Tyranids and the Eye of Terror - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-12-14, 02:04 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Fair enough. In most cases I'm more than happy to engage in a dialectic to discover a more clear version of the setting.

In this case I'm being old and stodgy (and I know it) which is why I don't want to waste your time.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-13-14, 05:31 AM

emporershand89's Flag is: USA

Location: New England.....somewhere in that mess of awesomness!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
I have never heard that 3rd line and find it highly suspect
I have seen this line since the "Gaunt's Ghost" series. I beleive it was a frenzied Cultist warrior that shouted that at Rawne before he blew his head off during the Siege of Vervun Hive. In any case I am going to check on this, but i know i have heard those three lines in sync before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
It may have been something if these had been mortal servants of Khorne who could relish the act, but the daemons themselves would not be able to feed off their own energies would they? And with the tyranids having no souls to give, the daemons' starvation and defeat was inevitable.
They would not have feed anyway. As I said before Khorne was created mainly from a "HUMAN," emotion. Therefore he requires Blood, not Ichor. He needs Souls, not Base Instinct. He also needs an intelligent enemy for his warriors to fight, not a creature that is driven by a general collective. It would be like the Borg trying to Assimilate the Undine from Star Trek.....it just wouldn't happen.

Quote:
Living metal is a name given to describe the metal's regenerative properties. It is no more living than any other metal or rock. Necrons cannot be absorbed in any way by the tyranids, and there is certainly no way tyranids could ever utilize gauss technology. That's just foolish.
It's still physical mass though right? The Necrons Warriors are "Constructs," as their own Codex calls them, and that they are made of metal. Ja?

If it looks like a Chicken, walks like a Chicken, it is a Chicken Serpion. I think whole heartedly the3 Nids would consume it, and probably put the unique metal to some interesting uses. I mean they consumed Leman Russes during the Battle of Macragge, and they started pumping out Carnifex's with some near invincible armor plating.

What I would ask, and perhaps you know the answer, is why the Nids seem to avoid them? Why do the Hive Minds take drastic steps to steer entire fleets away from Necron Tomb Worlds? Have they fought them before, or do they recognize the threat they present?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock in Training View Post
Nids in the warp is a loss of Bio Mass to the Nids.
This is true, but what is the difference between Pure and Corrupt Biomass??? Really it's material either way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
Like wise Nurgle's diseases aren't always corporeal. A supernatural disease would require a supernatural adaption, not an evolutionary one

"Walk Softely, and Carry a Big Gun!"
post #33 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-13-14, 07:38 AM
Feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by emporershand89 View Post
If it looks like a Chicken, walks like a Chicken, it is a Chicken Serpion. I think whole heartedly the3 Nids would consume it, and probably put the unique metal to some interesting uses. I mean they consumed Leman Russes during the Battle of Macragge, and they started pumping out Carnifex's with some near invincible armor plating.
That's plain stupid. A terminator walks like a human, talks like a human but it isn't human. It's the same with living metal. Tyranids cannot make full use of nonliving matter and I have never read of these invincible iron carnifexes.

Quote:
What I would ask, and perhaps you know the answer, is why the Nids seem to avoid them? Why do the Hive Minds take drastic steps to steer entire fleets away from Necron Tomb Worlds? Have they fought them before, or do they recognize the threat they present?
Necrons are terrifyingly efficient, feel little if any fear and have a level of technology that every other race envies. They are the polar opposite of tyranids in terms of life vs technology, and exploit the one weakness that tyranids have. If the bugs have encountered them before, they know this.

The bugs must feed in order to survive and replenish their numbers. The necrons can mine a planet hollow and tear apart the ruins of their own and their enemies machines to regenerate.

The necrons' gauss and tesla technology render living matter to nonexistence or a charred mess, making it difficult to impossible for tyranids to replenish their numbers in a protraced fight against them.

Additionally, the necrons have demonstrated a level of technology allowing them to disrupt psychic energies, something the tyranids are heavily reliant on.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #34 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-13-14, 06:18 PM

Warlock in Training's Flag is: USA

Quote:
This is true, but what is the difference between Pure and Corrupt Biomass??? Really it's material either way
It has more to do with the fact their is no real Bio Mass in the eye of terror. Everything their is Warp Born or Made except the few living humans, space marines, ect there. When a Demon dies, it disintegrates in a puff od smoke or fire on most fluff and video games. What is there to consume for the Nids? entire worlds of blood made of warp stuff? Entire world of already dead orks remade from the warp to please a Khorn Daemon Prince? There is very little Bio Mass in the Eye. Meanwhile the Nids will be losing tons of Bio Mas in the process.
post #35 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-13-14, 07:47 PM
hailene's Flag is: USA

Quote:
The tyranids do not have souls to give,
A little iffy here. What really is a soul? How do we know Tyranids lack a soul, anyway?

Plus I think you may be taking the whole blood and skulls thing too literally.

I mean, if there was a forge world where all the adepts removed their skulls and put their brains in their torso (like Krang from TMNT) and replaced their blood with sacred oils...do you think the followers of Khorne would walk by? I think not.
post #36 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-13-14, 09:01 PM
Feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailene View Post
A little iffy here. What really is a soul? How do we know Tyranids lack a soul, anyway?
A soul is described in the context of 40k as psychic or emotional energy. Wecan be pretty confident that tyranids do not experience emotions as humans would understand, the the lore concerning the Hive Mind makes it apparent that individual creatures have little if no bearing on the state of the Hive Mind itself, which is the repository of all tyranid consciousness after all.

It stands to reason that no individual tyranid has the sort of energy to give that a Chaos God wants. Only if you could attack the Hive Mind directly would you be on the right track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailene View Post
Plus I think you may be taking the whole blood and skulls thing too literally. I mean, if there was a forge world where all the adepts removed their skulls and put their brains in their torso (like Krang from TMNT) and replaced their blood with sacred oils...do you think the followers of Khorne would walk by? I think not.
Actually, I'm not taking it literally at all. It's all about the emotions involved moreso than the act, because that is what the daemons require to draw strength. The daemons are able to feed off the energy of those they slay, it's what makes them one of the most feared forces in the galaxy. Mortal followers likewise provide this energy by their deeds, due to the emotions the feel during the acts they commit.

Daemons require energy to act, and they expend it during the act, the opposite of the above effect. For a daemon incursion to sustain itself, it requires mortal victims with souls, ie: emotions, for them to feed off.

If the tyranids have no individual emotions, no fear on which to feed, then it wouldn't matter whether they have blood or ichor, skulls or carapace. There is simply no energy for the daemons to feed off, and as such it is a losing battle for Chaos.

If this was set in the Eye of Terror or some other warp heavy area, the daemons would have near limitless energy to draw from and the advantage would easily be theirs.

post #37 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-13-14, 11:09 PM

Quote:
The bugs must feed in order to survive and replenish their numbers. The necrons can mine a planet hollow and tear apart the ruins of their own and their enemies machines to regenerate.

The necrons' gauss and tesla technology render living matter to nonexistence or a charred mess, making it difficult to impossible for tyranids to replenish their numbers in a protraced fight against them.

Additionally, the necrons have demonstrated a level of technology allowing them to disrupt psychic energies, something the tyranids are heavily reliant on.
I see, and thank you for the explanation. I agree that if this would probably cause the Nids to run away. If that's true then has anyone ever heard/read of a Necron/Nid fight? What were the results?

Quote:
A terminator
A Terminator...you sure. I'm pretty positive their is a living human being there. Reprocess the metallics and, using genetics and Matter Recontrustion (something the Nids excel at) they could us the metal for building Bio-ships.

I think you really underestimate the power of Nature that the Nids control Serpion. Necrons or not they consume everything.....EVERYTHING......on a planet and put it to use.

post #38 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-14-14, 04:28 AM
Feed

No, they do not.

There are examples of admech worlds and outposts stripped of organics with all metals and machine parts left behind. They don't, can't, just eat anything.

post #39 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-14-14, 04:45 AM

Quote:
There are examples of admech worlds and outposts stripped of organics with all metals and machine parts left behind. They don't, can't, just eat anything.
Really, source? Being a long-time Nid fan I'd like to read this as I've never heard of it. The usual description is that the planet is stripped down to the rocks and foundation (a.k.a dirt). If there are metals being left I'd love t hear when and how.

post #40 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-14-14, 09:33 AM
Feed

Quote:
Really, source? Being a long-time Nid fan I'd like to read this as I've never heard of it. The usual description is that the planet is stripped down to the rocks and foundation (a.k.a dirt). If there are metals being left I'd love t hear when and how.
Warriors of Ultramar, and I believe one of the Cain novels shows this as well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode