Emperor Finishing the Webway Link - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-22-14, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

SoL Berzerker's Flag is: USA

Default Emperor Finishing the Webway Link

So I got these questions from the other thread that's up right now. Thought it deserved its own thread.

So the Emperor supposedly wanted to use Magnus to hold the Webway open for Imperial use, wouldn't the other Primarchs see issue with his mind being blatantly abused? No chance he would willingly accept such a position. It seems like the Emperor was setting himself up for the rebellion, even without the aid of Chaos.

Then, once he finished his link to the Webway at Terra, how does that suddenly allow Imperial ships to use the Webway? Wouldn't they need some new technology for the entire Imperium?

Final question, couldn't the Eldar and Dark Eldar still defend the Webway? If the Emperor made the link to the Webway, wouldn't that just allow the Eldar and Dark Eldar to invade Terra from that Webway portal? With all the Primarchs out fighting in the Crusade, could they keep their foothold in the Webway?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-22-14, 08:47 PM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoL Berzerker View Post
So the Emperor supposedly wanted to use Magnus to hold the Webway open for Imperial use, wouldn't the other Primarchs see issue with his mind being blatantly abused? No chance he would willingly accept such a position. It seems like the Emperor was setting himself up for the rebellion, even without the aid of Chaos.
In A Thousand Sons Magnus (seemingly) becomes aware of what the Emperor intended for him (after their minds met in the Imperial Dungeon) and deeply regretted not being able to fulfil that role. He certainly didn't see it as himself being abused, he would have considered it an honour to be the conduit by which the Imperium consolidated it's position as the primary power in the galaxy.

Quote:
Then, once he finished his link to the Webway at Terra, how does that suddenly allow Imperial ships to use the Webway? Wouldn't they need some new technology for the entire Imperium?
They would have had access to the wider webway network and thus access to millions of portals throughout the galaxy - assuming they could have successfully navigated the network and fended off the Eldar and other species.

What is worth mentioning though is that the webway was incredibly damaged due to the Fall of the Eldar, and wasn't as extensive or as effective as it was pre-Fall - still more stable than warp travel though.

Quote:
Final question, couldn't the Eldar and Dark Eldar still defend the Webway? If the Emperor made the link to the Webway, wouldn't that just allow the Eldar and Dark Eldar to invade Terra from that Webway portal? With all the Primarchs out fighting in the Crusade, could they keep their foothold in the Webway?
The Eldar would have posed a major stumbling block. But assuming the Emperor could have maintained a sustainable access point, the inexhaustible armies of humanity would have eventually overwhelmed the Eldar by negating their one primary advantage (the webway itself). Being so soon after the Fall as well, the Dark Eldar weren't as entrenched or established in the webway as they are now in M41.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).

Last edited by Child-of-the-Emperor; 02-22-14 at 08:51 PM.
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-22-14, 08:50 PM

Malus Darkblade's Flag is: Kuwait

Apparently Magnus would have relished the chance to lead entire armies via telepathy and to have his powers augmented by the Golden Throne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child-of-the-Emperor View Post

The Eldar would have posed a major stumbling block. But assuming the Emperor could have maintained a sustainable access point, the inexhaustible armies of humanity would have eventually overwhelmed the Eldar by negating their one primary advantage (the webway itself). Being so soon after the Fall as well, the Dark Eldar weren't as entrenched or established in the webway as they are now in M41.
Just six or seven of the original legions, IMO, would have been able to wipe out the combined forces of both Eldar.

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-22-14, 08:56 PM
Bane of Empires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malus Darkblade View Post
Just six or seven of the original legions, IMO, would have been able to wipe out the combined forces of both Eldar.
Maybe. Though that is a monumental commitment to a single campaign.

I've no doubt that if the Emperor was able to maintain his access to the webway (assuming the Eldar were unable to seal off that section of the webway for example) the armies of humanity would have eventually overrun the Eldar, but it would have still been a major effort.

Quote:
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-22-14, 09:23 PM

Creon's Flag is: USA

To save humanity from the Perils of Warp Travel? I'm sure he'd have dedicated every resource he had to clearing the "Imperial star portal" from those nasty xenos squatters.
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-22-14, 09:54 PM

Wouldn't the Eldar then have the whole webway collapsed? (and doom themselves in the process, I know...)
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-23-14, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanov77 View Post
Wouldn't the Eldar then have the whole webway collapsed? (and doom themselves in the process, I know...)
I don't think the eldar would commit mass suicide, I mean they seem a rather strong desire to live, hell they've survived for what 10k+ years after 80% of their race had their souls sucked out like a crawfish being eaten by a redneck.
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-23-14, 01:56 AM
hailene's Flag is: USA

My own knowledge of the Eldar is a bit limited, but they can travel to other planets by other means than the Webway, right?

My understanding of the Webway is that it's like a...train system, of sorts. Webgates at particular planets or points of interest that a traveler can "stop" at, right?

Whereas normal warp travel is closer to a car (or maybe sky diving since you just land in the general location you're aiming at...most of the time). You can pick the spot you want. There's no real restrictions.

I assume that shutting the Webway would be a horrendous loss to the Eldar, but it would not spell their doom as they have other methods of travel, right?
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-23-14, 03:37 AM

Malus Darkblade's Flag is: Kuwait

They can since their ships have no equivalent amongst the various races with the exception of the Necrons but why would they when they have instantaneous travel (Webway).

However, despite how fast their ships are, space is a massive place so they would not be able to reinforce, invade, or defend their worlds from enemies like how they're doing now.

And where they to travel via the Warp like the Imperium does, I think they'd suffer a lot more since their souls are much brighter and so they'd be under attack at a much more frequent rate and perhaps they'd draw the attention of the strongest denizens of the warp. Also, I think because of their reliance on the Webway all this time, they don't or would not be able to come up with something like a Geller field (speaking of which, I wonder how the Orks/Tyranids manage to do it without incurring massive losses in their numbers. Though the latter probably can be said to lack souls).

Without the Webway and in their diminished post-Fall state, they would have perished long ago I think.

Last edited by Malus Darkblade; 02-23-14 at 03:40 AM.
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-23-14, 09:15 AM
Bane of Empires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanov77 View Post
I very much doubt they have the ability to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailene View Post
My own knowledge of the Eldar is a bit limited, but they can travel to other planets by other means than the Webway, right?

My understanding of the Webway is that it's like a...train system, of sorts. Webgates at particular planets or points of interest that a traveler can "stop" at, right?

Whereas normal warp travel is closer to a car (or maybe sky diving since you just land in the general location you're aiming at...most of the time). You can pick the spot you want. There's no real restrictions.

I assume that shutting the Webway would be a horrendous loss to the Eldar, but it would not spell their doom as they have other methods of travel, right?
As Malus said, the loss of the webway would likely be a fatal blow to the Eldar. The webway allows them almost-instantaneous pin-point access to millions of locations throughout the galaxy. Not only that, but it is a refuge for the majority of their species (Dark Eldar & Harlequins) - which is utilised to avoid the predations of She Who Thirsts. The webway wouldn't only remove their only reliable method of travel and communication, but also their only relatively safe refuge from the Dark Prince.

The only other travel alternative to the Eldar would be warp travel, which would be much more dangerous (perhaps even suicidal) for the Eldar - given their innate connection to Slaanesh and much higher warp presence.

NB: Mankind's dominance of the webway would also likely have hindered the Necron Dynasties as well, given that their only method of travel (outside of the torch-ships) is the webway. The Imperium's conquest of the webway would have gone a long way to ensure Imperial dominance of the galaxy for a long, long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malus Darkblade View Post
(speaking of which, I wonder how the Orks/Tyranids manage to do it without incurring massive losses in their numbers. Though the latter probably can be said to lack souls).
The Tyranids don't utilise warp travel.

Quote:

Last edited by Child-of-the-Emperor; 02-23-14 at 09:17 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode