How do you view Spacemarines? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-11-14, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

Default How do you view Spacemarines?

Good afternoon Heretics, Oldman with too much time on his hands here and I would like to know how YOU view spacemarines? The fluff on the astartes is wide and varied depending on the author, the setting, time of day etc so I would prefare no quotes from sources but just your opinion on what you think an astartes looks like, do you like them super tall and hulking or just scaled up lean mean killing machines, do like them as disfunctional phycos on a leash or pure cunning killers with humanity at their core, let us know...

Personally I like my spacemarines tall but not too tall, I like to see the connection to the humans they came from, physique wise, I like them to be scaled up versions of gymnasts, like the dudes that do the rings very large upper body arms shoulders with narrow waists to keep em nimble (marines are meant to be twinkle toed) and slightly pea headed, I have always imagined that to fit the extra organs and musculature that marines would be slightly out of preportion with the head looking a little small on the big shoulders. I have always imagined marines having quite deep slightly digitized sounding voices like people with gigantism (and because of dawn of war game).

Personality wise I like my marines to come across as pure killers, I would imagine marines to come across as quite cold individuals, with smiles that do not reach their eyes. I would imagine ordinary people would feel very uncomfortable in their presence but also compelled by them like a rat in the gaze of a king cobra. I would also imagine them to be very particular and precise in their movements and not to chatty when in the company of regular people unless required literally treating social interaction like a mission and acting accordingly.

Well that my take for the basics, what is your take?

Last edited by Old Man78; 04-11-14 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Atrocious spelling and grammer, hopefully a little better now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-11-14, 03:12 PM
Irn Bru 32!

Nacho libre's Flag is: Scotland

Hmm I believe that marines are quite broad, maybe overly so. I think they are suppose to look like over scaled humans and may have some things out of proportion, such as facial features. I heard them being described like this in horus rising.

As for their personalities I think they are arrogant to a certain point due to them believing that they are superior to humans, this is not always the case due to certain astartes such as loken, argal tal and torgaddon. I think they are just like humans because they can still feel emotion.
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-11-14, 03:23 PM

Jolnir's Flag is: Canada

Since they are essentially "super soldiers", I'd see them as possessing two characteristics of psychopathy: boldness (lack of fear, tolerance of danger, etc.), meanness (lacking empathy, disdain of emotional attachment, etc.). However, I wouldn't see them as psychos because I'd see them with enough self control to not be impulsive.

As far as physical stature, I like the gymnast theory that Oldman stated.

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-11-14, 03:37 PM

Squire's Flag is: Soth Korea

In my head I humanize all of my factions a bit. The fluff I've dreamed up for a future CSM project involves a loyalist chapter with a strong connection to their home world/system siding with their people against the Imperium after their home world is condemned for trading with xenos. I'm also on the cusp of starting an Ork project with them being smarter and a little less warlike than the simplistic 40k fluff given to them. I imagine a barbarian race living on a mountainous, desert and jungle environment and typically warring with their neighbours but not necessarily always at war with all of them. Their major ambition is to build something that will take them into space, though many of them believe such a thing isn't possible and only the planet they live on truly exists.

I prefer to think of SM as a little smaller than the lore indicates
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-12-14, 02:00 AM

That's hard to answer. Physical appearance depends very much on the Chapter/Legion of the SM in question.

I picture most Space Marines at least a head taller than the biggest Homo Sapiens around today, with most of them being taller than that. In one of the Heresy books it is mentioned (IIRC) that their facial features are overly broad/squashed due to the increased size. Which makes them harder to distinguish for the average human.
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-13-14, 06:04 AM

emporershand89's Flag is: USA

Location: New England.....somewhere in that mess of awesomness!!

Big, Brawne, Brutes with a human intelligence. They are basically drugged up Knights, or Samurai if you will, using the modern weapons of war to achieve their ends. Simple as that.

"Walk Softely, and Carry a Big Gun!"
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-13-14, 07:04 AM
hailene's Flag is: USA

I'm a little taken back at what people perceive marines to be. Maybe I'm a little off my rocker?

Physically...I think we can all mostly agree with what they are physically.

Mentally, I'm a bit shocked. Everyone so far has described so very...human.

They're not. Not in my mind. Their personalities and motivations have been narrowed down to honor, duty, and loyalty to the Emperor, their Primarch, and their brothers (in that order).

I'm painting broad strokes here (and clearly not all marines feel this way), but I don't think most marines should actually have a rather low emotional intelligence.

They're taken from dangerous worlds where the drive to survive supersedes the finer points of civilization. Not only that, they are taken as *children*. Even if they lived in better circumstances, biologically they're not ready to really understand other people.

Then they're indoctrinated by chemical, psychic, and hypnotic means to fight, listen to orders, and praise the Emperor. And additionally whatever quirks their Chapters holds.

The rest of their time is spent training to fight, recovering from fights, or ultimately fighting.

It's not like marines don't like dealing with humans, they simply do not know how to interact with humans. I think ADB is probably the closest to depicting the inhuman-ness of the Astartes in The Emperor's Gift and Helsreach.

An Astartes is probably closer to an advanced combat servitor than a human in terms of how they think.

Space Marines aren't simply humans with extra organs and super strength. They are other. They are post-human.
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-13-14, 07:16 AM

Drohar's Flag is: United Kingdom

They are just consumable biomass for the ever growing Hive Fleet.

They are human super soldiers with the human bit taken away. I'd say human Nids, just feel what they are meant to feel and do what they are meant to do; Fight fearlessly against enemies of the Emperor.
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-13-14, 07:27 AM
Irn Bru 32!

Nacho libre's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drohar View Post
They are just consumable biomass for the ever growing Hive Fleet.

They are human super soldiers with the human bit taken away. I'd say human Nids, just feel what they are meant to feel and do what they are meant to do; Fight fearlessly against enemies of the Emperor.
I heard that they taste like chicken.
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-13-14, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho libre View Post
I heard that they taste like chicken.
Doesn't everything?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode