Russ Vs Angron - Page 5 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-06-14, 05:08 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,685
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEQinc View Post

If this is the lesson Russ sacrificed his sons and risked his life for, then he is the fool, not Angron.



Were Night Haunter and Guilliman protected by plot armour or were the Wolves/Alpha Legion?

We have extensive evidence showing us that Marines are nothing to Primarchs, we have one source where they suddenly become credible threats. Is it more likely that every prior source is exaggerating, or just this one?
Depends on where you stand, we know that Gulliman and curze survive the heresy and are brought down in desperate incidents.

Also keep in mind gullimans advisors words. One lucky shot to his head would have killed him.

Russ knew going in that the world eaters were dangerous he stated that they attacked many allies before this event.
Reaper45 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-06-14, 05:29 AM
Senior Member
 
MEQinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,212
Reputation: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Depends on where you stand, we know that Gulliman and curze survive the heresy and are brought down in desperate incidents.
Obviously we know that Night Haunter and Guilliman survive the incidents of the book. My question was, is it plot (their stated later demise) that saves them from logical danger, or was it logical ability that saved them from plot (the need for drama)? Given the evidence we have been given of Primarch's ability should they have been placed in danger at all? Given the evidence we have been given of Primarch's ability should they have been able to escape the danger they were in?

Quote:
Also keep in mind gullimans advisors words. One lucky shot to his head would have killed him.
(Having not read the novel)
1) Fulgrim was shot in the head and suffered no lasting damage.
2) We are repeatedly shown that non-Primarchs have absolutely no idea what it takes to kill a Primarch. Hell, we are directly told that medical professionals are unable to recognize the innards of a Primarch.

Quote:
Russ knew going in that the world eaters were dangerous he stated that they attacked many allies before this event.
So Russ knowingly and willingly provoked berserkers (ie. people with a lack of control over their own violence), knowingly and willingly sacrificing hundreds of his men, knowingly and willingly nearly died (he probably should have), just to teach Angron a lesson about tactical awareness? Not a lesson about restraint, or a lesson about trusting allies (after all Russ initiates the battle) but a lesson about military tactics. That is completely out of character for Russ. He never approaches another brother with tactical advice, he in fact takes pains to paint an image of himself and his legion as not being tactical. He takes pains to reduce his losses in future battles and doesn't seem to take undue risks. In short Russ planning for the Night of the Wolf to turn out the way it did is completely out of character.

"Look into my eyes, and see your death."
"Let them hate, so long as they fear."

Last edited by MEQinc; 01-06-14 at 05:31 AM.
MEQinc is offline  
post #43 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-06-14, 08:05 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,685
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEQinc View Post
Obviously we know that Night Haunter and Guilliman survive the incidents of the book. My question was, is it plot (their stated later demise) that saves them from logical danger, or was it logical ability that saved them from plot (the need for drama)? Given the evidence we have been given of Primarch's ability should they have been placed in danger at all? Given the evidence we have been given of Primarch's ability should they have been able to escape the danger they were in?



(Having not read the novel)
1) Fulgrim was shot in the head and suffered no lasting damage.
2) We are repeatedly shown that non-Primarchs have absolutely no idea what it takes to kill a Primarch. Hell, we are directly told that medical professionals are unable to recognize the innards of a Primarch.

So Russ knowingly and willingly provoked berserkers (ie. people with a lack of control over their own violence), knowingly and willingly sacrificing hundreds of his men, knowingly and willingly nearly died (he probably should have), just to teach Angron a lesson about tactical awareness? Not a lesson about restraint, or a lesson about trusting allies (after all Russ initiates the battle) but a lesson about military tactics. That is completely out of character for Russ. He never approaches another brother with tactical advice, he in fact takes pains to paint an image of himself and his legion as not being tactical. He takes pains to reduce his losses in future battles and doesn't seem to take undue risks. In short Russ planning for the Night of the Wolf to turn out the way it did is completely out of character.
Shooting anything enough times with a high explosive armour piercing weapon and you're going to kill it.

Since gulliman dove for cover and didn't rush them I'd say he wasn't sure he'd survive.

Exactly Angron is a berzerker that means he has only one method of attack. Pissing them off is the best way to beat them as you'll manipulate them into doing what you want.
Reaper45 is offline  
 
post #44 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-06-14, 01:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Chompy Bits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,514
Reputation: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Exactly Angron is a berzerker that means he has only one method of attack. Pissing them off is the best way to beat them as you'll manipulate them into doing what you want.
Again... who was the one pissed off here? Russ, who attacked first? Or Angron who defended himself?

And that's the thing, Russ did attack first. Angron still told him before the whole thing started to escalate that he should leave before the confrontation turned into something Russ would regret. So what you are saying with all this intentional flanking and berzerker manipulation nonsense is that Russ wasted the lives of a number of legionnaires from 2 legions by forcing a confrontation with Angron, one that achieved nothing. That Russ is the one to blame for kicking off a needless fight that cost both legions several warriors. And as someone else has said, the lesson meant nothing to Angron because he did not care whether he lived or died. He might as well have died on Nuceria as far as he was concerned.

So if we take it your way, the Wolves did lose the Night of the Wolf. They took needless casualties while failing to achieve their objective (if teaching Angron and the World Eaters a lesson by flanking Angron was in fact that). And you can say what you will, but the fact that the Wolves fought the "broken" legion in a head to head fight and came off worse in terms of casualties would have majorly stung their pride.

If we take your interpretation it makes Russ look like a reckless, arrogant idiot. But if we take it as Russ losing a duel to Angron, but having the Space Wolves stepping in, not by any specific design for that moment, but simply because they naturally had enough focus, discipline and tactical sense to keep track of the primarch battle where the World Eaters didn't, it paints a very different picture, one where the Wolves come out as looking far better than the World Eaters. And one that paints a more sensible picture of Russ too, one that fits more with his character IMO. It shows a Russ that was capable of thinking quickly and adapting, and turning a moment of personal defeat into something positive when his sons came to support him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Curze also beat two primarchs one of which was hunting him on curzes own turf for months.
Also, please point out to me where Curze beat two primarchs? Holding them off, while still quite impressive, is not even remotely the same thing as beating them.

The human appendix. Proof of a higher power. A divine kill switch so to speak.

No one really likes a smartass, but people tend to like a dumbass even less.

Last edited by Chompy Bits; 01-06-14 at 05:15 PM.
Chompy Bits is offline  
post #45 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-06-14, 02:18 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 34
Reputation: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Shooting anything enough times with a high explosive armour piercing weapon and you're going to kill it.

Since gulliman dove for cover and didn't rush them I'd say he wasn't sure he'd survive.

Exactly Angron is a berzerker that means he has only one method of attack. Pissing them off is the best way to beat them as you'll manipulate them into doing what you want.
You theory falls apart due to the fact that Russ struck FIRST.

And due to the fact that Angron was easily beating Russ verbally before Russ struck first.

Russ overstepped his bounds and wrote checks his body could'nt cash.

Someone else could have emparted Russ ''lesson'' then Russ did.
godking is offline  
post #46 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-06-14, 09:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Justindkates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Charlotte, N.C.
Posts: 243
Reputation: 6
Default

I dont remember the exact words but Angron says something to the fact of "I should go to Terra and take the tyrants head myself" and that was when the shooting started.

Yeah I take pictures of hot girls. Some one has to.
Justindkates is offline  
post #47 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-07-14, 04:52 AM
Senior Member
 
MEQinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,212
Reputation: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Shooting anything enough times with a high explosive armour piercing weapon and you're going to kill it.
Sure. How many shots do you think it would take to kill a space ship ? Just because something is achievable doesn't mean its feasible.

Quote:
Since gulliman dove for cover and didn't rush them I'd say he wasn't sure he'd survive.
Or he wanted to minimize injury. We commonly see the Primarchs react to danger by attempting to minimize that danger, but we have yet to see one killed so easily.

Quote:
Exactly Angron is a berzerker that means he has only one method of attack. Pissing them off is the best way to beat them as you'll manipulate them into doing what you want.
So Russ wanted Angron to kill him? He wanted the World Eaters to kill loads of Wolves? Seriously, just think about what you're saying.

"Look into my eyes, and see your death."
"Let them hate, so long as they fear."
MEQinc is offline  
post #48 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-07-14, 04:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,685
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEQinc View Post
Sure. How many shots do you think it would take to kill a space ship ? Just because something is achievable doesn't mean its feasible.

One shot.

Or he wanted to minimize injury. We commonly see the Primarchs react to danger by attempting to minimize that danger, but we have yet to see one killed so easily.

I dunno I'd say beheading would be called an easy kill

So Russ wanted Angron to kill him? He wanted the World Eaters to kill loads of Wolves? Seriously, just think about what you're saying.
It's the world eaters, Russ went in there knowing their reputation. In the short story after Des'ha It's made pretty clear the world eaters were killing allies before they had the nails.

You would have to be pretty stupid to assume there would be no violence. They all would know that.
Reaper45 is offline  
post #49 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-07-14, 05:33 AM
Senior Member
 
MEQinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,212
Reputation: 12
Default

Quote:
One shot.

Where would you shoot a ship the size of a city to kill it?

Quote:
I dunno I'd say beheading would be called an easy kill


Sure, beheading via epic duel between demi-gods. Easy kill.

Quote:
You would have to be pretty stupid to assume there would be no violence. They all would know that.


1) I'm not sure that's true. Both Primarchs seem initially reluctant to fight. Angron even tries to get Russ to leave without bloodshed.
2) If Russ' goal was to start a fight then why does he bother talking to Angron? Russ doesn't need to provoke Angron, as he believes he has the legal and moral right to sanction him. If all Russ wants is a fight, then he should've opened with the punch.
3) You'd have to be pretty stupid to base a plan around being able to convince a lobotomized berserker to spare your life after you've made a legitimate attempt to kill him.
4) You'd also have to be pretty stupid to create a plan around large numbers of your men dieing for no good reason.

"Look into my eyes, and see your death."
"Let them hate, so long as they fear."
MEQinc is offline  
post #50 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-07-14, 08:57 AM
Senior Member
 
Chompy Bits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,514
Reputation: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
It's the world eaters, Russ went in there knowing their reputation. In the short story after Des'ha It's made pretty clear the world eaters were killing allies before they had the nails.

You would have to be pretty stupid to assume there would be no violence. They all would know that.
Except there are a number of other examples of where the World Eaters and/or Angron interact with other legions without any violence. Then there is the fact that Angron still told Russ to leave peacefully before there was any violence. And then there is also the fact that it was Russ who threw the first blow, not Angron or any of the World Eaters. If Russ had left peacefully before/during/after the verbal encounter there would have been no violence. But he drew his weapon first and attacked Angron. So yeah, your point doesn't hold any merit right now.

You make it sound as though the World Eaters would just randomly attack anyone else at any given time for no real reason. And we know that even at their worst, (before falling to Khorne during the HH that is, and even then they were able to work with the other traitors), that wasn't the case. Or it would have been completely impossible for the World Eaters to work alongside the other traitor legions at Isstvan, or join up with Lorgar for his Shadow Crusade.

The human appendix. Proof of a higher power. A divine kill switch so to speak.

No one really likes a smartass, but people tend to like a dumbass even less.
Chompy Bits is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome