Entirely New Geenseed? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-29-14, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

The Final Frontier's Flag is: USA

Default Entirely New Geenseed?

I was at a GW store last week and got into an argument/discussion over his SM chapter where he was using an entirely new Geenseed. Apparently he said he took half the Geenseed(Ultramarine GS) of his SM chapter Master and half of the DNA from a very powerful HUMAN Psyker to get basically get SM that could be powerful librarians. This been on my mind since then. I mean wouldn't the human DNA/Geenseed(what ever you want to call it) be rejected or destroyed? I can't see both fusing to form an entirely new Geenseed. What are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-29-14, 03:36 PM
Grand Lord Munchkin

gen.ahab's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Final Frontier View Post
I was at a GW store last week and got into an argument/discussion over his SM chapter where he was using an entirely new Geenseed. Apparently he said he took half the Geenseed(Ultramarine GS) of his SM chapter Master and half of the DNA from a very powerful HUMAN Psyker to get basically get SM that could be powerful librarians. This been on my mind since then. I mean wouldn't the human DNA/Geenseed(what ever you want to call it) be rejected or destroyed? I can't see both fusing to form an entirely new Geenseed. What are your thoughts?

I might be wrong, but I'm thinking that fucking with the geneseed to make psykers would go over about as well as walking into the Vatican in the year 11 hundred and telling the pope that Jesus was a Muslim sex worker.

The Website kept telling me that my profile was only 80% complete without creating a signature. Ain't no website going to tell me I was a lazy shit, no sir.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-29-14, 03:39 PM

flash43's Flag is: Scotland

Huuummmm.... Artistic licence, and a powerful human psykers DNA would likely be more robust than most. And to be honest, when making new Space Marines their bodies would have different DNA from whatever a Geneseed contains and should biologically conflict. Yet they make new Space Marines all the time (ish).
I think the guy's just having fun with fluff rather than what may or may not be cannon

"Those are Eldar? I thought they'd be taller!" Unknown Guardsman
IN YOUR FACE REALITY!

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-29-14, 03:39 PM

Creon's Flag is: USA

I don't think Geneseed creation is a known technology anymore. The Emperor did it, and he's not talking. Also, all geneseeds should have the POTENTIAL for powerful psychics, as they are taken from the template of the Emperor.

Now, if I wanted Ultramarines with lots of Psykers, I'd just make a successor chapter whose feeder worlds produced an unusual number of psykers, lending the potential more into the converted humans.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-29-14, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

The Final Frontier's Flag is: USA

He tried making his case work. I just stood there nodding my head and going 'really now?' In my mind am ' am not a damn scientist but what the fuck? How the hell? Only the Emperor and Arik Taranis can screw with Geenseed successfully.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-29-14, 04:05 PM

Over Two Meters Tall!'s Flag is: USA

Yeah, the last time new geneseed was crafted, arguably, was the Grey Knights with two seemingly specific goals in mind, one was crafting powerful Astares psykers and the other was ensuring they were inviolable by Chaos. What the OP is describing sounds more like a Fabius Bile experiement, with his usual results, than anything that can be performed by 40K Mechanicum.

Hell, for Corax to even contemplate crafting new gene seed, he required a brain-dump from the Emperor himself... which he didn't really have conscious control over anyway.

I'd say exterminatus.

The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you have to load, or if you have to unload, go to the White Zone. You'll love it... it's a way of life.

Nick Naylor: Cigarettes in space?
Jeff Megall: It's the final frontier, Nick.
Nick Naylor: But wouldn't they blow up in an all oxygen environment?
Jeff Megall: Probably. But it's an easy fix. One line of dialogue. 'Thank God we invented the... you know, whatever device.'
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-29-14, 04:35 PM
Cruel Commissar

Beaviz81's Flag is: Norway

Mixing Ultramarine-geneseed with non-Astartes, and psykers to boot? Hm would make an interesting movie in how things can go horribly, horribly wrong (mutations and insane
Space Marines). I mean I could with skepticism maybe accept Grey Knights geneseed mixed with Ultramarine geneseed. But that would be stretching fluff a whole lot in my opinion as mixed-geneseed chapters has a history of things going very wrong for them.

My story about the commissars Zachary Carrus and Michelle Ionza and their life and crimes https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=123690
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-29-14, 04:47 PM

I personally don't see sticking some psyker's DNA into geneseed and somehow magically popping out a bunch of powerful librarians as particularly plausible (or even simply sticking human DNA into geneseed to begin with).

The Blood Ravens maintain a high number of powerful librarians, but that is because they specifically look for psykers during the recruitment process. Even Grey Knights need to already be psykers before being recruited for the implantation process.

The only geneseed that I can think of that actually seemed to induce psychic mutation is that of the Thousand Sons, and we know that their geneseed was extremely unstable.

The human appendix. Proof of a higher power. A divine kill switch so to speak.

No one really likes a smartass, but people tend to like a dumbass even less.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-29-14, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen.ahab View Post
I might be wrong, but I'm thinking that fucking with the geneseed to make psykers would go over about as well as walking into the Vatican in the year 11 hundred and telling the pope that Jesus was a Muslim sex worker.
Actually I think it would go better, an (imp) inquisitor would just shoot you, while the catholic one would take you to a dark cell and torture you till you recanted then burned you if you were lucky.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-29-14, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locustgate View Post
Actually I think it would go better, an (imp) inquisitor would just shoot you, while the catholic one would take you to a dark cell and torture you till you recanted then burned you if you were lucky.
As long as you make sure you are so far over the line so as to be beyond redemption. I'd rather take a bullet to the head than be turned into a Arco-flagellant or something. And judging from the Eisenhorn series, for example, the 40k Inquisition can be pretty horrific in their torture if they think you might know something useful.

The human appendix. Proof of a higher power. A divine kill switch so to speak.

No one really likes a smartass, but people tend to like a dumbass even less.

Last edited by Chompy Bits; 01-29-14 at 04:59 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode