Concerning the Astral Claws/Red Corsairs... - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-07-14, 06:36 AM
hailene's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEQinc View Post
Corruption isn't a strictly linear thing though.
The corruption rate doesn't matter. The important point I was raising is that the Corsairs had centuries to become corrupted. In otherwords, they had centuries to build up their numbers, create fleets, ect.

Huron didn't necessarily amass his force in the 80 (sidereal) years since the fall of Badab. He's had a lot more (potentially).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-07-14, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailene View Post
The corruption rate doesn't matter. The important point I was raising is that the Corsairs had centuries to become corrupted. In otherwords, they had centuries to build up their numbers, create fleets, ect.

Huron didn't necessarily amass his force in the 80 (sidereal) years since the fall of Badab. He's had a lot more (potentially).
Well my point was that you can't assume Huron's had more time just because his force is corrupted. It wouldn't take centuries. It wouldn't necessarily take years. So assuming Huron's had centuries based on that is faulty.

Plus,the fact that Huron's maybe had centuries is irrelevant. His recruits are coming from the materium (almost exclusively) and therefore have to have turned sometime after the Astral Claws did. Otherwise they joined the Red Corsairs before the Red Corsairs existed.

"Look into my eyes, and see your death."
"Let them hate, so long as they fear."
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-07-14, 07:01 AM

Quote:
So assuming Huron's had centuries based on that is faulty.
No no no...let me drag the quote out for you.

"In mere centuries, many of the Red Corsairs were as victimised by genetic disorder as the Traitor Legions dwelling within the Eye of Terror for millennia."

Also Blood Reaver states that the Red Corsairs have augmenting a space station with "centuries of raiding".

Quote:
His recruits are coming from the materium (almost exclusively)
Source?

The Maelstrom is a very large place. On a single station within the Maelstrom, a relative few number of Night Lords slaves are able to gather up several hundred uncorrupted youth for implantation. And that is but one station.

EVEN if Huron was recruiting solely from the materium, how many recruits could he drag from a Hive's gangs? From a feral world? He could scoop up thousands, if not tens of thousands, of ripe potential spacemarines from a single deathworld. Recruits are rarely a problem if you're willing to spread your net wide enough.

Geneseed is the issue...but if it (or the Astartes it's implanted in) is chilling in the Maelstrom, then they have centuries for it to grow.

post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-07-14, 07:21 AM

Quote:
No no no...let me drag the quote out for you.

"In mere centuries, many of the Red Corsairs were as victimised by genetic disorder as the Traitor Legions dwelling within the Eye of Terror for millennia."

Also Blood Reaver states that the Red Corsairs have augmenting a space station with "centuries of raiding".
Oh. Oops. I thought you were discussing how long it took them to get corrupted but you were actually basing the entire thing off the "mere centuries" bit. Now I feel foolish.

I'll point out (mostly to salvage some pride) that the language of those quotes is extremely vague and comes from an unspecified point in time. We don't know when exactly Blood Reaver takes place (we can speculate but we can't be sure). Personally I see it as the author being vague to avoid conflicting with established dates rather than very subtly hinting that the Red Corsairs have been active for longer than previously established.

Quote:
The Maelstrom is a very large place. On a single station within the Maelstrom, a relative few number of Night Lords slaves are able to gather up several hundred uncorrupted youth for implantation. And that is but one station.

EVEN if Huron was recruiting solely from the materium, how many recruits could he drag from a Hive's gangs? From a feral world? He could scoop up thousands, if not tens of thousands, of ripe potential spacemarines from a single deathworld. Recruits are rarely a problem if you're willing to spread your net wide enough.
I didn't realize/remember the Maelstrom had planets in it. However I wasn't referring to creating new Marines. I was referring to other traitors and renegades joining, it should be obvious why those individuals would have to come from the materium.

Huron has somehow increased his force from ~200 (survivors of Badab) to ~100,000 (average Legion size) in at most a couple centuries. How is that possible? The Traitor Legions haven't grow noticeably over a far longer time scale and the number of Chapters going rouge hasn't suddenly spiked. The numbers there just don't add up.

"Look into my eyes, and see your death."
"Let them hate, so long as they fear."
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-07-14, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Personally I see it as the author being vague to avoid conflicting with established dates rather than very subtly hinting that the Red Corsairs have been active for longer than previously established.
Oh, we can get pretty close.

It happened around 994999.m41--The Fall of Vilamus.

Theoretically, I guess, the fleet from Hell's Iris (the space station) could have taken a long time.

We DEFINITELY know it's "sometime after the Badab War" (which ended in 912.M41) and sometime BEFORE the 13th Black Crusade (999.M41).

Quote:
I didn't realize/remember the Maelstrom had planets in it.
it does.

"They’d already sailed past several worlds, through the heart of three systems. On one of the worlds, the oceans had boiled, visible even from orbit. Unnatural storms plagued the planet’s face, raining piss, acid and blood onto the continents below."

Quote:
Huron has somehow increased his force from ~200 (survivors of Badab) to ~100,000 (average Legion size)
I don't think we've seen numbers to support THAT many. I'm thinking closer to 10-20k. But if someone could provide more solid numbers, I would be happy to read their sources.

The Astral Claws were going absolutely nuts in cultivating new geneseed, before before and during (perhaps especially) the Badab War. They also stole whatever they could (from ally or foe).

I can't imagine Vilamus is their first geneseed grab--though almost undoubtedly their most successful.

Last edited by hailene; 01-07-14 at 07:38 AM.
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-31-14, 05:26 PM

Warlock in Training's Flag is: USA

Huron Blackheart is my favorite chaos Marine.
That said, read the CSM Codex Entries, 6th Rule Book short story, Blood Reaver, Gildar Rift, and Skull Harvest. You have all you need on the Blood Reaver.
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-04-14, 12:29 AM

Over Two Meters Tall!'s Flag is: USA

Quote:

Geneseed is the issue...but if it (or the Astartes it's implanted in) is chilling in the Maelstrom, then they have centuries for it to grow.
Especially if your only criteria are psychosis and violence. I can't imagine the CSM are too worried about mutation, or the failure of the geneseed to implant in a candidate. Any ole warm body would do.

Another angle, although perhaps not too big, could be amassing rouge SMs already in the Eye like those in "Dead Sky, Black Sun" about Uriel Ventris doing his time in the Eye. The book describes him finding around 1-2 dozen Astares hiding out on the Iron Warriors planet. If word got around, it might attract a good 50 - 100 renegade Astares from different points in time to Huron's band... with their potential of replaning their geneseed.

The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you have to load, or if you have to unload, go to the White Zone. You'll love it... it's a way of life.

Nick Naylor: Cigarettes in space?
Jeff Megall: It's the final frontier, Nick.
Nick Naylor: But wouldn't they blow up in an all oxygen environment?
Jeff Megall: Probably. But it's an easy fix. One line of dialogue. 'Thank God we invented the... you know, whatever device.'
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-12-14, 07:41 PM

Warlock in Training's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over Two Meters Tall! View Post
Especially if your only criteria are psychosis and violence. I can't imagine the CSM are too worried about mutation, or the failure of the geneseed to implant in a candidate. Any ole warm body would do.

Another angle, although perhaps not too big, could be amassing rouge SMs already in the Eye like those in "Dead Sky, Black Sun" about Uriel Ventris doing his time in the Eye. The book describes him finding around 1-2 dozen Astares hiding out on the Iron Warriors planet. If word got around, it might attract a good 50 - 100 renegade Astares from different points in time to Huron's band... with their potential of replaning their geneseed.
What really weird is in the Iron Warrior Omnibus, Vaanes call himself a Red Corsair! I was like how? Your not in the Maelstrom, and you do not follow Huron, WTH?!
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-12-14, 08:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock in Training View Post
What really weird is in the Iron Warrior Omnibus, Vaanes call himself a Red Corsair! I was like how? Your not in the Maelstrom, and you do not follow Huron, WTH?!
I believe he mentioned he used to be a Red Corsair; and since they are a mostly loose warband of renegades it is far from impossible for him to have been one of them and then leave at some point to pursue his own agenda.

Its also far from impossible for him to have been in the maelstrom at some point, since we know very little about when Vaanes went renegade and how long it has been since then.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-12-14, 08:45 PM

Chaplain-Grimaldus's Flag is: England

It was also written Pre-Badab re vamp when red corsairs were just a bunch of renegades from various chapters, they crossed out their previous markings and chapter logos with red crosses.

W-L-D
Dark Angels 5th Coy 1.5k - 0-0-0
Vampire Counts 1k - 1-1-0

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode