The Imperium needs more marines!? - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-05-14, 05:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock in Training View Post
One thing I noticed though, all the Loyalist legions were outnumbered by the Traitors
True, the traitors did initially outnumber the loyalists (for the most part.)

Until you take into account their losses during Istvaan III, and Istvaan V, the Thramas crusade, the Shadow Crusade, the Battle of Phall, the Alpha Legion stalling the Space Wolves, and probably a hand few of other major incursions during the Age of Darkness.

Though about half of the loyalist legions were mauled leading up to the siege of Terra, the traitors were no less bloodied by it. And in some cases, they might have taken heavier losses at times.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-05-14, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock in Training View Post
Interesting idea, sounds most likely.

One thing I noticed though, all the Loyalist legions were outnumbered by the Traitors lol.
We've gotten the numbers of 8 of the traitor legions, and only 4 of the loyalist ones, and the remaining loyalist legions include, among others, the Ultramarines who were the largest legion period.
post #33 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-05-14, 10:12 PM
hailene's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthak View Post
the Ultramarines who were the largest legion period.
Not quite period. The numbers of the Word Bearers are currently unknown. A Forge World book says that some sources state they might rival the Ultramarines in size.

post #34 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-10-14, 10:19 PM

what it needs is better equipped imperial guard to honest. as in an stc with this http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...ldasseroni.jpg
post #35 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-11-14, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon of Humanity View Post
what it needs is better equipped imperial guard to honest. as in an stc with this http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...ldasseroni.jpg
That would require better trained Imperial Guard, which defeats the whole purpose of the IG.

I know enough to be dangerous
post #36 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-11-14, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMPNOR View Post
That would require better trained Imperial Guard, which defeats the whole purpose of the IG.
They kinda need it. Since the IG is the main warforce they need everything they can get meatshielding won't work for long
post #37 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-11-14, 01:03 AM

Quote:
They kinda need it. Since the IG is the main warforce they need everything they can get meatshielding won't work for long
Seems to have worked for ~10,000 years.

Don't get me wrong, I somewhat agree, but that goes back to my original point of needing better training. I can see elite units getting the cool kit, but when you rove around the stars, scooping up thousands and throwing a rifle in their hands, fancy power armor isn't going to make a hell of a difference.

I know enough to be dangerous
post #38 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-11-14, 05:56 AM

Quote:
You don't realize how terribly the man-power to materiel ratio is slanted in the Imperium. Even the "common" stuff, like Leman Russ tanks can see centuries of service before breaking down.

Think of the time span that encompasses. A Russ that has seen 250 years of service today would pre-date the United States Revolutionary War!

And then the BIG things. Like terminator armor, Baneblades, titans, and battleships. Those things can predate the Imperium. 10,000 years. More than our total current recorded history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMPNOR View Post
People always underestimate the Guard. The Guard is literally the finest trained and equipped soldiers of a planet. They're the cream of the crop.
post #39 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-11-14, 11:16 AM

Oh i don't underestimate the guard with competent commander and decent training they can do wonders. Still thats not the case for many regiments.

as for leman russ and other techs lasting centuries well that says a lot not flashy but built to fucking last.
post #40 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-11-14, 04:38 PM

Quote:
as for leman russ and other techs lasting centuries well that says a lot not flashy but built to fucking last.
Er, sorry. I made the last post sorta half awake. I forgot to make my point, haha.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make yesterday is that to the Imperium, the tools of war is vastly more important than the people. It's very easy to replace the men. The Imperium has incredible amounts of man power to draw upon. It's ability to manufacture new weapons is, relatively, limited.

The Imperial Guard isn't perfect, but it does its best to utilize its abundant resource (man power) while trying to get the most out of its limited resource (materiel).

Last edited by hailene; 05-11-14 at 04:57 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode