Macharius- Greatest military mind in imperial history - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-13, 03:22 AM Thread Starter

Default Macharius- Greatest military mind in imperial history

only second to Emperor...his tactical/strategic acumen, military mind.. is unparalleled

i would say he even succeeded Horus and The Lion (both are considered the top two generals of the primarchs)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-13, 03:27 AM

Ddraig Cymry's Flag is: USA

True, Macharius is indeed a god amongst the Imperial Guard. Basically, Alexander the Great in space. However, I'm not sure about him being better than Horus or Lion, they both are primarchs after all, but who knows, maybe if he were alive Abaddon would be getting his ass kicked on Cadia.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-13, 05:43 AM Thread Starter

although imho...i think the lion had the greatest tactical mind of the primarchs, most would agree with me? even more so then Horus

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-13, 03:20 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

I wouldn't mind seeing a few games of Regicide between the Lion, Horus, Macharius and the Big E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-13, 05:01 PM
Apathetic Megalomaniac

Geist's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddraig Cymry View Post
True, Macharius is indeed a god amongst the Imperial Guard. Basically, Alexander the Great in space. However, I'm not sure about him being better than Horus or Lion, they both are primarchs after all, but who knows, maybe if he were alive Abaddon would be getting his ass kicked on Cadia.
Consider the following, the Lion and Horus were considered the greatest tactical minds of the Great Crusade, but they also had the might of the Great Crusade Imperium behind them. That means Space Marine Legions of hundreds of thousands, a united Imperial Army(which includes a combined Navy/Guard), and a far greater tech level, and it still took hundreds of years to complete the Great Crusade. Macharius, using mainly imperial guard and a few space marine chapters, conquered a thousand worlds in 7 years.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-13, 05:26 PM

@Geist you have to also consider though that it was just after age of strife (?) So everything was quite bad everywhere they dint have solid empire behind them just a handful of planets. also it was a whole dam galaxy and I'm sure there way more planets in it then a thousand. Also as you said the tech was more advanced so the enemies they were facing had somewhat equal tech or better. Also as you see aftet his death those world fell to instability but during the great crusade they were not only conquering but expanding the empire, building and expanding the new infrastructure.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-13, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geist View Post
Consider the following, the Lion and Horus were considered the greatest tactical minds of the Great Crusade, but they also had the might of the Great Crusade Imperium behind them. That means Space Marine Legions of hundreds of thousands, a united Imperial Army(which includes a combined Navy/Guard), and a far greater tech level,
The power at their disposal shouldn't matter in a debate about tactics and strategy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormxlr View Post
Also as you see aftet his death those world fell to instability but during the great crusade they were not only conquering but expanding the empire, building and expanding the new infrastructure.
This is also a really good point. The Primarchs built an empire of millions of worlds, Macharius didn't actually achieve anything of lasting significance. Surely that must speak to his strategic ability to pacify conquered worlds.

"Look into my eyes, and see your death."
"Let them hate, so long as they fear."
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-13, 11:02 PM
Apathetic Megalomaniac

Geist's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEQinc View Post
The power at their disposal shouldn't matter in a debate about tactics and strategy.
And there are hardly any details on those tactics and what strategies they used, so the resources they had at their disposal and the end result is all we really have.

Quote:
This is also a really good point. The Primarchs built an empire of millions of worlds, Macharius didn't actually achieve anything of lasting significance. Surely that must speak to his strategic ability to pacify conquered worlds.
That wasn't his job. His job was to conquer, it was the "missionaries and Inquisitorial teams that followed those conquests that were supposed to do the job of turning those planets into loyal parts of the imperium.

Same for the Primarchs, they conquered, but for the most part it was the Imperial Army and the Orators who's job it was to maintain those conquests.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-13, 12:16 AM

emporershand89's Flag is: USA

Location: New England.....somewhere in that mess of awesomness!!

A God amongst Men yes, a Brave Warrior and Philosopher, and Warhammer 40k own verzion of Sun Tzu. Better than Horus or the Emporer??? I don't think so, his ambition and charisma is what made him great; the tactics were brutal and exacted a heavy toll on his men.

I would almost go to the extent to say that Macharius, while great, is on the lower end of the totem pole when compared to other Heroes and Villains of the Imperium.

"Walk Softely, and Carry a Big Gun!"
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-13, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geist View Post
That wasn't his job. His job was to conquer, it was the "missionaries and Inquisitorial teams that followed those conquests that were supposed to do the job of turning those planets into loyal parts of the imperium.

Same for the Primarchs, they conquered, but for the most part it was the Imperial Army and the Orators who's job it was to maintain those conquests.
Surely it is the duty of a conqueror to hold the worlds he takes? Otherwise he's just a raider with pretensions of greatness. It isn't solely the province of others to make the world loyal, how the conqueror goes about taking the world has an overwhelming impact on how the world feels about becoming Imperial. It determines how open they are to the work of the missionaries. The worlds taken by the Primarchs for the most part were willing to listen to the iterators, because of the strategies used to take those worlds. The worlds Macharius took uniformly rejected Imperial rule, clearly that reflects badly on how he took them.

"Look into my eyes, and see your death."
"Let them hate, so long as they fear."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode