How long till Tau construct Titans - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 95 (permalink) Old 12-28-13, 04:53 PM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by godking View Post
What specifically does a titan bring which the Tau dont already have ?
Rule of cool is what Titans bring to a faction that Tau lack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 95 (permalink) Old 12-28-13, 08:48 PM
Bruva I am hit!

Protoss119's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Words_of_Truth View Post
You're still thinking from an anti imperial perspective, what about Tyranids? How will a Tiger Sharks deal with being swarmed by millions of Tyranid flying creatures, or massed land based swarms? A single gun won't be enough and tons of hammerheads etc are not exactly practical or effective when they can be swarmed over. A Titan would give them the ability to wade through the swarms, carry heavier anti infantry weaponry which perhaps could be designed to face air threats to.
From Index Astartes III, describing the Battle of Macragge:

Quote:
Neuro-path engrams of Princeps Sidarius Calvin,
Legio Praetor Warlord Titan Semper Sanctus.
Northern Polar Defence Grid. 745.M41

03:58 hours: Channel 564/M3.
Damn it, I said to watch for overheats Moderati Decius! Assign yourself one hour in the shriving chamber upon this battle's conclusion. Princeps Calvin to Engineer Calder give me striding speed, we take the fight to the alien scum! I see fluid leaking from its hide. Ready chain fist generators! And someone clear the smaller creatures from the legs of my titan! They slow us down...
04:01 hours: Channel 564/lvl�.
Death to all enemies of the Emperor! Free up those turbo lasers Moderati Decius, burn through the tentacles! Get that chain fist free! Stepping back. No! We cannot move! Engineer Calder what the hell are you doing down there? Give me power to the legs! What do you mean we have power? Then why are we not moving? Imperator! The joints are clogged with the corpses of the smaller beasts... Emperor save us!
Being that the smaller creatures are seen slowing down and clogging the joints of the Warlord Titan in question, I reckon that a Tau Titan would not be significantly more effective against the Tyranids than the AX-1-0 or Hammerhead if it can suffer the same fate as the Warlord.

Homebrew stuff for your viewing pleasure:
The Stormhunters Fluff/Crunch - Updated 10/07/13
The Rust Legion Fluff - Updated 5/19/13
Firaeveus Carron Rules - Updated 12/9/10
post #13 of 95 (permalink) Old 12-28-13, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

Except Imperial Titans are cumbersome, I doubt Tau ones would be and I bet they'd have a lot more sophisticated defence technology. If Eldar can have Titans, I don't see why Tau would think they are to good to have some themselves.

Last edited by Words_of_Truth; 12-28-13 at 09:22 PM.

post #14 of 95 (permalink) Old 12-28-13, 09:54 PM

emporershand89's Flag is: USA

Location: New England.....somewhere in that mess of awesomness!!

Quote:
If i remeber correctly Tau tanks have a winning record in direct confrontations with titans.
Really, can I get a link on that? Not challenging anything here but it is hard for me to beleive that a Imperial Titan wouldn't just spray those tanks down in super-heated plasma and hellfire. Damn it Jim, they have Void shield!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Words_of_Truth View Post
Except Imperial Titans are cumbersome,
I would make an expection to that; the Warlords are quite maneuverable. While I'm no Titan expert they have a good track record of Hit-and-Run on enemy positions with little losses. However they cannot survive a strait up fight with another Titan. :p

"Walk Softely, and Carry a Big Gun!"
post #15 of 95 (permalink) Old 12-28-13, 10:58 PM

Rems's Flag is: Australia

The Ta not currently having Titans is likely a doctrinal and technical capability issue.

The Tau like to wage a mobile form of warfare, this influences the design of their military equipment. Their tanks are grav based, battlesuits have jump jets, Cadres have assigned orcas as standard. At every level there's the capacity for mobility.

As such their Titans would have to be able to keep pace. This would require, very fast, jump capable titans like the eldar's and suitable transport aircraft. At the moment they lack either. Titans sized war engines also require titan level shielding, something the Tau also don't have.

Quote:
Tau tanks can kill titans.
Hammerheads in sufficient numbers can kill warhounds. So can land raiders or leman russes. It takes a lot of them though and will be costly.

In the fluff titans are the apex weapon in land warfare. It may not make much sense but that's how it is in the background.

post #16 of 95 (permalink) Old 12-29-13, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emporershand89 View Post
Really, can I get a link on that? Not challenging anything here but it is hard for me to beleive that a Imperial Titan wouldn't just spray those tanks down in super-heated plasma and hellfire. Damn it Jim, they have Void shield!!!

I would make an expection to that; the Warlords are quite maneuverable. While I'm no Titan expert they have a good track record of Hit-and-Run on enemy positions with little losses. However they cannot survive a strait up fight with another Titan. :p
During the Taros campaign a war hound was killed with ONE strafing run from a refitted tiger shark. One or two hammerheads would kill a warhound.

A titan brings nothing to the table that the Tau cannot beat with their tanks.
post #17 of 95 (permalink) Old 12-29-13, 10:22 AM

emporershand89's Flag is: USA

Location: New England.....somewhere in that mess of awesomness!!

Quote:
During the Taros campaign a war hound was killed with ONE strafing run from a refitted tiger shark. One or two hammerheads would kill a warhound.

A titan brings nothing to the table that the Tau cannot beat with their tanks.
If this is true, then how can anyone claim to stand before their might of "Building an Empire." ;) (Wink, Wink). If a few Tau Tanks can take down the most powerful weapons in the Imperial's arsenal then why would we waste time wondering if they need build a Titan.

"Walk Softely, and Carry a Big Gun!"
post #18 of 95 (permalink) Old 12-29-13, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emporershand89 View Post
If this is true, then how can anyone claim to stand before their might of "Building an Empire." ;) (Wink, Wink). If a few Tau Tanks can take down the most powerful weapons in the Imperial's arsenal then why would we waste time wondering if they need build a Titan.
AX-1-0 Variant
First seen during the Taros Campaign, the AX-1-0 variant is a Tiger Shark that's been refitted for Titan-killing duty by replacing its Ion Cannons and Drone Racks with a pair of Railguns [1a].
The AX-1-0 provided a nasty shock when a strafing run from one destroyed the Warhound Titan Advensis Primaris. The three other Warhounds in the battle then withdrew rather than face such firepower.[1b]

I am not saying that the Tau are invincible just that they can counter Titans and that they dont need to build Titans themselves to fight against Titans to win.
post #19 of 95 (permalink) Old 12-29-13, 10:53 AM

Moriouce's Flag is: Sweden

So they got what they need against other Titans. If they would develop something to beat wave after wave of tyranids I reckon they would make a long range heavy flamer etc. A S6 Ap4 Heavy2 Torrent would do the trick. Mount these on the hammerhead chassi and you could have three to stop any number of nids short of their biotitans.

Good to be green

Barks Dakka Ladz: W3-D2-L3
Altansar Eldar: W3-D0-L2

post #20 of 95 (permalink) Old 12-29-13, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

They'll need Titans if they want to expand.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode