Corax Forging New Geneseed - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-14, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Over Two Meters Tall!'s Flag is: USA

Default Corax Forging New Geneseed

Hello all, since I'm not in the process of reading any new 40K books (Heresy in deed, thought and action!) I thought I'd throw out another speculative post to waste time.

In Deliverance Lost,
... truly an original next step in the genetic development of the Astares.

Well, my question for the group is the possibility that Corax, in his 10,000-year absence from the Imperium that only the Emperor knows where, could take on his father's mantle out there and reinitiate the development of next-generation Astares. Arik Taranis only required
What could Corax do deep in the Halo stars, with a few non-Imperial star systems at his disposal... perhaps craft something like the Tau?

The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you have to load, or if you have to unload, go to the White Zone. You'll love it... it's a way of life.

Nick Naylor: Cigarettes in space?
Jeff Megall: It's the final frontier, Nick.
Nick Naylor: But wouldn't they blow up in an all oxygen environment?
Jeff Megall: Probably. But it's an easy fix. One line of dialogue. 'Thank God we invented the... you know, whatever device.'

Last edited by Over Two Meters Tall!; 01-30-14 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Cleaning up for possible spoilers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-14, 04:58 PM

DeathJester921's Flag is: USA

Did GW change the fluff from Corax heading into the Eye of Terror after the Heresy? If not, then this isn't very likely. Its an interesting idea though.

My youtube channel. Feel free to stop by and have a look if you're interested. I do Airsoft, some warhammer related videos, and gaming videos.

R.I.P. Uncle Lee. You will be greatly missed by us all. We will see each other again some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamTheApostle View Post
Remember kids: Violence isn't the answer, its the question. The answer is yes.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-14, 07:09 PM

SoL Berzerker's Flag is: USA

Well, "heading towards the eye of terror" is a rather vague description of where he went, even more so when you are speaking of the Primarch for the Raven Guard.

It is a very interesting idea, however seeing how much guilt the initial project put on him when it went wrong, I doubt he would give it another go. I would not count it out of the range of possibilities though. I mean, we've seen crazier stuff happen... Right?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-14, 07:12 PM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

Given Corax's psychological state when he was implied to have exiled himself in the Eye of Terror I doubt he would have attempted to tamper with the Emperor's work again, even if it was possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-14, 07:18 PM
Cruel Commissar

Beaviz81's Flag is: Norway

I wonder, why should guys from the IOM make Tau? Wouldn't it be a better idea to make something that's actually helpful for a change instead of lightblue xenos?

My story about the commissars Zachary Carrus and Michelle Ionza and their life and crimes https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=123690
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-14, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaviz81 View Post
I wonder, why should guys from the IOM make Tau? Wouldn't it be a better idea to make something that's actually helpful for a change instead of lightblue xenos?
For giggles:

1. The Tau evolved after the HH.
2. They are extremely resistant to Chaos, the downfall of the original experiment.
3. They still have a philosophy of technological development that was squashed in the HH, and
4. After what happened with the defunct Raven Guard 2-gen Astares, hey, light blue and cloven feet are pretty close to the mark

On a more serious note, I can see why Corax was depressed by having to exterminate his own creations, but was he aware that the Alpha Legion were the ones who sabotaged his Astares creations, or did he travel 'towards' the EOT thinking he was both a loser and stupid?

The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you have to load, or if you have to unload, go to the White Zone. You'll love it... it's a way of life.

Jeff Megall: Probably. But it's an easy fix. One line of dialogue. 'Thank God we invented the... you know, whatever device.'
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-14, 08:16 PM
Cruel Commissar

Beaviz81's Flag is: Norway

Basically what you are suggesting is that Corax clinically depressed after his own action became a traitor and made a new threat? You could just as well replaced Tau with Tyranids and gotten the same result.

My story about the commissars Zachary Carrus and Michelle Ionza and their life and crimes https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=123690
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-14, 08:18 PM

SoL Berzerker's Flag is: USA

One thing that confuses me is why Corax had to exterminate the mutated marines? Sure they looked nasty, but in reality they were loyal Gal Vorbak right? Am I making a proper analogy there? I mean, that seems like a pretty big strength.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-14, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaviz81 View Post
Basically what you are suggesting is that Corax clinically depressed after his own action became a traitor and made a new threat? You could just as well replaced Tau with Tyranids and gotten the same result.
You have a Primarch that abandons his sons and the Imperium in a fit of depression and heads for Chaos territory with the knowledge of the Emperor for genetic manipulation and the inner secrets of the Imperium contained in his little head... care to argue that your own Commissars in the Original Works section would not consider him a traitor?

However, to keep up the Tau straw man, they are substantially different from the Tyranids from an Imperial viewpoint and still a candidate for creation by Corax. I've kept hearing that the Emperor didn't want the Tau wiped out in their nascent stage, which would be one difference... although I've never seen a quote to go along with that supposition. The Tau also have a substantially similar society to the Imperium; Navigators = Air Caste, Astares/IG = Fire Caste, Mechanicum = Earth Caste, Governors/Lords = Ethereals... evolution or Intelligent Design? The Tau rely on their technology and powered armor, just like the Imperium; the Tau don't have or want advanced computer technology, just like the Imperium; the Tau seemingly only have one fashion designer, just like the Imperium; finally, the Tau have an obsession with little floatie thingies, just like the Imperium. What's not to love?

Last edited by Over Two Meters Tall!; 01-30-14 at 11:18 PM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-14, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over Two Meters Tall! View Post
You have a Primarch that abandons his sons and the Imperium in a fit of depression and heads for Chaos territory with the knowledge of the Emperor for genetic manipulation and the inner secrets of the Imperium contained in his little head... care to argue that your own Commissars in the Original Works section would not consider him a traitor?

However, to keep up the Tau straw man, they are substantially different from the Tyranids from an Imperial viewpoint and still a candidate for creation by Corax. I've kept hearing that the Emperor didn't want the Tau wiped out in their nascent stage, which would be one difference... although I've never seen a quote to go along with that supposition. The Tau also have a substantially similar society to the Imperium; Navigators = Air Caste, Astares/IG = Fire Caste, Mechanicum = Earth Caste, Governors/Lords = Ethereals... evolution or Intelligent Design? The Tau rely on their technology and powered armor, just like the Imperium; the Tau don't have or want advanced computer technology, just like the Imperium; the Tau seemingly only have one fashion designer, just like the Imperium; finally, the Tau have an obsession with little floatie thingies, just like the Imperium. What's not to love?
Wut?

If anything the tau are the imperium before the dark age of tech.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode