How would a whole legion do take on all of commorragh? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-13-14, 02:38 AM

SoL Berzerker's Flag is: USA

You also need to remember that the time frame is way different. Commorragh would not be nearly as established and entrenched as it is now back when a Legion and it's Primarch would have assaulted it. This assault would be taking place right as it was starting to grow, the other Eldar sects would not find it so vital to defend because it would not be so large and hold so many of their species.

However, if a Legion were to assault modern Commorragh, I do not think it would succeed. Commorragh, under the leadership of Vect, is one tough cookie. If a Chaos invasion, Mandrake uprising, and Archon civil war happening all within the same couple weeks cannot bring Vect or the city down then nothing can. I am certain of it.

After reading the recent DE books by Andy Chambers I am convinced that the Harlequins would get involved and convince the Craftworlds to join in. Despite their differences, Craftworld Eldar still view the Commorragh Eldar as their own species, and it is well known that the Eldar would kill millions of humans to save but a few dozen of their own kind. They would not hesitate to intervene, in my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-13-14, 05:35 AM
Embrace the Insanity

Insanity's Flag is: Australia

Assuming this is against Modern Commorragh like Berzerker said, I would assume that neither side would win.

If you took all of Commorragh's population and the SM legion and plopped them down on a random planet. SM would surely win.

But Commorragh is a very twisted, dark place, filled with all kinds of entrances, exits and things that go bump in the night.

Both sides would end up taking incredible loses, but I don't think either side would come out as a victor.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-13-14, 10:55 AM

Malus Darkblade's Flag is: Kuwait

A single chapter wiped out several lineages of Dark Eldar nobility and caused untold damage that still lingers in present day Commoragh (albeit Vect probably helped them from the shadows).

An entire legion would annihilate it completely entrenched or not.

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-13-14, 12:18 PM
So be it.

JAMOB's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malus Darkblade View Post
A single chapter wiped out several lineages of Dark Eldar nobility and caused untold damage that still lingers in present day Commoragh (albeit Vect probably helped them from the shadows).

An entire legion would annihilate it completely entrenched or not.
And not even the whole chapter. Wasn't that just, like, a hundred marines?

Quote:
If you go down to the woods today, be wary
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-13-14, 05:27 PM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

In a so-called "pitched battle", I think there is little doubt that a full Legion (led by a Primarch) would triumph.

However, in an invasion of Commorragh, the advantage is played into the Dark Eldar's hands. The dimensions of the Dark City are described as:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codex: Dark Eldar
In the depths of the web way lies Commorragh, the lair of the Dark Eldar; called the Dark City by those who fear to speak its name. Commorragh is no mere metropolis, for it is to the largest of Imperial Hives as a soaring mountain is to a mound of termites. Its dimensions would be considered impossible if they could be read by conventional means. If anything, Commorragh is more like a vast collection of satellite realms and cities linked by uncounted portals and hidden pathways. Viewed from one perspective, Commorragh is a loose collection of far flung nodes spread throughout the arteries of the web way like a malevolent virus. Its clustered concentrations are in reality scattered across the galaxy, thousands of light-years apart in places. Yet these locations are linked together by shimmering dimensional short-cuts. From within the web way’s confines, the immense distances between each sub-realm can be crossed with a single step. Commorragh appears within the web way as a composite entity of impossible scale, a shimmering, contradictory realm the dimensions of which pluck at the sanity of those who approach it. Thousands of ships dock each day within its out flung spines, for the Dark Eldar are far more numerous than even their Craftworld kin suspect.
Any full-scale invasion would require the ability to outmanoeuvre and out-think the leaders of the Dark City. It seems quite a simple process for Vect (or other Archons) to seal (or otherwise hide) the interconnecting "portals and hidden pathways" that necessitate travel between areas of the Dark City. Combine that with the knowledge that the Dark Kin hold concerning the webway itself would put the Space Marine Legion at a distinct disadvantage, perhaps even completely unable to access the Dark City. In many ways Commorragh is unconquerable.

However, as someone else has already pointed out, if we're talking about a hypothetical invasion occurring during the Great Crusade (when Commorragh was not as developed) the advantage would be less clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMOB View Post
And not even the whole chapter. Wasn't that just, like, a hundred marines?
It should be noted that the invasion was facilitated by Vect with the express intention of wiping out (or dethroning) the ancient noble houses. Everything they achieved is thus likely down to Vect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).

Last edited by Child-of-the-Emperor; 05-13-14 at 06:20 PM.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-13-14, 05:47 PM

Creon's Flag is: USA

The Pathnovels make it clear that Commoraugh itself is the " scariest environment imaginable". (Thanks Owen Wilson). I think a whole legion, stuck in the webway without it's starships and support, in a place that opens into Deamon Worlds when you cross the street wrong wouldn't be conquerable at all.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-13-14, 09:11 PM

SoL Berzerker's Flag is: USA

It technically would be possible to conquer the city, but would require both immense amounts of force and an immense amount of knowledge about the Webway. In Path of the Archon, if Yllithian had the power of a Legion behind his back, he likely would have overthrown Vect due to his knowledge of the city. He had the knowledge just not the power, a Legion would have the power, just not the knowledge. Unless the Emperor was leading them.

Now, that's interesting in and of itself. Had the Heresy never happened, and the Emperor established strong connections to the web way and was in the process of cleansing it for Imperial use, he could lead a legion or two to victory. He would have the knowledge and power.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-14, 03:50 AM Thread Starter

So the dark eldars have the home field advantages . I imagine there be heavy damage on both sides but I think the legions have the advantage with the battle barges and battle ships. I mean if there was a path way to Commoragh why not just bomb the place like crazy and get out the same pathway?

When it comes to weapons and armour? I think the space marines have the advantage compared to the dark eldars. Correct me if I;m wrong.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-14, 01:06 PM
So be it.

JAMOB's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak76 View Post
battle barges and battle ships.
I can't recall where I found it, but there was this one time when Dark Eldar captured a battle barge from the inside and then dropped it on an imperial planet. So... That might not work out so well

Quote:
If you go down to the woods today, be wary
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-14, 03:27 PM

DeathGlam's Flag is: United Kingdom

Im sure the Legion would wipe out Commorragh but im also sure that Vect or another high up Archon would have a plan in place so that it ends in a lose lose situation for both sides, as a few of the smarter DE flee in to the Webway.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode