Confusion With the Warp - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-14, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

SoL Berzerker's Flag is: USA

Default Confusion With the Warp

So, the warp is a tide of currents made up of energy, I understand that part of it, but what I don't understand is if the warp is just a tide of currents, then what exactly are the domains of the Chaos Gods? What is Draigo doing? Is he just fumbling around in these currents?

How big is the warp?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-14, 04:22 PM

Over Two Meters Tall!'s Flag is: USA

To my understanding, the Warp is infinite for all practical purposes, in terms of both time and volume. However, unlike the physical universe, locations aren't stuck in/on/around a spatial/temporal point and can vary in both based upon whomever is perceiving the Warp. Anything more than than and I think we'd need a third eye to really understand.

The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you have to load, or if you have to unload, go to the White Zone. You'll love it... it's a way of life.

Nick Naylor: Cigarettes in space?
Jeff Megall: It's the final frontier, Nick.
Nick Naylor: But wouldn't they blow up in an all oxygen environment?
Jeff Megall: Probably. But it's an easy fix. One line of dialogue. 'Thank God we invented the... you know, whatever device.'
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-14, 06:22 PM

The domain of the gods are areas that an emotion tends to 'pool'/get drawin to ,think like the garbage patches in oceans, but with creatures that eat your soul. The gods 'create' these areas so that a disciple they favor won't get lost as easily. That said last ed Demon dex mentioned navigating is weird you could be walking towards location A, along with seeing it, but end up at location z, which is in the opposite direction you want.

You should ask how big is the universe. Lets just leave it as BIG!

Last edited by locustgate; 01-06-14 at 06:28 PM.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-14, 07:22 PM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoL Berzerker View Post
So, the warp is a tide of currents made up of energy, I understand that part of it, but what I don't understand is if the warp is just a tide of currents, then what exactly are the domains of the Chaos Gods?
Each god's realm (Palace of Slaanesh, Garden of Nurgle etc) is made up of the same energy that constitutes each god, so effectively the gods and their realms are one and the same thing.

Quote:
What is Draigo doing? Is he just fumbling around in these currents?
We know for certain that a mortal's mind or soul can 'enter' the warp. We also have one or two examples of a mortal (seemingly) physically entering the warp (the primary example being Draigo). The question, I suppose, is whether Draigo brings an element of reality in with him (in a similar fashion to how gellar fields work) or whether his example is a anomaly because of the curse.

Quote:
How big is the warp?
The question is moot as 'big' and 'small' are meaningless. The warp is without matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-14, 07:34 PM
Feed

To expand on what CotE was saying, the warpis a psychic realm linked to all races capable of birthing psykers and perhaps even those who don't. It "feeds" essentially on emotional currents in the materium, and the four most base emotions are what gives rise to the gods of Chaos.

Physically, the warp is nothing. It's a realm of thought and feeling and it responds to actions and events in the materium for the most part. For example, the feeling of rage and any action taken as a direct result will feed Khorne, regardless of whether the act was done in his name or not. The pursuit of knowledge or the act of deceiving feeds Tzeentch, and so on. It should be noted that worship of the Chaos gods is not required for them to feed.

In this manner, some gods might temporarily hold sway over the others. However, so long as all their base emotions remain firmly in the mortal psyche, none of them will truly be able to be killed.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-14, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

SoL Berzerker's Flag is: USA

Okay, all my questions so far have been answered well, thanks.

Another question I have, I may be thinking to hard into this, but I really just want to understand it. When it says that Skarbrand hit Khorne, scratched his armor, and then Khorne punched Skarbrand and when he landed his impact created a crater in the ground. How could a non-physical demon scratch the non-physical armor of a non-physical god? Then how could Skarbrands non-physical body create a crater in a non-physical landscape?

Also, what form does a ship of the Imperium take while in the warp?
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-14, 08:58 PM
Feed

Quote:

Another question I have, I may be thinking to hard into this, but I really just want to understand it. When it says that Skarbrand hit Khorne, scratched his armor, and then Khorne punched Skarbrand and when he landed his impact created a crater in the ground. How could a non-physical demon scratch the non-physical armor of a non-physical god? Then how could Skarbrands non-physical body create a crater in a non-physical landscape?
That story would be told from the daemon's perspective, so it would not have literally happened persay. Think of it like a metaphor. Skarbrand challenged Khorne and was ruined because of it, becoming an outcast. Screaming across the sky probably just means Khorne's rage at Skarbrand was plain for all denizens of the warp to see.

Quote:
The ship projects a gellar field, which is like taking a portion of reality into the warp with it. It also shields them from daemonic attack. Most of the time.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-14, 09:21 PM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:

Check out this relatively short thread (particularly this, this and this post) some of these kind of questions came up there.

Quote:
As Serpion said an Imperial ship which travels into the warp does so protected by a gellar field. This field projects a bubble of reality around the ship to protect it from the depredations of the warp. Thus, generally speaking, Imperial ships would appear as they normally do because they are cocooned in a bubble of reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).

Last edited by Child-of-the-Emperor; 01-06-14 at 09:26 PM.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-16-14, 05:27 AM
GabrialSagan's Flag is: USA

Explaining the warp to a human is like trying to explain Van Gogh's Starry Night to a worm. To understand the warp you have to imagine what jazz tastes like. You have to be able to know what the smell of purple is. The warp is chaos, everything you understand, everything you can imagine is inapplicable. Time and distance are functions of the thoughts of innumerable minds resonating with the ambient energies of gods and monsters that eat logic for breakfast.

Last edited by GabrialSagan; 01-16-14 at 05:51 AM.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-25-14, 06:47 PM

Quote:
So, the warp is a tide of currents made up of energy, I understand that part of it, but what I don't understand is if the warp is just a tide of currents, then what exactly are the domains of the Chaos Gods?
The Warp is the raw stuff of souls. The same way water is made of two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom, the Warp is made of souls.

That aetheric 'matter' can be shaped by emotion and imagination into daemons, Gods, the realms of the Gods, and so on.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode