worth" or "never to rise."

In ancient Persian religion (Zoroastrianism) Ahriman is the first recorded version of the devil in religious history. Ahura Mazda co created the earth with him and Ahriman countered everything good that Ahura made with evil. The two are brothers but Ahriman betrayed him and became evil.

Horus is the ancient Egyptian god of the sky. His father is Osiris. Osiris was murdered by Set(the god of the underworld) and Horus went to avenge him. He fought and killed set but his eye was injured but was later healed and is used for symbolism. The eye of Horus was the warmasters symbol and everyone of the great crusade knew it as a symbol that there would be a new beginning to any civilization he reached just as Egyptians use it as a sign on renewal. Osiris and Set are brothers so there is betrayal in there just as in 40k. In 40k though Horus is tricked by chaos(set) into betraying and murdering his father.

There are many more Religious symbols and such in the 40 universe but i will leave that for you to discover. i hope you like this. i love information and learning and any opportunity to learn and share something new is awesome! Write back if you have feedback or anything i missed or you want to add.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-13-08, 03:55 AM

BloodAngelZeros's Flag is: USA

Oh there is a big influence of religion on 40k like you say. I think this is mostly due to the fact that everything imperial related also seems to be gothic related. And what was gothic architecture and such mostly related to? That's right, religion. But it only makes sense especially when you look at how the main storyline is now. It's all about heretics and gods and saints and such.

"There is a cancer eating at the Imperium. With each decade it advances deeper, leaving drained, dead worlds in its wake. This horror, this abomination, has though and purpose which functions on an unimaginable, galactic scale and all we can do is try to stop the swarms of bio-engineered monsters it unleashes upon us by instinct. We have given the horror a name to salve our fears; we call it the Tyranid race, but if it is aware of us at all, it must know us only as Prey."
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-13-08, 04:08 AM Thread Starter

that is true. i think it adds a Unique aspect to the 40k universe. well everything in it can be traced back to religion of some sort. like the imperium breaking during the heresy is like the devil falling from heaven and such. i think most things in life are traced back to religion. thats why i think religion was created to give us closure and purpose. i personally am not a believer in a god or divine being but i understand what people may see. i mean life and the world is so complex it seems hard to believe that random bonding of atoms and such created all this. there should be a warhammer imperial cult worshiping the emporer. i dont doubt that there might even be one now. just the thing crazy gamer fanatics do

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-13-08, 04:39 AM
rgw

Alot of the Eldar gods can be related to the Ancient Greek gods. Gives them that old feeling that they don't really matter anymore IMO.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-13-08, 05:38 AM

Zorenthewise's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker666 View Post
Sammael and Azrael are both Archangels of the Christian church. Azrael is the god of death and his name literally translates as "whom god helps" and Sammael is a guardian angel and patron of Rome and his name comes from "sam" meaning poison and "El" meaning god so his name literally means "poisen of god"
A "god of death" in the Christian religion? I sincerely hope you meant angel! Its hard for monotheism to have more than one god...

Azrael and Sammael were names given to angels from the bible, though the angels were not named until the middle ages. Frankly, I'd rather see the angel Gabriel... he was portrayed weilding twin swords with unmatched skill.

Also, the Emperor and the Primarchs are mostly based off of religion and mythology from Earth. You can see Norse, Roman, Greek, Christian, Egyptian, and many more religious references in 40k.

Magnus has a few subtle references to Norse mythology. Odin was the cheif god in Norse mythology, and was known for three main traits: having only one eye, being ridiculously massive, and having a Raven perched upon his shoulder. Tzeentch is known as the Raven God, and the similarities between Norse mythology and Tzeentch are quite clear in Warhammer Fantasy. Oh, and in many pagan religions, the Raven was a sign of prophecy and fate. Who is Tzeentch? The Architect of Fate.

Good catch on Horus, btw! I had been meaning to look that up.

"Did you just deploy your guardsmen in ranks?" - Quote from my last battle

Last edited by Zorenthewise; 08-13-08 at 05:40 AM.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-13-08, 06:10 AM

Lucius Vane's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorenthewise View Post
Magnus has a few subtle references to Norse mythology. Odin was the cheif god in Norse mythology, and was known for three main traits: having only one eye, being ridiculously massive, and having a Raven perched upon his shoulder. Tzeentch is known as the Raven God, and the similarities between Norse mythology and Tzeentch are quite clear in Warhammer Fantasy. Oh, and in many pagan religions, the Raven was a sign of prophecy and fate. Who is Tzeentch? The Architect of Fate.
Don't forget the whole "one eye" thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexington
Ward's writing is the graffiti of an imbecile, scrawled drunkenly on something well-loved, and simply pointing out that it can be true doesn't make it any more palatable.
-Tyranids are a state of hive mind.-
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-13-08, 06:24 AM

Zorenthewise's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius Vane View Post
Don't forget the whole "one eye" thing!
I didn't. That was the first of the three main traits I listed

"Did you just deploy your guardsmen in ranks?" - Quote from my last battle

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-13-08, 10:52 AM

normtheunsavoury's Flag is: England

Reiligion, RPG's and wargames have a very long history together, the first incarnation of dungeons and dragons was slammed by the Christian right for using demon names and 'heathen' iconography.
I believe (and this is purely my own opinion and nothing else) that after Tolkien pretty much invented the fantasy genre (as in Elves and Dwarfs and stuff) people have tried to put their own stamp on his creation and the easiest way to do that is to pile on the ancient mythology.
Ancient and even modern religions are a huge rescource for inspiration and cool sounding names, long may it continue.

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-13-08, 11:21 AM

horus seems like lucifer to me then any other myth even tho his name is egyptian, the favorite that thinks that his creator doesn't love him enough and puts regular ppl before him so he turns half the angels to evil then gets cast into hell ( eye of terror )
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-13-08, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

oops i meant angel of death. i totally forgot to include stuff about the primarchs. Fenris is a wolf in the ancient Norse religions and he is chained but on Ragnarok he is prophesied to break his chains and join in with the ending of the world. And i believe Fenris is the homeworld of the Space Wolves right? Ferrus Manus literally translates as Iron Hand in Latin. im sure there are more that im missing aswell thanks for all the input guys

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode