Can regular humans have similar/extra organs to a space marine? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-31-14, 08:34 AM
Cruel Commissar

Beaviz81's Flag is: Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen.ahab View Post
Here's the thing: Space Marines, and their extra organs make no damn sense. At all. Considering this, I see no reason why a human couldn't have extra organs in the 40k universe.

Pretty widely accepted fluff that's been stated on more than one occasion in the heresy books, and probably other places.

EDIT: Well, it's never been said by anyone on the imperial side or by a neutral party, but it's been hinted at with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer.
The source, AKA where it is mentioned would be nice.

My story about the commissars Zachary Carrus and Michelle Ionza and their life and crimes https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=123690
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-31-14, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaviz81 View Post
The source, AKA where it is mentioned would be nice.
In False Gods when Horus is shown the scattering he sees spells/prayers written on the primarchs' incubation pods. It is mentioned a couple of times in The First Heretic if I recall correctly as well. It's also hinted at in A Thousand Sons with regards to the Emperor and his dealings with the chaos gods. In Deliverance Lost when the Emperor shares the secrets of the primarchs with Corax he censors a big part, which hints that he was hiding a part of their creation. Might also be mentions of it in Aurelian, though it has been ages since I read that novella, so I might be mistaken. And there are other hints dropped throughout the series, but I am not gonna search through all the novels right now to check for all of them. Basically, it is a continuous theme throughout the HH series that the primarchs were created with the help of chaos.

Edit: Sorry, got that backwards. It was Argel Tal, during The First Heretic I think who saw the prayers on the pods. When Horus was taken back to the scattering he was told out and out that the Emperor struck a bargain with chaos for the power to make the primarchs. But the point stands, there are continuously hints dropped in various novels that some kind of bargain was struck between the Emperor and chaos in order for the primarchs to be created. Sadly, only the Emperor on the Imperial side can genuinely confirm this, and he off course wouldn't actually admit to making deals with beings he, for centuries, tried to deny existed.

The human appendix. Proof of a higher power. A divine kill switch so to speak.

No one really likes a smartass, but people tend to like a dumbass even less.

Last edited by Chompy Bits; 01-31-14 at 09:41 AM.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-31-14, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

The Final Frontier's Flag is: USA

That's what I thought as much. I didn't think organs could be made like SM that function in a similar fashion.

Do they ever fully explain anything in the Warhammer 40,000K Universe?

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-31-14, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Final Frontier View Post
I think he used inferior like organs that worked like the SM organs other then the black carparse. From a secondary heart, reinforced bones, Muscle growth, can enter hibernation for a time, learn by eating etc. I just can't grasp how humans can basically have the same organs as SM just in a far less efficient form. If they add this? Why in the hell is this not standard for all IG? Can't be that expensive compared to making warships that are hive cities with massive guns.
Er...having some back ups are ok, but I would ask him to tone down on the number. If they are like krogan, 2 pairs of everything, then even by 40k standards that's farfetched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Final Frontier View Post
That's what I thought as much. I didn't think organs could be made like SM that function in a similar fashion.

Do they ever fully explain anything in the Warhammer 40,000K Universe?
We are talking about scifi books....do they ever fully explain anything?
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-31-14, 06:50 PM
Grand Lord Munchkin

gen.ahab's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malus Darkblade View Post
Having fail-safes/backup organs which also in conjunction produce more efficient results = makes no sense?
Makes no sense as in space marines are a work of fiction and totally fuckin' impossible. Having a second heart would be cool and all for an average human, at least during period of stress, but shoving an extra heart in a person and getting it to work would be a bit harder than using superglue and staples.

The Website kept telling me that my profile was only 80% complete without creating a signature. Ain't no website going to tell me I was a lazy shit, no sir.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-31-14, 07:53 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen.ahab View Post
...are a work of fiction and totally fuckin' impossible.
It's not that long ago that the same was said of landing on the moon, heart transplants, laser beams and the internet were considered the same.

Why, oh why must people insist on applying real world principles on a fictional universe?

OT, just look at what the SWs did to Hawser in Prospero Burns. Tore him down and rebuilt him from scratch, rewinding his body about 30 or 40 years and strengthening his skeleton, musculature and brain. Giving someone an extra organ is a piece of piss compared to that.

Last edited by Khorne's Fist; 01-31-14 at 08:01 PM.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-31-14, 08:00 PM
Cruel Commissar

Actually I'm in support of Fist there. Who knows we can all have multiple livers in fifty years from now.

I don't mind mixing reality with fiction, but there must be some foresight.

My story about the commissars Zachary Carrus and Michelle Ionza and their life and crimes https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=123690
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-31-14, 08:08 PM
Grand Lord Munchkin

gen.ahab's Flag is: USA

When you discover the warp and chaos (fundamental components for the creation of the primarchs and, through them, marines) you come tell me and we'll get to making us some spass mahreens. Space marines are nonsense because their creation depends upon space voodoo, not because a second heart is or is not possible.

That being said, one of the main points of one of my previous points was that there wasn't any point in worrying about the science behind this stuff.

The Website kept telling me that my profile was only 80% complete without creating a signature. Ain't no website going to tell me I was a lazy shit, no sir.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-31-14, 08:38 PM
Cruel Commissar

Well according to The Universe that might exist. I know it's speculative, but it's cutting edge science. I mean it's on Discovery Channel for a reason. Then again I'm a fanboi of that and I have even been stopped from partying by them running a marathon of episodes with a mate. Everything is in flux right now, and remember weare living in the golden age of technology. In the 90's cell-phones weighed kilograms and could only be utilized on top of mountains, now they are commonplace.

post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-31-14, 09:44 PM
nevynxxx's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by locustgate View Post
We are talking about scifi books....do they ever fully explain anything?
No, it's a very specific story telling technique. The more you explain something, the less you can expand on, or change it later. So by fixing things, you restrict yourself later. That means that the last thing you want to do is fully explain.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode