but how much more powerful were primarchs to a SM - Page 5 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-15-13, 08:19 AM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

My pleasure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-15-13, 08:34 AM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

In fact. I enjoyed that so much, It's going in my sig.
post #43 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-29-14, 06:08 AM

Gonna have to go with Chompy Bits! Back to the topic I'd say The Primarchs were extremely tough, not invincible but def taking down scores of SM before getting injured and even then with there natural healing abilities able to keep on fighting, maybe even 100+ during Istavan but that hasn't been verified

post #44 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-14-14, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperorguard500 View Post
i thought lorgar was one of the weakest of the primarchs in terms of fighting ability?

was he a powerful psyker? on magnus level?
Not on Magnus's level, no, but still seemingly far more so than the rest of his brothers. In Aurelian, Lorgar defeats An'ggrath the Unbound in single combat, and he was the most powerful Bloodthirster ever to materialise into reality. Also, in Betrayer, Lorgar's thoughts drift into relishing the next time he encounters Corax: "He [Lorgar] even, in his less humble moments, hungered to face Corax again. Things wouldn't play out so perfectly in the Raven Lord's favour next time - of that, Lorgar was sure." *ominous dirge*
post #45 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-12-14, 05:14 PM

Warlock in Training's Flag is: USA

There is many feats in the books of the strength of Primarchs and their durability.

Fulgrim physically choked a Avatar of Khain to death. This means his Skin is durable enough to withstand Lava heats, and strong enough to choke a statue lol.
Lion El Jhonson and Luther battling cause the castle like fort they were on to crumble in large pieces from the aftershocks of their blows.
Vulcan I beleive cause a minor earth quake pounding the ground.
Angron survived a mountain falling on him, and then dug through the quoted 1000s of tons with little effort.
When Fulgrim fought Manus in their first battle, Manus took a Thunder Hammer to the head, only for a slight KO.
Horus had a space ship fall, and pierce his chest. Yet he through it off him, and healed right up.

In short..... Primarchs feats in books put them LEAGUES ahead of Marine, and even superior to most Daemon Princes. They are more akin to powerful Greater Deamons than anything.
post #46 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-16-14, 01:34 PM

According to my experience, Primarch power level varies greatly. Namely, it depends on factors such as author, book, situation, and simple entertainment.

For example, most of the Primarchs almost casually massacre whole squads of Space Marines at once, but our 'Avenging Son' almost get killed by an Alpha Legion hit squadㅡeven if he is completely unarmed and defenceless, I think it is a little absurd, especially when compared to the Night Haunter, who take a active role in the same novel. In the previous HH series, Primarchs are portrayed consistently virtually impervious to 'mere' boltershall variants and withstand a direct hit by tank guns and aerial bombardments without a scratch.

Another great example of elastic power level of Primarchs is the Lord of Raven. In the previous novels(such as 'The First Heretic' and several of short stories) Corvus Corax not only slaughtered whole army of Gal Vorbak and annihilated most of them but also rip apart Predator tanks and endured all of the punishments.
Whereas in novella Corax: Soulforge, he almost get killed by 3 Defiler(if there is no air support, he would certainly have died) and struggled with a mere mutated Chaos sorcerer, and he was not even particularly powerful or renowned one.

If there is any solid consistency in Primarch power level, it is that even if Primarchs in their weakest state, he could slay full-blown veteran Astartes like they are 5 year old child. Then again, there is exceptions like Kor Phaeron, 13th Primarch again almost get killed by a mere half-Astartes, and only through exploiting Master of Faith's chronic hubris Roboute could defeat himㅡand at the same time, Leman Russ was practically inviolable almost all of the Warp magick except ones wielded by his brother equal and future nemesis, the Crimson King.

Last edited by Ecumene; 04-16-14 at 01:41 PM.
post #47 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-17-14, 01:58 AM

Alsojames's Flag is: Canada

It may have been awhile since I've read the books, but I'm pretty sure a primarch took down a titan at one time.

A single Space Marine could never hope to do that, unless he was monumentally lucky with his Lascannon.

Another brought down an Avatar by himself. Also an incredible feat.

For the life of me I can't remember the names.

Necrons W3 T0 L1

Death Korps W1 T0 L1

Dark Elves W0 T0 L0
post #48 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-17-14, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsojames View Post
It may have been awhile since I've read the books, but I'm pretty sure a primarch took down a titan at one time.

A single Space Marine could never hope to do that, unless he was monumentally lucky with his Lascannon.

In fact, Red Cyclops successfully crushed utterly an Eldar Titan using his sheer psychic might, which is much bigger than standard Imperial Warlord, though it costed his stamina greatly.

Also, if I remember correctly, Lorgar and Angron destroyed a Ultramarine Warhound Titan together. Lorgar took consecutive point-blank range hit by Titan plasma blastgun and survived(though badly mauled, he managed to stand on his feet), while Angron held on Warhound's whole weight-which is 410 tonnes-alone, and then Lorgar throw huge rock through telekinesis which overloaded Titan's void shield generator, thus destroyed it inversely.
post #49 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-18-14, 03:37 AM

Warlock in Training's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsojames View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecumene View Post
In fact, Red Cyclops successfully crushed utterly an Eldar Titan using his sheer psychic might, which is much bigger than standard Imperial Warlord, though it costed his stamina greatly.

Also, if I remember correctly, Lorgar and Angron destroyed a Ultramarine Warhound Titan together. Lorgar took consecutive point-blank range hit by Titan plasma blastgun and survived(though badly mauled, he managed to stand on his feet), while Angron held on Warhound's whole weight-which is 410 tonnes-alone, and then Lorgar throw huge rock through telekinesis which overloaded Titan's void shield generator, thus destroyed it inversely.
What he said, also it was Fulgrim who choked to death a AoK lol, how is even possible
post #50 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-18-14, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock in Training View Post
What he said, also it was Fulgrim who choked to death a AoK lol, how is even possible
And you have omitted the Primarch's hand bones are harder than Wraithbone(though his hand bled during the breaking process)! Oh, poor, poor Khiraen Goldhelm.
A mysterious thing is, as far as I know, Avatars do not need to breathe.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode