Renegade but Loyal Chapters? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-02-14, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

I did consider them however the =I= in question is Ordo Malleus rather than Xenos, and strongly so, kind of rules out Deathwatch sadly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-14, 09:56 PM

Warlock in Training's Flag is: USA

Although the Soul Drinkers is mostly destroyed as per the last book, they were 100% the best thing to a loyal renegade chapter out there in fluff.

Their color scheme, and unique opportunities for custom characters (due to the mutations) make them a awesome chapter to do in miniatures.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-14, 10:45 PM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

A recanted Fallen would be very good, or how about an Alpha Legionaire a million and one ways to imagine why he would knocking about with a radical =I=

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-14, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock in Training View Post
Although the Soul Drinkers is mostly destroyed as per the last book, they were 100% the best thing to a loyal renegade chapter out there in fluff.

Their color scheme, and unique opportunities for custom characters (due to the mutations) make them a awesome chapter to do in miniatures.
I haven't read the Soul Drinkers books and I'm not that keen to start, SM novels aren't really my thing so I wouldn't want to touch them just because I don't know the ins and outs of the fluff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman78 View Post
A recanted Fallen would be very good, or how about an Alpha Legionaire a million and one ways to imagine why he would knocking about with a radical =I=
Yeah I'm pretty sold on the recanted Fallen idea. I'd love to have a AL but a certain BL libby author has already got that angle covered.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-14, 05:14 AM

emporershand89's Flag is: USA

Location: New England.....somewhere in that mess of awesomness!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobite View Post
I haven't read the Soul Drinkers books and I'm not that keen to start, SM novels aren't really my thing so I wouldn't want to touch them just because I don't know the ins and outs of the fluff.
You folks skip around the Soul Drinkers like they matter nothing to this very relevant question. Indeed the Soul Drinkers are a prime exmaple, if not THE prime example, of a Space Marine Chapter that went rogue in the service to the Emporer. Unlike many other chapters that eventually, or directly, fell into the waiting arms of Choas the Soul Drinkers stayed loyal to the Emporer's light; even if they forsaked the Imperium as a organization.

Their Chapter Master, Sarpeon, managed to lead them for quite some time in service to the Emporer after he declared his chapter seperate from the Imperium. This was mainly due to the fact that the Mechanicus, the bastards they are, tried to screw them for a relic that clearly belonged to the Chapter. Sadly they eventually meet their end at the hands of the Imperial Fists; ironically when they had just smashed a Tzeetch Daemonic Prince into Oblivion.

Now tell me that's not an interesting read. Trust me Jacobite....it is worth your time.

"Walk Softely, and Carry a Big Gun!"
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-14, 07:08 AM
hailene's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by emporershand89 View Post
Indeed the Soul Drinkers are a prime exmaple, if not THE prime example, of a Space Marine Chapter that went rogue in the service to the Emporer
Not to get who-has-a-sadder-fall (which I think the Thousand Sons and possibly the Alpha Legion may win out), but I think the Astral Claws fall was more interesting.

Plus the Soul Drinkers were written by Ben Counter. I have never found his work very...good. In terms of fitting with fluff and his writing style.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-14, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailene View Post
Not to get who-has-a-sadder-fall (which I think the Thousand Sons and possibly the Alpha Legion may win out), but I think the Astral Claws fall was more interesting.

Plus the Soul Drinkers were written by Ben Counter. I have never found his work very...good. In terms of fitting with fluff and his writing style.
Astral Claws fall was one of the genuine intention to do good paired with extreme arrogance and the inability to take a telling off and admit when they broke the rules. The Administration in turn were being fucktards about the whole thing. It was only in the later days that the rot really began to take affect, before hand they were not any more traitorous than the Flesh Tearers, Minotaurs or Carchardons. Personally I find the Relictors "fall" from grace the most interesting seeing as it's one Radical (Cyarro) screwing over another group of Radicals (the Relictors) to get what he wants and using Puritans (the Grey Knights) to do the job for him.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-14, 01:14 PM

GiftofChaos1234's Flag is: Australia

What about the odd marine who was on secondment to the Deathwatch when his chapter was destroyed? Said marine's time with the DW is up, what is he going to do? He get's a message from your curious =I= dude and he has something to do in the name of the Emperor once again!

So basically you could use a marine from ANY destroyed chapter or hell even a renegade chapter with one marine who didnt turn because he hadn't been with them for a damn long time.

Just a thought

Last edited by GiftofChaos1234; 04-13-14 at 01:17 PM.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-14, 11:14 PM

emporershand89's Flag is: USA

Location: New England.....somewhere in that mess of awesomness!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailene View Post
but I think the Astral Claws fall was more interesting.
I must concur though I'm sorry you don't like Ben's writing. I found it quite invigorating.

"Walk Softely, and Carry a Big Gun!"
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-14-14, 12:20 AM

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

Third company of the Avenging Sons chapter turned Renegade.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode