Emperor Finishing the Webway Link - Page 5 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-15-14, 04:55 PM

Warlock in Training's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon of Humanity View Post
Perhaps imp now tech is inferior but in old days of man thats another story there was this novel some sort of super ship the mechanicus have from old days it destroyed an eldar cruiser with one shot during a gravitational disturbance with pin point prefect accuracy with weapons called chorno canons
In the novel Demon World, a Chaos Lord had control of a Dark Age of Technology ship that granted him bone armor more durable than power armor, as well 3D constructs that appeared out of thin air like abilities.

Dark Age of tech has many great things, but none of it is mass produce like Eldar stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-15-14, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock in Training View Post
In the novel Demon World, a Chaos Lord had control of a Dark Age of Technology ship that granted him bone armor more durable than power armor, as well 3D constructs that appeared out of thin air like abilities.

Dark Age of tech has many great things, but none of it is mass produce like Eldar stuff.
Mainly cause humanity lost the knowledge required to mass produce that plus the mechanicum and its religious crap.

back in the old days we could shurn that out like one shurns out cookies.
post #43 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-16-14, 02:08 AM
Deathwing Commissar

Phoebus's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Eldar seers foresaw the coming Fall. Thus why so many Craftworlds escape to begin with, and the Dark Eldar made many dimensions in the Webway. They were not blinded at all. They simply did not care, at least more than half did not care, and just dealed with it.
The driving theme of the Eldar in the 41st millennium is that they are a dying race. They didn't just "deal" with the Fall. The Craftworld Eldar were the ones that foresaw the Fall. They were a tiny, almost forgettable fraction of an incredibly vast empire. Even if each and every Craftworld IS the equivalent of a full-fledged planet (in terms of population, etc.), compared to the galactic civilization they once were, they amount to what the Jehova's' Witnesses are to in the United States. The Dark Eldar are the remnant of the mainstream of their race, which by no means was prepared for what was to come. That mainstream was absolutely annihilated.

post #44 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-16-14, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebus View Post
The driving theme of the Eldar in the 41st millennium is that they are a dying race. They didn't just "deal" with the Fall. The Craftworld Eldar were the ones that foresaw the Fall. They were a tiny, almost forgettable fraction of an incredibly vast empire. Even if each and every Craftworld IS the equivalent of a full-fledged planet (in terms of population, etc.), compared to the galactic civilization they once were, they amount to what the Jehova's' Witnesses are to in the United States. The Dark Eldar are the remnant of the mainstream of their race, which by no means was prepared for what was to come. That mainstream was absolutely annihilated.
Actually the Dark Eldar make up a large portion of the species that knew what was going to happen and prepare for it. Then you forget the Exodites of said craft worlds tha exist through the galaxy before the fall. The empire was crushed, but easily 1/4 of the Eldar race forsaw the danger and lived. Nowhere near the tiny amount your hyping here.
post #45 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-16-14, 05:42 AM

Scrad's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Actually the Dark Eldar make up a large portion of the species that knew what was going to happen and prepare for it. Then you forget the Exodites of said craft worlds tha exist through the galaxy before the fall. The empire was crushed, but easily 1/4 of the Eldar race forsaw the danger and lived. Nowhere near the tiny amount your hyping here.
I don't know where you're getting this info from? The Eldar that would later come to be known as Dark Eldar, largely did not know what was going to happen. They were blinded by their blatant disregard and hedonism. If you're insinuating that Commorragh was built to prepare for the fall that is incorrect:

"Building realms and outposts within the Webway to act as ports for inter-galactic travel, the city of Commorragh was founded. Isolated within the Webway, Commorragh itself soon became a bastion for pleasure cults and increasingly depraved acts" - Codex: Dark Eldar (5th Edition).

It was during this time that the maiden and craft world Eldar began to shy away from the rest of their race.
post #46 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-16-14, 06:13 AM
hailene's Flag is: USA

Quote:
ctually the Dark Eldar make up a large portion of the species that knew what was going to happen and prepare for it.
Source? To my knowledge the Dark Eldar are simply the descendents (or survivors) of the Fall because they simply had the fortune of partying in the webway during The Fall.

The reason why the Eldar that would become the Dark Eldar went to the webway is, as their Codex states, "They relocated their power bases into the labyrinth dimension known as the webway, for such was their influence that they could command entire sub-realms to be crafted in which to continue their debased works."

Furthermore it goes to say that the *first* to foresee The Fall and escape were the Exodites--note that this happened AFTER the ancestors of the Dark Eldar entered the Webway. If their ancestors fled to the webway to endure The Fall, they (the Dark Eldar ancestors) would have been first, not the Exodites.

Quote:
The empire was crushed, but easily 1/4 of the Eldar race forsaw the danger and lived
Wow, really, 1/4th? Source, please?

Last edited by hailene; 05-16-14 at 06:47 AM.
post #47 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-16-14, 06:35 AM

Moriouce's Flag is: Sweden

Start using sources or clearly satte that it it your theory based on this and that.

Good to be green

Barks Dakka Ladz: W3-D2-L3
Altansar Eldar: W3-D0-L2

post #48 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-16-14, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrad View Post
I don't know where you're getting this info from? The Eldar that would later come to be known as Dark Eldar, largely did not know what was going to happen. They were blinded by their blatant disregard and hedonism. If you're insinuating that Commorragh was built to prepare for the fall that is incorrect:

"Building realms and outposts within the Webway to act as ports for inter-galactic travel, the city of Commorragh was founded. Isolated within the Webway, Commorragh itself soon became a bastion for pleasure cults and increasingly depraved acts" - Codex: Dark Eldar (5th Edition).

It was during this time that the maiden and craft world Eldar began to shy away from the rest of their race.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hailene View Post
Source? To my knowledge the Dark Eldar are simply the descendents (or survivors) of the Fall because they simply had the fortune of partying in the webway during The Fall.

The reason why the Eldar that would become the Dark Eldar went to the webway is, as their Codex states, "They relocated their power bases into the labyrinth dimension known as the webway, for such was their influence that they could command entire sub-realms to be crafted in which to continue their debased works."

Furthermore it goes to say that the *first* to foresee The Fall and escape were the Exodites--note that this happened AFTER the ancestors of the Dark Eldar entered the Webway. If their ancestors fled to the webway to endure The Fall, they (the Dark Eldar ancestors) would have been first, not the Exodites.

Wow, really, 1/4th? Source, please?
Absolutely right on the Dark Eldar. I rechecked, and it was Exodites and Craftworld I was remembering. Quotes in the uploads of how the Exodites and Craftworld were the ones that foresaw the destruction.

As for the my random 1/4th number, this is base purely on my common sense and logic .

The Eldar Civilization was based around the Eye of Terror. The Eye of Terror only makes up 1/10 at most of the galaxy. The Eldar Empire was the WHOLE GALAXY, which means many Exodite or Maiden Worlds (Which are in codexes and fluff) populated by Eldar that remained untouched. Add in all the Dark Eldar in the Webway, and the 10+ Craftworld Eldar on their country size ships make me fully believe in no way in hell could the fall killed more than 3 quarters of the race. By statistics that should be impossible, and supported in my view of the many ways Eldar survived or out right avoided the major disaster zone that is the EoT.

I cannot be convince anyway they were so nearly wiped out. Especially when in the codex its states the Eldar Birth Cycle cannot compete with the other races which is why the (key word here) Declined over time. Not nearly wiped out to extinction, they were declining over 10,000 year period to it.
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture1.PNG (26.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: png Capture2.PNG (55.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: png Capture3.PNG (289.0 KB, 1 views)
post #49 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-16-14, 02:25 PM

Moriouce's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Absolutely right on the Dark Eldar. I rechecked, and it was Exodites and Craftworld I was remembering. Quotes in the uploads of how the Exodites and Craftworld were the ones that foresaw the destruction.

As for the my random 1/4th number, this is base purely on my common sense and logic .

The Eldar Civilization was based around the Eye of Terror. The Eye of Terror only makes up 1/10 at most of the galaxy. The Eldar Empire was the WHOLE GALAXY, which means many Exodite or Maiden Worlds (Which are in codexes and fluff) populated by Eldar that remained untouched. Add in all the Dark Eldar in the Webway, and the 10+ Craftworld Eldar on their country size ships make me fully believe in no way in hell could the fall killed more than 3 quarters of the race. By statistics that should be impossible, and supported in my view of the many ways Eldar survived or out right avoided the major disaster zone that is the EoT.

I cannot be convince anyway they were so nearly wiped out. Especially when in the codex its states the Eldar Birth Cycle cannot compete with the other races which is why the (key word here) Declined over time. Not nearly wiped out to extinction, they were declining over 10,000 year period to it.

"Resuring that a tiny proportion of the race reach safty" "most where overwhelmed" "some survived hundreds or thousands of years"

So the majority of that tiny proportion died out within some thousands of years. Older codexes also states that only the exodites on the furthers fringes where untunched. All o the galaxy without its fringes should be more like 9/10 instead of 1/10 of the eldar being effected by the Fall.

Now I don't know how many eldar resided within the webway at the time of the Fall, niether how many gled to become exodites. But with the wording above I would estimate that mostly 1-10% survived the fall.

This is also taken into account real world examples as how many Sweds emigrated to the US during the 1870-1920th.

Good to be green

Barks Dakka Ladz: W3-D2-L3
Altansar Eldar: W3-D0-L2

post #50 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-16-14, 02:38 PM

Quote:
The Eldar Civilization was based around the Eye of Terror. The Eye of Terror only makes up 1/10 at most of the galaxy. The Eldar Empire was the WHOLE GALAXY, which means many Exodite or Maiden Worlds (Which are in codexes and fluff) populated by Eldar that remained untouched.
The Maiden Worlds were, by definition pretty much, uninhabited at the time of the Fall, most remain so. The Eldar Empire wasn't like the Imperium, it didn't stretch from one end of the galaxy to the other in a string of occupied worlds. The Eldar Empire ruled the galaxy simply because the Eldar were untouchable in their might. Aliens were all over the galaxy during this time while the Eldar remained primarily in the area that would become the Eye. That's how humanity was able to spread across the stars, to occupy large parts of the current Imperium, while the Eldar were still ascendent. The Eldar didn't live everywhere, but they ruled everywhere.

The Eye ripped away the entire heart of the Eldar Empire and almost the entire race died.

Quote:
Add in all the Dark Eldar in the Webway, and the 10+ Craftworld Eldar on their country size ships make me fully believe in no way in hell could the fall killed more than 3 quarters of the race. By statistics that should be impossible,
I'm curious as to what statistics you're using to support the idea that the Eldar Empire, a race of such power and plenty that it ruled the entire galaxy with unquestioned might for millennia, was around 100 worlds in size (since the Craftworlder's have around 10 worlds if we're generous and the DE maybe half as much again with the Exodites being negligible in comparison). The Imperium is a million worlds and it's reign is not as unquestioned as the Eldar's was. While technological and psychic ability certainly contributed to their dominance, there's simply no way they could've been the galacitc power with an empire that size.

Quote:
The Eldar codecii's both state that the Fall was an apocalypse and that the race basically died on that day. There simply isn't enough time since the Fall for slow breeding to have crippled the Eldar so extensively, seeing as their only like one or two generations out.

"Look into my eyes, and see your death."
"Let them hate, so long as they fear."

Last edited by MEQinc; 05-16-14 at 02:45 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode