Where is Sahaal in the HH? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-14, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleaxus View Post
I think also, whereas Ahriman or Typhus are woven into the fabric of 40k, Sahaal was an esoteric bit of lore from an old novel.
Sahaal began life in much the same way these other characters did, someone wrote him in a story. The difference is that his story was a novel, not part of a codex. However, calling the only novel about the Night Lords an "esoteric bit of lore" is a bit of a stretch.

Quote:
It must be so confining, writing 30k, knowing that you have to include characters and trying to think of reasons to keep them around. With Sevatar, ADB has a character he can kill off at anytime, perform acts of heroism or infamy, or be as vague as he likes about his ultimate fate. With Sahaal anything ADB could have done would have been "wrong" to someone. It's hard to write a character that has to end up vilified by his legion but also remain in the most respected position right through until 40k.
1) Actually, the mere existence of Sahaal forces Sevatar to die. Sevatar is First Captain at the start of the Heresy but Sahaal has taken his place by the end.
2) Some people might well have been upset by any portrayal of Sahaal however some people are upset about his absence. Kind of a lose-lose.
3) Sahaal isn't necessarily vilified or respected by his Legion in Lord of the Night, or even in Soul Hunter. He is vilified by Krieg and Talos but neither of their opinions is necessarily reflective of the Legion. Sahaal's relationship with his Legion is actually left pretty vague and could easily have been explored.
4) ADB used Kharn as a POV character. If he was afraid of using 'established' characters in his stories I doubt he would've done so. Further it shows that using 'other peoples' characters can be just as effective as creating your own.

"Look into my eyes, and see your death."
"Let them hate, so long as they fear."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-14, 04:41 AM

emporershand89's Flag is: USA

Location: New England.....somewhere in that mess of awesomness!!

After reading through all these posts it's great to know some more information that the book doesn't provide but what I want to know is when does SaHall meet up with M'Shen, the Assassin who fucks him over royally and starts his lovely persuit into Chaos??

Anyone know?

"Walk Softely, and Carry a Big Gun!"
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-14, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emporershand89 View Post
After reading through all these posts it's great to know some more information that the book doesn't provide but what I want to know is when does SaHall meet up with M'Shen, the Assassin who fucks him over royally and starts his lovely persuit into Chaos??

Anyone know?
Never. Talos kills M'Shen shortly after she kills Night Haunter and whilst Sahaal is otherwise occupied.

Also, Sahaal doesn't pursue Chaos. He briefly utilizes it before rejecting it completely.

"Look into my eyes, and see your death."
"Let them hate, so long as they fear."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode