Dark Eldar and Farseers. - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-20-14, 10:36 AM

effigy22's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
But would the DE give enough of a shit about events that may not affect them to take on a legion?
If a Farseer has enough sway with them then yes. If they dont and it was that damn important - The Harlequins will make them... No one messes with the Harlies, not even the Dark Eldar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Don't, after rolling that final 1 too many, flip out, climb up on the table and jump up and down on your opponent's models screaming 'APOCALYPTIC BARRAGE, MOTHERFUCKER!!!'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-20-14, 10:38 AM

BlackGuard's Flag is: USA

If the death of Angron would somehow tip the balance of the conflict against the Emperor (not sure how) and ensure Horus won, I could see it. If the Cabal was truthful and the Emperor was slain and Chaos eventually extinguished because of it then that would be very beneficial to the Dark Eldar who may no long have had to deal with She-Who-Thirsts.

I've not read or listened to the Butcher's Nails (I thought it was an audio drama ... could be wrong). The Dark Eldar may not necessarily serve Slaanesh so much as they grudgingly work around it, but Khorne may also be a natural enemy to them because of this relationship. Preventing Angron from becoming the Son of the Blood God just to "hurt" Khorne may have been reason enough for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman78 View Post
The chaos gods abandoned Horus most likely because they saw the can of whoop ass coming their way and wanted out of the way so as not to get fucked up!
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-20-14, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackGuard View Post
If the death of Angron would somehow tip the balance of the conflict against the Emperor (not sure how) and ensure Horus won, I could see it. If the Cabal was truthful and the Emperor was slain and Chaos eventually extinguished because of it then that would be very beneficial to the Dark Eldar who may no long have had to deal with She-Who-Thirsts.
If the death of Angron saved a single eldar life, they'd do it. Because the Eldar are more important than any human.
As a side note, the Cabal is not the Eldar. There are Eldar involved in the Cabal, but the Eldar as a race could very well have different goals to the Cabal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Lucian View Post
Hrm, didnt the path system only come into being AFTER the fall?
But there's nothing to say there weren't Farseers before that and that the path came afterwards to add more discipline to a necessary job. Although before, they could've just been doing it for fun, lolz and trolling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emporershand89 View Post
Indeed, but there are many mysteries of the Webway that humans do not understand. It would not surprise me to find that DE and Eldar have meet behind the curtains and signed secrets pacts/allainces/deals.
They do - I can't remember which book it was, but there is one where the CE and the DE make a deal and the CE sell out their representatives to the DE as a 'goodwill gesture'. Then the DE put the CE reps in an arena...

(Might be one of the deathwatch books?)

Last edited by Gret79; 02-20-14 at 01:25 PM.

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-20-14, 03:33 PM

Over Two Meters Tall!'s Flag is: USA

Quote:
then that would be very beneficial to the Dark Eldar who may no long have had to deal with She-Who-Thirsts.

The Dark Eldar may not necessarily serve Slaanesh so much as they grudgingly work around it,
Sorry if I'm misreading your post, but it seems that you're suggesting that the DE either work with/around/for Slaanesh? My understanding is that every Eldar, regardless of their post-Fall status, are literally in mortal terror of Slaanesh, who desires only to find any way to eat their souls. Am I missing something fundamental?

The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you have to load, or if you have to unload, go to the White Zone. You'll love it... it's a way of life.

Nick Naylor: Cigarettes in space?
Jeff Megall: It's the final frontier, Nick.
Nick Naylor: But wouldn't they blow up in an all oxygen environment?
Jeff Megall: Probably. But it's an easy fix. One line of dialogue. 'Thank God we invented the... you know, whatever device.'
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-21-14, 12:59 AM

BlackGuard's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over Two Meters Tall! View Post
Sorry if I'm misreading your post, but it seems that you're suggesting that the DE either work with/around/for Slaanesh? My understanding is that every Eldar, regardless of their post-Fall status, are literally in mortal terror of Slaanesh, who desires only to find any way to eat their souls. Am I missing something fundamental?
You did not misread it, I may have a flaw in my understanding of Dark Eldar. I have been under the assumption that they somehow send souls to Slaanesh to fend him/her/it off of them OR that they somehow consume souls to prolong their lives to prevent their eventual deaths and thus consumption by Slaanesh.

Perhaps their line of thinking, if my latter belief is true, that by killing Angron and offering his soul to Slaanesh it may somehow fend it off a little longer. Of coarse, I lack any real knowledge of Xenos races in 40k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman78 View Post
The chaos gods abandoned Horus most likely because they saw the can of whoop ass coming their way and wanted out of the way so as not to get fucked up!
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-21-14, 07:30 AM

The Eldar are all in mortal terror of slaanesh - the craftworld eldar who wear spirit stones to prevent their souls dissipating into the warp upon death - they are a highly psychic race and they (unlike humans) retain consciousness after death. At which point, Slaanesh noms them down like a dry twix.
Slaanesh is already eating the Dark Eldars souls slowly - they try to keep her at bay
A)Living in the webway beyond her easy reach
B)Consuming souls themselves - they're like a boiling kettle. You can put more water in, but it will begin to evaporate quite quickly again. And if it runs dry, the kettle breaks.

If the eldar though that there was a chance to kill Angron then they'd take it - He will become the right hand man of khorne and will be responsible for the death of billions, human and eldar alike.

The part that threw the eldar in that story was Lorgar. They didn't foresee him being there and ultimately, that meant the gambit was futile.

Effigy22's avatar at the top put me in mind of a relevent quote - in dog soldiers where they find the special ops commander half torn apart shouting 'There was only supposed to be one!'

Last edited by Gret79; 02-21-14 at 07:32 AM.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-21-14, 08:02 AM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
You did not misread it, I may have a flaw in my understanding of Dark Eldar. I have been under the assumption that they somehow send souls to Slaanesh to fend him/her/it off of them OR that they somehow consume souls to prolong their lives to prevent their eventual deaths and thus consumption by Slaanesh.

Perhaps their line of thinking, if my latter belief is true, that by killing Angron and offering his soul to Slaanesh it may somehow fend it off a little longer. Of coarse, I lack any real knowledge of Xenos races in 40k.
The quote which sums this up from the codex is as follows:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codex: Dark Eldar
The Eldar hate and fear Slaanesh above all... she waits hungrily upon the other side of the veil to claim each and every one of them. Whereas the Eldar of the Craftworlds learned to deny Slaanesh's hold upon them using mystical spirit stones and infinity circuits, the Eldar of the webway became exceptionally good at ensuring that lesser beings suffer in their stead. Provided they steeped themselves in the most evil and decadent acts, the Eldar of the webway found that the curse of Slaanesh could be abated.

The agony of others nourished their withered souls and kept them vital and strong, filling their frames with unnatural energies. Assuming they could feed regularly enough, the Eldar of the webway became physically immune to the passage of time. So it was that the Dark Eldar were born, a race of sadistic murderers who feed upon the anguish of others in order to prevent the slow death of their immortal souls. Ten thousand years later, in the 41st Millennium, Slaanesh's thirst pulls at them still. There truly is no escape. The Dark Eldar race has unwittingly exchanged a horrible but mercifully quick death for an eternity of hunger.
Of course, the bitter irony of the Dark Kin is that they would never actually admit they act as they do because of the devastating hunger that devours their souls, they insist they do so because that is their right and desire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-21-14, 08:06 PM

The ambush part in Butcher's Nails really made me facepalm. If the Eldar had waited just a little longer, the Word Bearers and World Eaters would probably have fought (Angron was just about to give the order to fire). The Eldar ships could have waited until the fireworks died down, then mopped upp whoever survived the fight.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-21-14, 11:42 PM

Creon's Flag is: USA

It may have been necessary to do it that way. Farseers often do things that seem bizzare to outsiders, and cataclysmically wrong, for their own plans and plots. So it is said.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-22-14, 04:48 AM

emporershand89's Flag is: USA

Location: New England.....somewhere in that mess of awesomness!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child-of-the-Emperor View Post
Of course, the bitter irony of the Dark Kin is that they would never actually admit they act as they do because of the devastating hunger that devours their souls, they insist they do so because that is their right and desire.
Come on man, they have been doing this for untold millenia; I'm sure they simply are so imbued with murder and deciet that it is just part of the culture. When the Eldar first started debauchery, they grew use to it. When it became acceptable in Eldar society, it then became rampant. After thousands of years of being rampant Slaanesh comes hunting for hungry souls. So what do the Dark Kin do.....they contiue their debauchery to such a level Slaanesh wants nothing to do with them in their Webway hideout. Thus it became culture, culture became norm, and you have the Dark Eldar.

Really quite simply really.

After reading up on some of the dusty Eldar history I find two things that should be mentioned here. As far as their ancient History the Farseer position seems to be not be mentioned, leading me to beleive that it was only recently created when the Exodite and Craftworld Eldar split off from their parent race who later became the Dark Eldar. The Farseers, as far as I can see, have never dealth with the Dark Eldar as freinds or allies. This is not to say it has not happened but that no Lexicanum or Fluff lore I have read can sup[port this idea.

Thus Farseers are exaclty what they are, Eldar on the Witch Path intending to use their psychic powers to guide their very fragile race.

As far as the Dark Eldar are concerned they seem to have precious few psychic's among them. I am still reading much of the DE fluff but, compared to their Eldar cousin's which are whoring them, they are few and far between. Additionally many of the DE tend to be women, not men. All the talk of Wych and female Haemonculi polluter the De history books. Therefore, since some of the strongest Farseer's I've ever heard of are female, it can only lead me to conclude two things. First that Dark Eldar have moved beyond the psychic realm IOT avoid Slaanesh and keep their depravity at an all-time high; as their ancestors did before them. Secondly, that the few psychic's within their society tend to become warriors who's martial prowness if more of the focus than their latent psyker abilties.

"Walk Softely, and Carry a Big Gun!"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode