Perpetuals (Spoilers) - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-03-14, 02:04 AM

Im going on a hunch here, but they could easily apply the fact Horus and the 4 gods used psychic means primarily,which means purely physical solutions (physiological healing/dreadnought) wont work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-03-14, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child-of-the-Emperor View Post
Initially, the introduction of the perpetuals (in Legion up to and including Know No Fear) was interesting and full of potential.

Kyme ruined it with Vulkan Lives and Abnett didn't do much to salvage it in The Unremembered Empire. As it stands, the introduction of Vulkan as a perpetual is, well, ridiculous.

@deadeye: Horus did a lot more to the Emperor than inflict wounds that a regular Space Marine could have endured. The account in Collected Visions is one of the most comprehensive we have and explains it in more detail.

Also, each perpetual's ability to revive or reincarnate seems to be different.
I'm curious how exactly did they ruin it?

If they die they regenerate simple as that. They don't know they are perpetual till they get killed.

There's plenty of interesting things happening with them. That guy sent to help John is a good example.

John feels remorse about having to betray humanity but the other guy doesn't.

Vulkan is a another example while he's immortal his mind isn't, put through enough he'll go insane. With no indication he would recover without help.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-03-14, 07:36 AM

I have not yet read Vulkan Lives, though it is on my list.

1. i dont think they ruined anything, as somone pointed out malcador was dying on the golden throne and the Big E had to go and help.

2. the reason the old fluff still fits with the new fluff: is the illuminati and the whole if the Emporer dies does he become a New God of Good or does he come back. ( if he does come back it might not be in time to save Terra and it would also mean the Astronimicon would b out, which I forget when the fluff says, but at one point in the Age of Apostasy didnt it blink out for a couple of seconds or something and cause massive civil wars in the Segmentums and untold countless ships lost in Warp?

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-03-14, 10:21 AM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

They do not all have the ability to come back to life. I think Grammaticus says it in one of the books. Some are immortal and will live forever if not killed, but can die with a bullet in the brain as easily as the next man. Others appear to come back of their own accord, while others seem to need the help of the Cabal to come back. Maybe the Emperor was immortal without being eternal.

At the start I thought it was a great device, especially tying back to the old Ollianus Pious fluff and how it gives an insight into the Emperor (Pious thought that the Emperor was a dick. That's nearly worth it alone.), but they are popping up everywhere now. That's kinda taking the novelty off it. Like who was the one that appeared on the WB ship in Betrayer? That was just nonsense.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-03-14, 10:25 AM
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
They do not all have the ability to come back to life. I think Grammaticus says it in one of the books. Some are immortal and will live forever if not killed, but can die with a bullet in the brain as easily as the next man. Others appear to come back of their own accord, while others seem to need the help of the Cabal to come back. Maybe the Emperor was immortal without being eternal.

At the start I thought it was a great device, especially tying back to the old Ollianus Pious fluff and how it gives an insight into the Emperor (Pious thought that the Emperor was a dick. That's nearly worth it alone.), but they are popping up everywhere now. That's kinda taking the novelty off it. Like who was the one that appeared on the WB ship in Betrayer? That was just nonsense.
That one from the WB ship is the one helping John Grammaticus in Unremembered Empire, and there was a hint that he had been recruited by the Eldar from Old Terra during WW2, Iwo Jima if i recall correctly.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-22-15, 05:41 PM

Has the fluff ever mentioned the origins of perpetuals. I always assumed they were aberrations that randomly emerge from humanity.

Alivia Sureka (a perpetual), in the short story Wolf Hunt faces a crisis which includes the following sentence.

"For all the cunning wrought into her kind's making..."

This suggests that perpetuals were manufactured?
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-22-15, 05:56 PM
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

John Grammaticus was a manufactured Perpetual by his own words, by the Cabal.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-22-15, 09:26 PM

Over Two Meters Tall!'s Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by emporershand89 View Post

On a final note your comment on the Dreadnought brings up a very good point. If they can put back together Adeptus Astartes warriors who have been virtually torn apart (Space Wolves anyone?) and keep them alive in a Dreadnought why is the Emporer not doing this? Seriously he could walk amongst men again, he could start the Crusade, he could truely be the God of Mankind!!
Based on the description of the Golden Throne in the Mechanicus book tested by Magos Koriel Zeth, I think the Golden Throne actually serves to boost the power available to the user. While the Big E was amazing in his own right, the Golden Throne might be the thing allowing him to do what he's doing.

Oh, sorry for the resurrection.

The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you have to load, or if you have to unload, go to the White Zone. You'll love it... it's a way of life.

Nick Naylor: Cigarettes in space?
Jeff Megall: It's the final frontier, Nick.
Nick Naylor: But wouldn't they blow up in an all oxygen environment?
Jeff Megall: Probably. But it's an easy fix. One line of dialogue. 'Thank God we invented the... you know, whatever device.'
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-15, 03:12 AM
Mob

I agree on the disparity in abilities being a devaluer of them as a concept. I like the mystery and some of the implications, but some of the writing of their returns has taken the 'wow factor' of it too far into ehhhhhh moments.

I like that it's implied that Ollanius can live forever unless he's killed; he seems in genuine fear for his life at points. I like that he's 'old-age' proof but can simply be killed by a bullet to the head or whatever.
I also like that Grammaticus seems to need the Cabal and some time and effort to activate his resurrection ability. He seems to stay in the same body and return to life when his magic button is pressed. Only now he's burnt out the circuit and pressing that button won't do anything anymore.

Those two abilities seem clear - immortality unless killed, resurrection that needs a specific set of circumstances. Strengths and weaknesses.

Where it loses it for me is Matt Damon and the Guardian woman.

Matt Damon gets melted to ash and slurry, then reappears hardly anytime later completely whole. Did he regenerate from a pile of gloop? Really?! Come on. So then what? The Cabal can magic him into existence? In no time at all anywhere they like? pls no. He continues the Culture agent thing and has back-ups that can be sent in after him? Ehhhh.
It's all too magic-y and removes weaknesses if the guy can come back from being 14 molecules short of being atomised twenty minutes later. It's not made clear that he needs the Cabal, unlike John.

Guardian woman gets eviscerated then - correct me if I'm wrong - appears on a ship that left before she died, right? Totally whole. So, does she have an athame/teleport device? Those get around. Or can she, like Matt Damon, somehow choose to pop back into existence/take over someone else, Lucius style? But without the Cabal? HAX.

Vulkan was okay at first - he regens in the same body, super-Wolverine style, and it appears to have debilitating effects. Either that or even his Primarch mind has just broke from repeated torture, travelling through the warp unshielded and burning up in an atmosphere and surviving a meteor-like re-entry.
But he starts coming back from death in minutes. Totally cheap. And it was utter melodrama to kill him like 3 or 4 times in that one extended fight scene just because he could be killed with no ramifications.

However I don't have a problem with the Emperor 'dying' like he did as a) we haven't seen the series version of it yet and b) I think there's plenty wiggle room (as already mentioned above) to get away with it.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-15, 02:16 PM

Maybe if The Emperor were to let himself die and resurrect then all the power he stole from the Chaos Gods would have been stripped from him. Something he could not allow to happen.

Maybe this was a condition of him keeping the power. "You may only have it whilst you live, resurrect and you will lose it"

This would make the reason why he chose the Throne over regeneration more clear.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode