Can regular humans have similar/extra organs to a space marine? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-31-14, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

The Final Frontier's Flag is: USA

Default Can regular humans have similar/extra organs to a space marine?

This happened just yesterday when I was at my GW store, I was thinking of buying a centurian squad and making a captain/force commander with centurian armor. As I was browsing around like a little kid like we all do in there was a game going on.

One guy was playing chaos SM and the other was playing IG with Augumentations. Now normally I'd be 'cool there's bound to be regiments of IG that been augmented with drugs, viruses or genetics' but then the IG player said his Shock Troopers? (IG elite troops) were augmented similar(NOT THE SAME AS A SM) to a SM like having an extra heart and other organs the SM have but far less efficient then the SM organs. This excluded the black carparse I believe although he didn't mention it. Of course am standing they'd like an idiot scratching my head 'whaa? I dont think that's possible Is it?'

I wasn't going to get in that situation. My question is the title lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-31-14, 12:46 AM
Cruel Commissar

Beaviz81's Flag is: Norway

You can if you are a member of the Adeptus Mechanicus I guess.

Her should have called his troops Skitarii, and I must say you stumble over a lot of people with special interpretation of fluff.

What next? A hockey-themed Space Marine-chapter?

My story about the commissars Zachary Carrus and Michelle Ionza and their life and crimes https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=123690
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-31-14, 12:48 AM

Loki1416's Flag is: USA

In the day and age of 40K, I can see extra organs put in standard humans. They are given chem mixes that make them go into a rage (like an Eversor assassin). Look at the Mechanicus. They augment their body to become more machine like. They don't start out as all advanced, but gradually work their way up. I can't say that I've read any where that extra organs were implanted, but I can't see why the technology is not there.
As for that guys IG army, if it's his fluff for his own army, I'm perfectly fine with that. However, if he is doing it and boosting the stats of his IG troopers, then that's a huge no go. So fluff wise, yes. Game effecting wise, no.

Edit: I would love to see a hockey themed army. Especially a Detroit Redwings one!

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-31-14, 01:14 AM
hailene's Flag is: USA

Remember that the Primarchs, and by extension, the Space Marines, were made (supposedly) with the help of Chaos. I can imagine some of the crazier organs, like the Omophagea, are probably outside the realms of current 40k technology.

Tossing in an extra heart or reinforcing their bones is definitely possible.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-31-14, 01:24 AM
Cruel Commissar

Beaviz81's Flag is: Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailene View Post
Remember that the Primarchs, and by extension, the Space Marines, were made (supposedly) with the help of Chaos.
Source?

My story about the commissars Zachary Carrus and Michelle Ionza and their life and crimes https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=123690
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-31-14, 01:24 AM
Grand Lord Munchkin

gen.ahab's Flag is: USA

Here's the thing: Space Marines, and their extra organs make no damn sense. At all. Considering this, I see no reason why a human couldn't have extra organs in the 40k universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaviz81 View Post
Source?
Pretty widely accepted fluff that's been stated on more than one occasion in the heresy books, and probably other places.

EDIT: Well, it's never been said by anyone on the imperial side or by a neutral party, but it's been hinted at with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer.

The Website kept telling me that my profile was only 80% complete without creating a signature. Ain't no website going to tell me I was a lazy shit, no sir.

Last edited by gen.ahab; 01-31-14 at 01:29 AM.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-31-14, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

The Final Frontier's Flag is: USA

I think he used inferior like organs that worked like the SM organs other then the black carparse. From a secondary heart, reinforced bones, Muscle growth, can enter hibernation for a time, learn by eating etc. I just can't grasp how humans can basically have the same organs as SM just in a far less efficient form. If they add this? Why in the hell is this not standard for all IG? Can't be that expensive compared to making warships that are hive cities with massive guns.

On a side, people at my GW Store love making interesting or in this site tongue, Hersey type armies from SM allied with the Tau(Seriously WTF) to Slannesh Deamonettes serving Knorne. Normally I don't think it's a big deal but some of those that come through that door, sometimes your jaw will just drop and go WTF?
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-31-14, 01:51 AM
Grand Lord Munchkin

gen.ahab's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Final Frontier View Post
I think he used inferior like organs that worked like the SM organs other then the black carparse. From a secondary heart, reinforced bones, Muscle growth, can enter hibernation for a time, learn by eating etc. I just can't grasp how humans can basically have the same organs as SM just in a far less efficient form. If they add this? Why in the hell is this not standard for all IG? Can't be that expensive compared to making warships that are hive cities with massive guns.
Ugh….. because most of those things are impossible? It's best not to put too much thought into why or how stuff works in 40k.

Also, the explanation the dude provides, the less efficient thing? Yeah, that's called shitty story telling. Not much else to it.

The Website kept telling me that my profile was only 80% complete without creating a signature. Ain't no website going to tell me I was a lazy shit, no sir.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-31-14, 02:51 AM

Rems's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Final Frontier View Post

They can't be the same as the Astartes organs, those require gene-seed and the full implantation process. With Space Marines it's all or nothing.

That said there are still plenty of other augmentations available to members of the Imperium, one thing Imperial science is pretty good at bio tech. So you have enhancing drug cocktails, juvant treatments, bionics, chemical manipulation etc. I could see implanted organs, mechanical or organic, being among these augmentations. They wouldn't however be the same as the Astarte's version, nor work as well.

As to why its not stand its because of scale and logistics. There are billions, perhaps trillions of gaurdsmen. It's simply not possible to augment them all, or even a significant percentage. Remember the guard are recruited from a variety of techbases and the only standard piece of equipment is the lasgun. There would only be a limited number of worlds in the imperium capable of augmenting soldiers like this and its just not practical to ship eery regiment you raise across the galaxy to get augmented. It's more cost effective for the Imperium to raise x-billion soldiers and hurl them into the meat grinder.

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-31-14, 07:07 AM

Malus Darkblade's Flag is: Kuwait

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen.ahab View Post
Here's the thing: Space Marines, and their extra organs make no damn sense. At all. Considering this, I see no reason why a human couldn't have extra organs in the 40k universe.

Having fail-safes/backup organs which also in conjunction produce more efficient results = makes no sense?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode