A new chapter in 40k on the horizon? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-13-13, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Default A new chapter in 40k on the horizon?

Calling all you fluff veterans!

Before we continue, I am far from a fluff expert - Hell, I read the wiki from time to time, when I see a interesting thing I want to know more on, so the majority of my knowledge comes from there and this forum.

I had a chat the other day with a friend of mine, and I would like all of your input on it. We were discussing the current setting, the Horus Heresy and what we theorized was in the cards for the future.

Now, as I understand it the 13th Black Crusade (which Abaddon has started) is prophesized to be the final and successful one. The Black Crusade to finish what Horus started. Simultaneously, more and more Loyalist Primarchs are being "ressurrected" (as in, not confirmed dead) via newer stories and codexes, with Sanguinius and Manus being the only ones being 110% confirmed dead. It is also speculated that Cypher is returning via a datasheet on the 25th of December, where he should be closing in on Terra.

All of this lead us to believe, that a major chapter is about to end in Warhammer 40k. The end of an era, where the 13th Black Crusade is being built up to be a clash similarly epic in scope to The Horus Heresy. A prophecy coming to reality concerning The End-times, the return of the Primarchs and, possibly, the birth of the Starchild. A story that would redefine the chapters, traitor legions and the setting of Emperium and Chaos. A story where the story of Horus and his legacy, might come to a close.

We theorized that some chapters would be killed off completely, similarly to some Legions. That the alliances of characters and chapters/legions would be thrown up for grabs once again and a major revamp of the entire 40k setting would be done.

Now I ask you all; What are your thoughts on this? Do you think it will happen, and if so, which sides do you think will switch? What do you believe will be the outcome of such a chapter closing? I am very eager to hear the thoughts of the experts on this, as I believe more and more that a 3rd chapters is about to start.

Last edited by Nordicus; 12-13-13 at 10:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-13-13, 11:43 AM
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

Hrm, ive hard to see how they could get away with this. Without a frothing, raging lynchmob of people peeved that their superbly painted expensive models are no longer valid.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-13-13, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Herald of The Warp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Lucian View Post
Hrm, ive hard to see how they could get away with this. Without a frothing, raging lynchmob of people peeved that their superbly painted expensive models are no longer valid.
Well, they did something similar in Warhammer Fantasy, considering that the Undead faction got split in 2 (Vampire Counts and Tomb Kings) and they did away with Chaos Dwarves all together. So the idea in itself isn't totally unfeasible.

Last edited by Nordicus; 12-13-13 at 11:54 AM.

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-13-13, 02:18 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

I am Tawa, of the internets. Quail before my NERDRAGE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-13-13, 02:43 PM

So you're thinking Warhammer 50k?

IMO.
Chaos won, the Black crusade was successful.
Slaanesh found the Eldar. Ynnead, the God of buffering fought and defeated slaanesh - they then both ceased to exist. The Laughing God laughed and took his mask off - revealing he was the deciever all along.
The imperium is reduced to burning cinders, fragmented and corrupted. The Primarchs returned and were defeated. The Starchild was born - this turned out to be the deciever *again*. The Grey Knight 'do not open unless its the end of days' box was opened. In it was a note from a mr d.eciever which read *snerk*.
The tau survived until one of the larger races decided the tau were looking at them funny...
Its then a fight between Chaos, Orks, Necrons and Nids for possession of the galaxy.
Nids win. Then the necrons kick the celestial orrery over and break the galaxy.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-13-13, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
Well, they did something similar in Warhammer Fantasy, considering that the Undead faction got split in 2 (Vampire Counts and Tomb Kings) and they did away with Chaos Dwarves all together. So the idea in itself isn't totally unfeasible.
Yeah....but that was in their early years, wasn't it around 3 edition.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-13-13, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Herald of The Warp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret79 View Post
So you're thinking Warhammer 50k?
Not quite, but something along those lines.

The thoughts was that the next edition (or perhaps 8th) would be just after the 13th Black Crusade. It seems like everything currently is leading up to this giant confrontation, that is a huge deal in the history of the Emperium and the Chaos forces.

Now this isn't a thread persay on who wins and what happens at the end of the story, more what the next chapter is. My questions are many, including if the 13th crusade does not happen now, doesn't it seem a bit dragged out in the story of it all? Or has the current setting of 40k been at this brink for several editions?
@Lord of the Night @Child-of-the-Emperor What are your thoughts on this? Do you find it possible that they would escalate the setting to this, and if so, what would your predictions be to the changes that would happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by locustgate View Post
Yeah....but that was in their early years, wasn't it around 3 edition.
I think so. However, the point still stands that GW are willing to shift the gears of popular armies if the setting fits it.

Last edited by Nordicus; 12-13-13 at 05:17 PM.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-13-13, 06:59 PM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

Quote:
The thoughts was that the next edition (or perhaps 8th) would be just after the 13th Black Crusade. It seems like everything currently is leading up to this giant confrontation, that is a huge deal in the history of the Emperium and the Chaos forces.

*Snip*

I think so. However, the point still stands that GW are willing to shift the gears of popular armies if the setting fits it.
The 13th Black Crusade has already been, there was a global campaign about it a few years back where the results dictated the outcome. The Imperium held... barely. Half of Cadia is in flames and Chaos has managed to get a beach head outside the eye. Now they may have back tracked a bit but that was my understanding.

GW also used to give you free models in WD and print paper templates in WD so you could scratch build your own tanks. That doesn't mean they will now.
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-13-13, 07:15 PM
Deathwing Commissar

Phoebus's Flag is: USA

Like Jacobite said, they held a global campaign. The current meta-plot more or less ignores those results, and sticks with the theme of 999.M41 being the minute before humanity's midnight, the eve right before the Imperium's final defeat begins.

Could Games Workshop advance the timeline beyond the "Abaddon launches the Thirteenth Black Crusade" date? Sure. Will they? Honestly, I doubt it. I think it comes down to whether their business with 40k-era models starts failing, and/or if supplemental ventures like Heresy-era models don't get the job done. I don't think there are any solid indicators of this happening, though. Not unless you consider the more aggressive/victorious depiction of Abaddon's position in the latest Codex: Chaos Space Marines as such.

Incidentally, about Cypher's data slate and his supposed location? Remember, Cypher was a big part of the Thirteenth Black Crusade. He seems to have been the "objective" for the Dark Angels, and was certainly present in the areas around the Cadian Sector (in the Agripinaa Sector, in fact) in the time of the buildup for the Thirteenth Black Crusade.

As such, any information pointing to him being near Terra would almost have to be a rumor - unless the folks at GW are simply rewriting his involvement in the Thirteenth Black Crusade. Otherwise, what exactly did he do in Terra before making his way back to Agripinaa and Caliban in record time? Use the Lion Sword to cause the irreparable failures to the Golden Throne that are referenced in the timeline section of the core rulebook?

Last edited by Phoebus; 12-17-13 at 01:21 PM.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-13-13, 08:22 PM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
@Child-of-the-Emperor What are your thoughts on this? Do you find it possible that they would escalate the setting to this, and if so, what would your predictions be to the changes that would happen?
Honestly? No. Nothing will change. And I don't want it to. Also:

1. The 13th Black Crusade has been part of the lore of years, and as others have said, despite moving the setting forward ever so slightly in the worldwide Eye of Terror Campaign, they have now seemingly backtracked and moved back to the immediately pre-13th Crusade era.
2. There has been no new revelations concerning the loyalist Primarchs - no Primarchs have been "resurrected" (as in, not confirmed dead) at all.
3. There will be no new major revelations concerning Cypher if/when his data-slate is released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode