cloning/superior bodies - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-14, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Default cloning/superior bodies

So i was wondering, why bother having planets to take aspirants from, when you can just start with an ideal human genome, or an average human genome, or a genome taken from a variety of different humans who excel.

Of course i dont mean cloning as in making everyone genetically uniform, as that would be silly, but instead using the genomes of people who had already proven themselves, thereby reducing chance of mutations (unwanted ones at least, as useful ones could be selected for too) and at the same time curb implant rejection.

It would improve the space marine physical and mental baseline and allow chapters to specify what types of bodies they want, designer aspirants so to speak, they would have lower rate of failure and higher rate of performance.
so why not?

EDIT
another positive (or negative?) is that aspirants would react in a predictable manner to the genetherapy that is required to become a spacemarine.

Last edited by Lost&Damned; 02-14-14 at 08:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-14, 08:45 PM

High_Seraph's Flag is: USA

I think the I Crimson Fists did try that, or something rather close, and all it resulted in was failure.

"Loyalty is its own reward."
Lion El'Jonson.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-14, 10:06 PM
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Clone
The Raven Guard tried during the Heresy, but was sabotaged by the Alpha Legion.

In 40k, the blood angels attempted it, but it was too a miserable failure due to interference of Fabius Bile.

But theres also the Afriel Strain troopers.
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Afriel_Strain

Some Afriel Strain troopers appeared in one of the Last Chancers books.
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Lorii

But as stated, the majority of the important bits of Cloning techniques have been lost. Fabius Bile is probably the only human still alive with a full knowledge of it.

Last edited by Brother Lucian; 02-14-14 at 10:08 PM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-14, 10:09 PM
hailene's Flag is: USA

It's less about their physical abilities, I think, of aspirants. After all, it's not that hard to get a very strong, very robust person if given the right training regime. Strong, fit men are a dime a dozen. I'm sure the Imperial Guard is riddled with such men.

What they're hunting for is more mental. An aspirant has to be fit, yes, but it's the purity of purpose and will to overcome the impossible that really makes an aspirant worthwhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Seraph View Post
I think the I Crimson Fists did try that, or something rather close, and all it resulted in was failure.
They tried to take the unsuccessful aspirants (basically the ones that failed the trials to become a neophyte, yet still lived afterwards, a rare few), and breed them with strong women. It ultimately did not pan out.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-14, 12:16 AM

High_Seraph's Flag is: USA

Ahh thanks for the clarification hailene. But wouldn't that work or not as selective eugenics might work but who knows.

"Loyalty is its own reward."
Lion El'Jonson.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-14, 12:54 AM

The death korps of krieg is/has used clones.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-14, 02:49 AM
hailene's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by locustgate View Post
The death korps of krieg is/has used clones.
Imperial Armour 5 mentions that they use "vitae-womb" birthing techniques. Dunno if that constitutes cloning or not.

Could you provide a source?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-14, 05:16 AM

Rems's Flag is: Australia

Cloning and its derivatives are mostly a forbidden and nigh forgotten science in the Imperium. Aside from the practicality remember that the recruiting and implantion process is guided by ritual as much as science. The Chapters have been doing their thing for up to 10,000 years, that's a huge amount of custom and tradition to overcome. Recruitment and implantation has become a scared process, vital not just to the manpower of the chapter but its spiritual health.

Though to be honest there's no real need for it. A Chapter's size is artificially limited by the self imposed restrictions of the Codex Astartes. There's more than enough recruits available. Look at the Astral Claws, recruiting from a 'normal' civilized world they were able to enlarge their chapter three times over within a short period of time. Think about it, planets have populations in the millions or billions. Even if 1% or even a tenth of a percent can become Space Marines that's still thousands of recruits available, more than enough for any chapters needs.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-14, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Seraph View Post
What was the explanation for the failure?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-14, 03:55 AM

BlackGuard's Flag is: USA

I don't remember it being mentioned that cloning is illegal or forgotten within the Imperium. I thought certain Ordo Malleus personnel were cloned? I could be wrong. I also think, but its been awhile, that in the Word Bearer's Trilogy that they spoke of tank-bred sacrifices. If the forces of Chaos have the technology, then certainly the Imperium at the very least has examples of it, if not understands themselves.

But your point still stands -- there is no need. That would, however, be a hell of a hook on a chapter. Leaves them more open to corruption if that original genetic template should be altered or corrupted by some nefarious individuals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman78 View Post
The chaos gods abandoned Horus most likely because they saw the can of whoop ass coming their way and wanted out of the way so as not to get fucked up!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode