Iron Skulls - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-08, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
The Hammer of Olympia

BlackApostleVilhelm's Flag is: USA

Default Iron Skulls

Iron Skull Seargent.jpg

Iron Skull Marine 1.jpg

Iron Skull Marine 2.jpg

Iron Skull Marine 3.jpg

Iron Skull Marine 4.jpgok so i came up with my own space marine chapter. most of the fluff is further down this post but it needs a little more flavor if you guys could let me know what you think and give some suggestions that would be great! thanks! first i went to the bolter and chainsword's marine painter to play around with color scheme so here are some marines and a termie.

ok so that's the paint scheme i decided to go with. i got a little creative with the helmets and whatnot but thats basically it. i've decided on the name the Iron Skulls. the iron skull insignia from the iron warriors will go on their left shoulderpad. their geneseed is a mix between the imperial fists and the iron warriors. they are masters at seige and defence and rival even the great imperial fists if not surpassing them. their home planet is Troy the fourth planet in the Trojan system near the Eye of Terror. they were originally created to become the supreme masters at seige and defence, even better then the imperial fists, and seeing as how their home system is so close to the eye each planet has a mighty fortress monastary that is held by a company. there are ten grand companies numbers 1-5 are stationed at the fortress monastary on the planet Troy. the fortress, called The Wall, is built into a mighty mountain range and is the base of operations for the Iron Skulls. companies six-10 are each stationed at a seperate planet. the first three planets are uninhabitable. the fifth planet, an agri world called Diona, has the sixth company stationed on it. the sixth, a mining world called Tartarus, has the seventh company defending it. the seventh planet, another mining world called Styx, has the eighth company defending it. the eighth planet, an icy wasteland called Perseph, is defended by the ninth company. and the last planet in the system, a volcanic rock called Hadesa, is defended by the tenth company. each company has its own armored, scout, tacticle, heavy, air and veteran units. each is led by a captain who has a seat in what is called The Council. the Iron Skulls do have a marine that takes the title of chapter master and he is the captain of the first company, he functions exactly like one should, as the commander of the chapter. however when The Council does meet he is and equal among the other captains. The Council functions much like the wolf lords of fenris in that they meet to discuss the future and state of the chapter. their main purpose is to elect new captains when previous ones die, i.e. they function like fulgrim's brotherhood of the phoenix. they are masters at seige and defence and every planet they have defended from chaos has yet to fallen and every one they have laid seige to has fallen before them. no more than six great companies are gone at a time, the other four spread throughout the system's defences.

i have yet to come up with special or unique characters but i will soon, let me know what you guys think.

p.s. the pics were supposed to come in after the first paragraph so ignore the grammar

Here is the beginning of my fluff for my Iron Warriors Eighth Grand Company https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=51842

"A fortress is a living thing: the commander its brain, the walls its bones, the sensors its eyes and ears, the troops its blood, their weapons its fists. This tells us two things: If one organ fails, the whole dies. And if the whole dies, no single organ can survive alone."

Last edited by BlackApostleVilhelm; 07-10-08 at 06:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-08, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
The Hammer of Olympia

here's a termie and some more marines:

Iron Skull Marine 5.jpg

Iron Skull Terminator.jpg

let me know what you guys think

Here is the beginning of my fluff for my Iron Warriors Eighth Grand Company https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=51842

"A fortress is a living thing: the commander its brain, the walls its bones, the sensors its eyes and ears, the troops its blood, their weapons its fists. This tells us two things: If one organ fails, the whole dies. And if the whole dies, no single organ can survive alone."
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-08, 08:03 PM

not bad. what army list are u going to use or are u going to make your own??

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-08, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
The Hammer of Olympia

probably make up my own or imperial fists. i dont know yet

Last edited by BlackApostleVilhelm; 07-10-08 at 12:30 AM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-08, 10:26 AM

Dies Irae's Flag is: France

Location: In space, targeting you with plasma cannons. (Actually I am from France)

I think you should change the helmet's color. If they are name Iron Skulls, why do they have red helmets???

Good fluff, good color sheme

Check out my army: Iron Warriors 44th company

Sanity is for the weak
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-08, 04:52 PM

Not that its not possible and the Black Templars are allowed to do it mind you, but why are they allowed to go over 1000 members again?

"Oh it's you again...." *Bang
Inquistor Arkturus Palov as he banishes a daemon to the warp.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-08, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
The Hammer of Olympia

good point dies irae i was actually thinking about that. their allowed to go over the usual limit of 1000 marines because of how close they are to the eye. they are seen as a great asset in keeping chaos at bay in that area, so the more marines they have the better chance the imperium has of holding the traitors off.
here's the new models:

Iron Skull Seargent 1.jpg

Iron Skull 1st Company.jpg

Iron Skull 1st Company 2.jpg

Iron Skull 1st Company 3.jpg

Iron Skull 1st Company 4.jpg

Last edited by BlackApostleVilhelm; 07-10-08 at 05:59 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-08, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
The Hammer of Olympia

and once again a terminator:

Iron Skull 1st Company Terminator.jpg

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-08, 06:08 PM

Been primarily a lurker here but it's time to de-lurk.

Couple of things...

I like the scheme. A comment was made regarding the helmet color that I urge you to disregard. There are a preponderance of DIYs floating around the Internet that all fall into the same trap. The Purple Wyverns chapter must have purple armor; the Iron Skulls should have gray helmets. Gray helmets would look out of place and this degree of literalization is unnecessary. My best example is GW's own Red Scorpions. Look at there color scheme, dark gray and yellow. THe only red is the scorpion on their symbol. Your current scheme is solid and really doesn't need the suggested change.

Back off from the 1000+ violation. You don't need it. It's an all too typical symptom of uber-itis. The BTs are frequently pointed to as an example of how a chapter can break the rules in this area. They can only get away with it due to the fact that all of their chapter is split up into many crusades and are never in one place at the same time so that the powers that be could see they're in violation and take action. Your boys are in a fixed location as a bulwark against Chaos. They can be seen and counted. The Imperial Fists and Ultramarines are First Founding chapters with excellent and long-standing reputations and they're not allowed to break this rule. There's no way a lesser chapter will be allowed to either. There are people who'll tell you it's alright but they're not looking at how things in the 40K universe work. As you put this out here for people to comment on, it's understood that you want to make it better by eliminating aspects that really fit in. This is one of those. If you want your chapter to be more realistic in the 40K world, take a look at this thread

The Ultimate DIY Chapter Creation Thread

In general they have this very well thought out.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-08, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
The Hammer of Olympia

thanks for that thread st. germaine it really helps! about the helmets ive been on the fence for awhile about whether they should be red or grey. i thought the red tied it all nicely together and now that i see both options together in fron of me im going to stay with the red heads. but the first company are all going to have silver helmets. the whole point about the name was to sort of point towards their origins you know? plus the Iron Skull insignia on their shoulder guards work out with the name anyways. ill tone down the amount of marines too. i wanted them to have at least a little more you know just as a sort of buffer but i think i went way over so ill take that out. umm bit of question could imperial guard regiments be working within their system too to help bulwark the planets? im pretty sure of the answer i just want a second opinion. so here's the new shiz:

their geneseed is a mix between the imperial fists and the iron warriors. they are masters at seige and defence and rival even the great imperial fists if not surpassing them. their home planet is Troy the fourth planet in the Trojan system near the Eye of Terror. they were originally created to become the supreme masters at seige and defence, even better then the imperial fists, and seeing as how their home system is so close to the eye each planet has a mighty fortress monastary that is held by a company. there are ten grand companies numbers 1-5 are stationed at the fortress monastary on the planet Troy. the fortress, called The Wall, is built into a mighty mountain range and is the base of operations for the Iron Skulls. companies six-10 are each stationed at a seperate planet. the first three planets are uninhabitable. the fifth planet, an agri world called Diona, has the sixth company stationed on it. the sixth, a mining world called Tartarus, has the seventh company defending it. the seventh planet, another mining world called Styx, has the eighth company defending it. the eighth planet, an icy wasteland called Perseph, is defended by the ninth company. and the last planet in the system, a volcanic rock called Hadesa, is defended by the tenth company. the system is also defended by various imperial guard regiments that are stationed at different places around the system. each company has its own armored, scout, tacticle, heavy, air and veteran units. each is led by a captain who has a seat in what is called The Council. the Iron Skulls do have a marine that takes the title of chapter master and he is the captain of the first company, he functions exactly like one should, as the commander of the chapter. however when The Council does meet he is and equal among the other captains. The Council functions much like the wolf lords of fenris in that they meet to discuss the future and state of the chapter. their main purpose is to elect new captains when previous ones die, i.e. they function like fulgrim's brotherhood of the phoenix. they are masters at seige and defence and every planet they have defended from chaos has yet to fallen and every one they have laid seige to has fallen before them. no more than six great companies are gone at a time, the other four spread throughout the system's defences.

and im going to stick with the red heads if i havent already stated this.

Last edited by BlackApostleVilhelm; 07-10-08 at 06:53 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode