Russ Vs Angron - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-04-14, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Default Russ Vs Angron

If I remember correctly Russ loss the fight to Angron in martial combat but won the overall battle by having the Space wolves surround Angron and could of killed Angron but didn't. what I don't understand is Russ plays the executioner role and why didn't Russ kill off Angron?

I mean what was the point to teach Angron anything when you are the executioner and the role is to kill off.

Is that why the Emperor order Horus to rein in Angron becaus Russ failed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-04-14, 05:32 PM

DeathJester921's Flag is: USA

Russ confronted Angron of his own volition. The Emperor didn't have anything to do with The Night of the Wolf (IIRC, that is what their confrontation was called).

My youtube channel. Feel free to stop by and have a look if you're interested. I do Airsoft, some warhammer related videos, and gaming videos.

R.I.P. Uncle Lee. You will be greatly missed by us all. We will see each other again some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamTheApostle View Post
Remember kids: Violence isn't the answer, its the question. The answer is yes.
post #3 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-04-14, 06:04 PM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

As far as we know (yet we'll never know for sure) Russ confronted Angron, as DeathJester said, of his own volition. We also don't know for sure whether Russ and the Wolves were officially sanctioned executioners or took the mantle for themselves.

Regardless, Russ wanted to teach Angron a lesson, but failed. Angron didn't even understand what Russ was trying to achieve until Lorgar explained it to him during the Shadow Crusade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).

post #4 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-04-14, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak76 View Post
If I remember correctly Russ loss the fight to Angron in martial combat but won the overall battle by having the Space wolves surround Angron and could of killed Angron but didn't. what I don't understand is Russ plays the executioner role and why didn't Russ kill off Angron?
1) The Space Wolves believe they are the Emperor's executioner's but its not clear that Russ believes the same. Nor is it clear that they actually are.
2) It's also not clear when the Wolves began to believe this about themselves. They may not have thought of themselves as executioner's until later sent against the Thousand Sons.
3) Russ was not in a position to personally kill Angron. As you point out Angron had won the individual fight. If Russ wanted Angron dead he would've had to sacrifice himself, he was not willing to make that sacrifice just to teach a lesson.

"Look into my eyes, and see your death."
"Let them hate, so long as they fear."
post #5 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-05-14, 01:02 AM

Malacador seems to believe the wolves are executioners, according to the unremembered empire he sent a pack of wolves to watch the loyal primarchs.
post #6 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-05-14, 02:39 AM

I haven't read Empire so I can't say for certain, however if those packs are anything like the ones watching Sanguinius in Fear to Tread then they're not really executioners. There's never any suggestion, and it would be rediculous of there had been, that these Wolves would be capable of executing a wayward Primarch. They are simply there to watch and report back. When a unit is actually sent to provide potential punishment on a Primarch the Emperor sends Custodes not Wolves.

"Look into my eyes, and see your death."
"Let them hate, so long as they fear."
post #7 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-05-14, 03:27 AM
Deathwing Commissar

Phoebus's Flag is: USA

MEQinc,

Are you so sure of that?

Quote:
“‘We know what must be done, brothers. From this moment onwards, a Space Wolf must be within reach of the Angel at all times.’ Redknife continued his address to the rest of his squad, ...
‘Those were Malcador’s orders,’ said Stiel. ‘Until he countermands them.’
‘If he countermands them,’ Redknife replied.
The Rune Priest halted, and the question that had been pressing at him since the moment they set off for the Nartaba system pushed to the front of his thoughts. ‘Have we considered… if we enact our orders to the full letter… What will become of us?’
‘That is obvious, skald,’ said one of the other Wolves, a young blade named Valdin. ‘We will die. They will kill us all. Did you think there would be any other outcome?’
‘Our deaths are assured. But we must do this. We must be ready to enact the ultimate sanction upon Sanguinius, if the moment comes.’
Stiel shook his head. ‘I hear you say the words and I obey. But I cannot accept that we might attempt to kill a…’ He faltered, unable to say the words.”

Excerpt From: James Swallow. “Fear to Tread.” iBooks.
post #8 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-05-14, 03:33 AM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

They specifically state in Unremembered Empire that they are there to watch over the remaining loyalist Primarchs for any sign of treachery and to kill them if necessary, as sanctioned by Russ and Malcador. Guilliman and others often refer to the Wolves and Russ as the Executioners/The Executioner on multiple occasions. I was going to make a thread before on all the various references to them being called as such or signs that they are, and tbh, from it all now, I think it's more than just their opinion. Many others see them as such as well.
post #9 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-05-14, 04:07 AM
Deathwing Commissar

Phoebus's Flag is: USA

The new Heresy book by Forgeworld also strongly hints at the "Executioner" theme for the Vlka Fenryka. When listing the last events leading up to the Heresy, there are two that have "ALL DATA REDACTED". Guess what Legion is listed as being associated with those two events (ironic, given that everything else is, well, redacted)? The Space Wolves.

Last edited by Phoebus; 01-05-14 at 04:15 AM.
post #10 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-05-14, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEQinc View Post
I haven't read Empire so I can't say for certain, however if those packs are anything like the ones watching Sanguinius in Fear to Tread then they're not really executioners. There's never any suggestion, and it would be rediculous of there had been, that these Wolves would be capable of executing a wayward Primarch. They are simply there to watch and report back. When a unit is actually sent to provide potential punishment on a Primarch the Emperor sends Custodes not Wolves.
Given what we know of the wolves of all the astartes they have the best chance of killing a primarch who knows they are coming.

Other's stated that they are, and in empire gulliman states their purpose.

EDIT:

Oh yeah almost forgot.

Stating that russ could be angron based on a single battle where he wasn't even trying to kill him isn't a good comparison.

Russ's purpose was to show angron his flaws as a commander, he knew angron would come at him without holding back so he had a plan around that.

It's never stated who's stronger after vulkan but I'm willing to bet angron is equal to russ.

Last edited by Reaper45; 01-05-14 at 04:24 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode