Why is Draigo's fluff so frowned upon? - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-02-14, 06:58 PM
Feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uveron View Post
He is not a normal Space Marine, He is perhaps the most specialized Damon killing thing in the Imperium. He did not kill the demigod, he banished a Daemon prince into the warp.
Actually, the timeline says that Mortarion escaped, so he didn't successfully banish him.

Nonsense is our Salvation

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-02-14, 07:47 PM

Alsojames's Flag is: Canada

There's a theory that "draigo" as we know him is really just something the Chaos Gods whipped up to fuck with us, and that one day they'll pull the rug out from under us and laugh manically as our hope is eradicated. Which honestly makes perfect sense.

How can a non-primarch, hell even a primarch himself, go on such a rampage throughout a realm that is literally owned and governed by the beasts he opposes? If Tzeench wants to make it so gravity changes every half second, he can. If Nurgle wants it to rain acid and have the wind be caused by giant, man-tearing shards of bone, he can. If Khorne wants his rivers of blood to boil like lava, he can make it happen.

So why and how can one single Astartes, even if it is a Grey Knight, roflstomp around for centuries unabated? Why is he so special? Why is he able to smash Tzeench's city and torch Nurgle's garden? REPEDITALLY? ALONE?

We're literally not given any explanation other than because he's Kaldor motherfucking Draigo, the bestest of the bestest . He can perform feats of superhuman strength even Sanguinius struggled to do (he beat down a single bloodthirster--not demon primarch, ORDINARY BLOODTHIRSTER--and that was supposed to be an epic feat) like it's nobody's business and we're just supposed to bend over and believe that? By 40k's own standards, it's unrealistic.

I subscribe to the aformentioned theory; that Draigo as we know him is long dead, and what we've got in the GK 'dex is really just a creation of Chaos and they're laughing about how much we think he helps us.

Necrons W3 T0 L1

Death Korps W1 T0 L1

Dark Elves W0 T0 L0
post #33 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-02-14, 07:55 PM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsojames View Post
How can a non-primarch, hell even a primarch himself, go on such a rampage throughout a realm that is literally owned and governed by the beasts he opposes? If Tzeench wants to make it so gravity changes every half second, he can. If Nurgle wants it to rain acid and have the wind be caused by giant, man-tearing shards of bone, he can. If Khorne wants his rivers of blood to boil like lava, he can make it happen.

So why and how can one single Astartes, even if it is a Grey Knight, roflstomp around for centuries unabated? Why is he so special? Why is he able to smash Tzeench's city and torch Nurgle's garden? REPEDITALLY? ALONE?
Perhaps the Chaos Gods intentionally allow him to endure because they intend to corrupt him? After all, he is incapable of damaging them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).

post #34 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-02-14, 08:31 PM

Malus Darkblade's Flag is: Kuwait

To me it's quite clear one of the pantheon or all of them are allowing him to exist in their realm for their amusement and nothing else.

Just like had Khorne allowed a band of Orks into his domain to fight his subjects for all eternity.
post #35 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-13-14, 12:07 AM

Klomster's Flag is: Sweden

The main reason i dislike the draigo fluff is this.

The entire grey knights codex is rife with bad fluff and horrible consistency errors, but more than that and what makes draigo second worst to me (after crowe) is this.

"This here is Kaldor Draigo, he's the SUPREME grandmaster of the grey knights, since having a council of grandmasters to decide important matters like there was before is stupid.

And Draigo, he's really good, he is even the bestest. And he fights deamons the best.
When he fights deamons, he's really angry. That is why he is powerful, since no one is as angry as he is.

Draigo is so badass, when he got stuck in the warpz, he fights all the chaos gods. AND WINS!!! Since he is the bestest and the coolest, and he looks real cool when he does it to.

Once he killed a bloodthirster, because his sword was broken, and bloodthirsters have deamon weapons from deamon metals, so they are inherently evil. But Draigo fixed it with his mind powers.

And then he kept fighting chaos gods forever, since he is awesome, and really cool!!!1!111! Lol i luv Draigo :D"

And that's basically the level of quality things are decribed, and i have barely parodised much of it. The description quality barely goes above he is Draigo, and now he did this cool thing!

That doesn't do it for me.
It was considered a really imposing and grand thing to do when Sanguinius held the gate of the imperial palace alone against a frikkin blood thirster. And an army of chaos space marines of course, but i guess they did the classic look upon the fighting champions move and just cheered or something.

But that was a huge epic fight, when Draigo is described fighting it is not even on the same scale.
Draigo is a grand master. Probably comparable and perhaps better than custodians.
The most badass warriors at the imperiums disposal.

And those are beneath the primarchs, in normal form.
The primarchs are even more powerful in deamon form, gifted with monstrous abilities and powers even other primarchs would have problems to fight.

And Draigo just went up to him and blasted Mortarion so Mortarion ran away?
That's not the Mortarion i've read about in the horus heresy series.

There Mortarion is the primarch of the death guard, space marines who find the concept of fear and running away ludicrous and their standard tactic for combat was to march right into the enemy?
And Mortarion is the embodiment of this?

Sure a grey knight has an edge over a deamonic primarch, but it is still a frikkin primarch!

Only way i can imagine Draigo in a fight against deamon Mortarion is this.

"Draigo and ten grey knight terminators approached the Monstrous deamon primarch, the apparition of the once loved son of the emperor was that of death itself, clad in a billowing dark robe and armed with a scythe.

Gas danced like green mist with his every move, and as the grey knights stepped closer, Draigo breathed it in and died.......

...... since he didn't wear a helmet.

'-Well that was awkward....' one of his battle brothers say while the entire squad watches their grand master wriggle to death under horrendous hardships.

Then there is a grand but in the end tragic fight that ends with every terminator dead and Mortarion still standing, wounded but hardly beaten."

Mayhaps i did it a bit silly there but no way he can take down mortarion on his own.
And sure, perhaps Mortarion was wounded or "drained" as is so nicely refered to.
So what? If mortarion is so drained he would dissipate from this reality from such a powerful psychic attack that must've been.

And inscribing names on Mortarions heart?

"-Lulwut, i really like my grandmaster, he's so cool. I luv Gerington!" (Or whatever he's called, it's not a very cool name.)

So why is Draigo's fluff so frowned upon?
The answer is simple, it is not better than a ten year olds twilight fanfic, it just happens to be in 40k. And feature what once was the coolest space marine chapter of them all now turned to silver ultramarines fighting the evil deamons in space. They even basically have an 80's phone ringing describing where thay have to go to save the poor imperial citizens to be heroes forever.

Sure Matt Ward is probably not the devil as i used to think and many still think him as. But he sure sucks at writing fluff.

www.trollsforge.com -A nice miniature company and sculpting forum. The forum has unrivaled gs sculpting tutorials.

Last edited by Klomster; 02-13-14 at 12:30 AM.
post #36 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-13-14, 01:56 AM

Malus Darkblade's Flag is: Kuwait

"Draigo is so badass, when he got stuck in the warpz, he fights all the chaos gods. AND WINS!!! Since he is the bestest and the coolest, and he looks real cool when he does it to."

Reread the fluff.
post #37 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-13-14, 03:39 AM

Considering the fact that it took over 100 grey knights where only a few survived and the entire space wolf chapter plus IG as a distraction to banish angron it doesn't make sense.

Also combine that that out of the knights who survived, one nearly died from psychic exertion, one lost his legs and another was in a coma it makes no sense.
post #38 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-13-14, 05:24 AM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Point to note. Ka'Bandha wasn't 'just a bloodthirster' or a regular run of the mill Greater Demon.
post #39 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-13-14, 11:24 AM
Feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klomster View Post
and i have barely parodised much of it.
Bullshit. Yours is the most blown out of proportion take on Draigo's fluff I've seen here yet.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #40 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-13-14, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsojames View Post
Ever heard the term "Mary Sue"?

It's a term generally used to refer to a character who is so perfect in pretty much every way; so much so that they're boring, if you haven't heard of it before.

Simply put, he's stupid. He's a non-primarch that's stronger than a primarch, has no personality (seriously, his entire entry is about how much ass he kicks everywhere all the time), and....well there's just not much to him other than "lol I spend all day fucking up the dark god's shit".

He's flawless, simply put. And as a character in a fictional world, it makes him incredibly dull and stupid.
Yep you nailed it. He is a Mary Sue and also his appearance from the warp is incredibly. It is also just...bad writing! In a way I agree with whoever compared it to the ADB grey knight book. ADB is a skilled writer, one of the best in the BL stable by a mile. I am sure if set the task he could make Draigo relatable and compelling, but the fluff seems to be so one dimensional it is painful. Uber-heroes need flaws, for explanation see.... every single primarch. Draigo sorts of appears to be the flawless hero, romping through the place that kills literally every other character in the fluff with gay abandon, power-smashing any demon that comes hsi way and occasionally popping back into realspace for a tabletop game. I think in a tongue in cheek setting, draigo could be great! But it lacks the flesh we;ve come to expect with the modern fluff and with the better writing from BL.

Ward just comes across as a bad writer, more like some of the earlier BL stuff that read like fanfiction.

Here is an idea, let someone from GW design the game rules, but then get the codex and fluff written by a BL author. It 'aint exactly earth shattering but it would make sense. Grek Knights 6th ed by Ward and Dembki-Boden, that would be pretty good, or at least better.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode