Why is Draigo's fluff so frowned upon? - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-02-14, 02:03 AM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
Yet you don't think the Grey Knights could have defeated Mortarion?
We know a band of GKs can defeat them, we've seen what a hundred of them can do to Angron and his bodyguard of blood thirsters, but carving his name in Mort's heart? Seriously? Did he put his full name on there, or just his initials, or did he go the whole hog and put his title and middle name on there as well? If he'd just banished him, or chopped his head off, or dismembered him, maybe it'd be more believable, but the whole carving thing just pushed it into the realm of the ridiculous. Someone just pushed it too far.

I can see it now. "Draigo wuz 'ere, 901.M41."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-02-14, 02:16 AM
Cruel Commissar

Beaviz81's Flag is: Norway

It was the name of the precursor not his own. That would be selfish. I sort of wonder hos that happen I mean the blood and guts would make it difficult to do a normal beating heart. Then comes the puss and disgusting stuff and he carved in Geronitan (the name of the Supreme Grandmaster of the Grey knights before him). Then again except for a few questions about maintenance and re-stocking ammo I'm not against him surviving in the warp. He is a Space Marine after all.

My story about the commissars Zachary Carrus and Michelle Ionza and their life and crimes https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=123690
post #23 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-02-14, 03:01 AM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
We know a band of GKs can defeat them, we've seen what a hundred of them can do to Angron and his bodyguard of blood thirsters, but carving his name in Mort's heart? Seriously? Did he put his full name on there, or just his initials, or did he go the whole hog and put his title and middle name on there as well? If he'd just banished him, or chopped his head off, or dismembered him, maybe it'd be more believable, but the whole carving thing just pushed it into the realm of the ridiculous. Someone just pushed it too far.

I can see it now. "Draigo wuz 'ere, 901.M41."
I'm with you on this. I'm fine with Draigo's fluff, all except for the heart carving. It's an entirely nonsensical thing to do and comes across as an apocryphal story you might hear from that kid in your school who constantly made shit up.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer

post #24 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-02-14, 04:16 AM

I'm gonna wade into this. The reason for the resistance to this bullshit is that we didn't get into this to have a "Superman" character. They established the Primarchs to be the next step down in divinity to the Emperor. We saw that even Lorgar, considered before Chaos to be the weakest martially, wade through sm's with ease. So tell me. You have Angron right? Who launches a campaign into the Imperium. To break his SWORD renders a GK unconcious. To actually banish him, BANISH HIM, costs the GK captain his life. So you're telling me that Mortarion would be single handedly not only subdued but maimed and humiliated by a lone GK?

The level of power they've given to Draigo is ridiculous. His exploits in the warp don't really matter to me as I think they are trying to show him how pointless his existence is and they've got literally eternity to wait for him to break. The Mortarion business just seems a little ridiculous. Like a story about Robin beating the shit out of Superman.
post #25 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-02-14, 06:48 AM
Grand Lord Munchkin

gen.ahab's Flag is: USA

Don't have a huge issue with Drago (don't care, spelling it this way). Yeah, I personally feel that his story smacks of poor self-editing, but over all he isn't that bad.

That being said….
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
Space Wolves defeated Magnus, both daemon primarchs.
Yes. Space WolveS. Plural, as in a many of them, and large number of them ended up either dead or really fucked up. With Drago (don't care), we've got one dude pulling off what it took a Great Wolf (it was a Great Wolf, right?), a previous Great Wolf in a giant metal death machine, and a load of their buddies to do. And, again, most of them ended up very dead. Also, it should be noted that the Great Wolf, Ironhelm, landed a drop pod on the cyclopean douche before fighting him, and even then he still died. Drago, however, just up and carved his initials into a primarchs heart because he got angry. One reads as an epic battle to beat a truly imposing enemy, and the other some form of bastard child produced by poor editing and a nerd-boner induced typing frenzy.

Though I haven't popped open either of these books up in almost a year, so I could be wrong about damn near all of this.

The Website kept telling me that my profile was only 80% complete without creating a signature. Ain't no website going to tell me I was a lazy shit, no sir.
post #26 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-02-14, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Rattlehead

Firstly, whole bunch of people saying that 'The fact he could do it because he hulked out is stoopid' - well, that really is fanfiction. I said in the first post, my interpretation was that the name-carving was done through a psychic attack (maybe even fuelled by other Grey Knights who weren't credited?). I'll bring it up again because I really liked the analogy - like the Greybeards carve the words of Unrelenting Force into the stone with their Shouts (sorry to anyone who gets the reference, but it works pretty nicely).

Secondly, doesn't say Draigo killed Mortarion's bodyguard. If a rugby team smashes through the enemy line, does that mean they killed them and banished them to the Warp?

Thirdly, none of us are in any position to say what a Chaos God would or would not think or do. They're not even vaguely human, following anything but human thought processes.

Lastly, of course the stories are apocryphal. All 40k fluff in the codexes is apocryphal and told from that race's perspective. For example, read the fluff section on the Battle for Cold Steel Ridge in the 5th ed Space Marine and Tyranid codexes. You will not get the same picture of the fight at all.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #27 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-02-14, 10:08 AM
Warsmith

Uveron's Flag is: Great Britain

I just want to point out, that he is rules wise, perhaps the sacryest thing around in CC when fighting Daemons, so it does kinda make sense his fluff is a bit OT when dealing with them.

It could always be allot worse.
post #28 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-02-14, 12:38 PM
Cruel Commissar

Beaviz81's Flag is: Norway

How could it be worse? A normal, though powerful Space Marine curbstomped a living demigod and his guards to boot alone and unaided. That's a pretty telling tale about power to the max. Was he naked when it happened? That could be worse I guess. Luckily nothing is known there.

My story about the commissars Zachary Carrus and Michelle Ionza and their life and crimes https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=123690
post #29 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-02-14, 01:41 PM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post
I said in the first post, my interpretation was that the name-carving was done through a psychic attack
This sounds like a sensible solution. A psychic imprint rather than slowly and steadily carving a name with a gargantuan Nemesis Weapon whilst Mortarion remained perfectly still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus Mortis View Post
but again what makes Draigo so damn special?
He is the Grand Master of the Grey Knights. If the Grand Master can be corrupted then the symbolic victory would be monumental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).

Last edited by Child-of-the-Emperor; 02-02-14 at 01:44 PM.
post #30 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-02-14, 02:02 PM
Warsmith

Uveron's Flag is: Great Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaviz81 View Post
How could it be worse? A normal, though powerful Space Marine curbstomped a living demigod and his guards to boot alone and unaided. That's a pretty telling tale about power to the max. Was he naked when it happened? That could be worse I guess. Luckily nothing is known there.
Where does he say he did it alone? Or that the battle wasn't close?

He is not a normal Space Marine, He is perhaps the most specialized Damon killing thing in the Imperium. He did not kill the demigod, he banished a Daemon prince into the warp.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode