Pretty colours fired by lasguns - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-10-08, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Default Pretty colours fired by lasguns

Hi there.

What colour laser do you think the standard Imperial lasgun fires? I've seen it portrayed as blue, white and red. I've always though, thought of it as red, as demonstrated in Warhammer 40,000: Firewarrior, and the DoW series.

Secondly, what projectiles do the lasguns fire? In a Gaunt's Ghosts epilogue (or prologue) they are described as firing projectiles 'as long and thick as a man's middle finger'. However in DoW, the lasguns fire a long concentrated beam, and have been described as firing such, and in Warhammer 40,000: Firewarrior, the lasgun is depicted to fire circular/ovular balls of red energy.

How do you imagine the lasguns to operate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-08, 03:07 AM
The Traveler

Dirge Eterna's Flag is: USA

Lasbolts, in my imagination, have always been about a foot long, blue/white (white being the hotter center of the bolt), and fired in automatic streams much like blasters from Star Wars. Although, in the same respect, you could manufacture lasbolts of any color, depending on the filters you used to focus the laser.

-Dirge

You'll forgive me, but you must be mistaken. I've met your makers, and they don't even know your name...

GIVING CHASE- ORDO HERETICUS FIC
(Updated Mar. 19)

Hat in the Ring
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-08, 03:25 AM

Exitus_10's Flag is: New Zealand

U cant use filters on a laser to determine the Colour. Essentially Laser is colourless Light Apmlified by the Emmission of Radiation is only seen when the projection hits a solid wall, it gets its colours by the ray being exposed to gassess, red is by using some random gas but green is from using Argon.
According to fluff read long ago, the Las Bolt is red coloured or invisible accdording to who you read it from, it forms a continuous connection between the target and the gun, the Laser or the energy released is possibly shot through a proton tunnel which carries the energy or laser to the target.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-08, 03:25 AM

BloodAngelZeros's Flag is: USA

I've always pictured them as regular laser beams, like that of a ruby-based laser. Just a beam of red light that emits from the end of the rifle to the target for as long as the man wielding it holds the trigger.

"There is a cancer eating at the Imperium. With each decade it advances deeper, leaving drained, dead worlds in its wake. This horror, this abomination, has though and purpose which functions on an unimaginable, galactic scale and all we can do is try to stop the swarms of bio-engineered monsters it unleashes upon us by instinct. We have given the horror a name to salve our fears; we call it the Tyranid race, but if it is aware of us at all, it must know us only as Prey."
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-08, 04:30 AM

I agree with the single long laser that makes contact from the gun to target. I believe the star wars like blasters would be more along the lines of Tau weapons.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-08, 04:35 AM

arhain's Flag is: New Zealand

Quote:
U cant use filters on a laser to determine the Colour.
tell this to the eldar and their fire prisms

"Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that."

"I hate last stands, there's never time to train them."

-Guard Quotes
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-08, 04:37 AM

T.R.get's Flag is: USA

first thing that comes to mind is star wars... then physics classes kick in and make me think of them as clear because lasers move at the speed of light and are just partials put in a line... then I think of them as being green, blue, or purple thinking right off of the top of my head the colors of the more powerful lasers
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-08, 07:31 AM

Cato Sicarius's Flag is: United Kingdom

You could filter it into different coloured light. What if you fired at a prism? After all it's just light. Take out the filter and it really would be 'Pretty Colours fired by Lasguns'!

Anyway, back on the thread, I've always pictured them like that laser off Goldfinger, only much less destructive, and fires in short bursts.

Last edited by Cato Sicarius; 08-11-08 at 02:33 PM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-08, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Hmmmm. Interesting.

I've always thought the 'end of muzzle to body of target' projectile to be, well, lame. So, for me, I imagine the lasgun to fire ultra-heated lasbolts.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-08, 05:55 PM

Exitus_10's Flag is: New Zealand

las bolts arent a seperate entity stored toward the lasgun like bullets are to a AK 47 and such. They are in part stored as in, the energy cellls have power stored in them, most galaxy pattern rifles have amplifiers to absorb the energy from the cell and convert them in to high power energy which can only be stabilizedand displaced through a proton tunnel, some thing like a lightning. As you know ligtning's energy travels through a proton tunnel. It is a similar theory anyway. the colour is determined either by the gas used to encite a proton waveform, EG noble gasses (I think) or whatever the author of a novel feels like. But its mostly right.....mostly.

:Iam better than cyclops, feeling..cyclops: I think

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode