No Stock for the bolters?? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-15-13, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

Default No Stock for the bolters??

I knew there wasn't one, but it has been kind of eating away at me lately as to why the Bolters don't have stocks.

Is there any GW source that says they don't need one? I spend enough time shooting for recreational purposes to have a general grasp of fire arms, and I couldn't fathom shooting an automatic weapon without a stock. Well there is always hip firing, but how is that remotely accurate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-15-13, 06:16 AM

Rotgrim's Flag is: USA

It's rather funny but I understand SM s not needing them do to all the gene seed superhuman blah blah blah. At the same time why would a space ork shoota need a stock ? Idk but I'm sure it's only for style and or a blunt weapon handle if need be.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-15-13, 06:21 AM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

If I remember correctly the second edition weapons compendium stated that bolters don't produce any kick so for that reason a stock isn't needed. In addition the bolters sight's link up to the HUD in the Space Marines helmet thus meaning they don't need to shoulder the weapon to get an accurate shot. Another interesting thing is apparently they fire caseless ammo so they don't technically need an ejection port but the rule of cool over rides that.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-15-13, 08:24 AM
Deathwing Commissar

Phoebus's Flag is: USA

Jacobite hit all the major points. The only thing I'd add is that, even if there was significant recoil (and some sources, primary literary ones, state that there is), a Space Marine's natural strength alone - never mind when augmented by power armour - would be enough to compensate for it. Beyond that, as Jacobite already stated, any benefit a stock would provide in terms of aiming (besides eliminating recoil) are trumped by the sync between a Space Marine's auto-senses and his weapon.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-15-13, 01:30 PM

Not to throw a grenade in the gears, BUT...normal humans do use bolters and in the 5th ed it said that if humans used a SM bolter it would break every bone in that arm, shoulder, and ribs, unless they had a augmented arm. There have also been reference in several BL books that humans can't fire a SM bolter and even when they fire a non SM bolter the kick is pretty high.

Last edited by locustgate; 11-15-13 at 01:35 PM.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-15-13, 01:30 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebus View Post
a Space Marine's natural strength alone - never mind when augmented by power armour - would be enough to compensate for it
Doesn't the occasional Guardsman use it? Or is that something I've just seen on the table top..

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-15-13, 01:53 PM

SoL Berzerker's Flag is: USA

If I'm not mistaken only the Sisters of Battle use Boltguns outside of the Astartes. Guard use bolt pistols but never boltguns.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-15-13, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoL Berzerker View Post
boltguns.

Sigh and once again I get ignored.

Begs to differ.
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/ca...Id=prod1900033
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/ca...dId=prod40004a

That's not even mentioning BL books.
Fire Caste, Space Marine (albeit as old as sin) tech gang was using bolters, Imperial Guard Omnibus 1, Hammer of the Emperor(IG Omnibus 2)

EDIT: Ok from now on I'm making all my words orange.

Last edited by locustgate; 11-15-13 at 02:04 PM.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-15-13, 02:07 PM

Straken's_Fist's Flag is: South Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
Doesn't the occasional Guardsman use it? Or is that something I've just seen on the table top..
Good point. I still have those 2nd edition possibly Rogue Trader IG sergeants that had bolters as standard.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-15-13, 02:10 PM

Straken's_Fist's Flag is: South Georgia

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTQ5MlgxNDMy/z/HC4AAMXQbjxRBXov/$T2eC16RHJG!E9nm3qWDNBRB(ouG5yw~~60_35.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Warhammer-Imperial-Guard-officer-w-Heavy-bolter-makes-great-Sgt-Harker-metal-/00/s/MTE1MlgxNTM2/z/q04AAOxy~ilSSPGK/$(KGrHqF,!qcFJDEs9N2zBSSPGKI+r!~~60_35.JPG

(I use this one as Marbo, have just replaced bolter with assaasins pistol, and green stuffed it)

These ones. 2nd edition.

Thought this has probably been retconned...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode