Dark Eldar and Death - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-14, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

Default Dark Eldar and Death

Its been shown a lot of times, as soon a craftworld eldar dies without their waystone, or its destroyed. Their souls is instantly consumed by Slaanesh.

But how does the Dark Eldar get around that particular fact? History is ripe with Haemonculi resurrecting deceased Druchii as long just a part of them was left.

My own speculation is that their habit of stealing souls essentially masquerades their own souls for a while, giving them a grace period in which to be ressurected. But as Path of the Renegade shows, a too old soul bought back might have a daemon hitching a ride. As was the case with El'uriaq.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-14, 12:26 PM

effigy22's Flag is: United Kingdom

A theory - and this is just a theory *puts on tin foil hat*

It is well documented that the Dark Eldar psychic abilities and diminished to almost non existent levels unlike their CWE counter parts, this could allow their "soul" to float in the warp for a small amount of time to allow the resurrection process to take place. As it is stated in the codex, as long as they don't remain "dead" too long they can be brought back - so the longer they remain dead the more likely they cant be brought back.

The same can be said for frequent deaths - if someone was repeatedly intruding on your property you would soon notice and become more alert, thus making you more likely catching them the next time they decide to intrude.

*removes tin foil hat* as I said - just a theory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Don't, after rolling that final 1 too many, flip out, climb up on the table and jump up and down on your opponent's models screaming 'APOCALYPTIC BARRAGE, MOTHERFUCKER!!!'.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-14, 12:51 PM
Feed

They learned to feed on psychic energy. Essentially inflicting pain to regenerate their own fading souls. Their souls are constantly under threat of being taken by Slaanesh if they die unprotected, but by leaving apart of their souls with the Haemonculi they can be regenerated to live again.

I'm not sure what actually happens to the rest of them, the part that actually dies. I had considered that Slaanesh does indeed claim them, and the regenerated clone is simply that; a clone.

Unless it is by some method that the haemonculus guarded part of their soul is able to draw the rest of it back before Slaanesh takes it. But I'm not really sure, the details are left pretty vague.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-14, 05:09 PM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

This is what Codex: Dark Eldar says on the matter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codex: Dark Eldar
Whereas the Eldar of the Craftworlds learned to deny Slaanesh's hold upon them using mystical spirit stones and infinity circuits, the Eldar of the webway became exceptionally good at ensuring that lesser beings suffer in their stead...

Provided they steeped themselves in the most evil and decadent acts, the Eldar of the webway found that the curse of Slaanesh could be abated. The agony of others nourished their withered souls and kept them vital and strong, filling their frames with unnatural energies. Assuming they could feed regularly enough, the Eldar of the webway became physically immune to the passage of time. So it was that the Dark Eldar were born, a race of sadistic murderers who feed upon the anguish of others in order to prevent the slow death of their immortal souls.
In regards to the Haemonculi Pacts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codex: Dark Eldar
Most Dark Eldar warriors... will at some point enter into a terrible pact with the Haemonculi... The pact states that the Haemonculi will regenerate the warrior's body should he die, and in exchange, the seeker will leave the Haemonculi a permanent portion of his soul. Even a corpse that has been all but destroyed... can be restored to its former glory. Provided this process is enacted within a day or so of the warrior's demise, and his will is strong enough that some of his spirit still resonates within his remains, his animus will slowly regenerate along with his physical form.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
I'm not sure what actually happens to the rest of them, the part that actually dies. I had considered that Slaanesh does indeed claim them, and the regenerated clone is simply that; a clone.

Unless it is by some method that the haemonculus guarded part of their soul is able to draw the rest of it back before Slaanesh takes it. But I'm not really sure, the details are left pretty vague.
As per the above quote, it seems to be the case that the regenerated Eldar is not a clone, but the same Eldar - simply regenerated. Leaving a portion of the Eldar's soul with the Haemonculi prevents Slaanesh from consuming the Eldar in question. I imagine such a process would leave the regenerated Eldar drained and in desperate need to 'feed' his soul with the suffering of others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-14, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

That does answer my question clearly and giving a hint to the true power and influence of the Haemonculi over the Dark Eldar.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode