The Emperor. A perpetual (vulkan lives spoilers) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-13, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

stooge92's Flag is: Australia

Default The Emperor. A perpetual (vulkan lives spoilers)

--- Vulkan lives spoilers below ---

So when john gram is discussing Vulkan's immortality, he name-drops the emperor, another perpetual.

What i was wondering, is whether it was already assumed knowledge that he was a perpetual, and not just god-like 'immortal'. I state them as different things because perpetuals can be physically killed, they just reanimate soon after (e.g. john and vulkan).

So if it is the case that the emperor is a perpetual deferring to the definition that if slain he can reanimate, i come to the following long winded assumptions

- if he knew he was going to die at the battle of terra, did he give up his chance at reanimation by being wired into the throne? was it so dire that he sit in it immediately to hold back chaos spilling through and light the astronomicon ? did he give up his chance at re animation to his full self
OR
is the wishy washy games workshop explanation that he is a "one time immortal", someone who doesn't come back, but via a technicality can be killed by "god weapons" or "god-like forces" (loop hole in immortality)

my reasoning/ideas are a bit convoluted, i apologise. Just wanted some other people's thoughts on how labelling the emperor as a perpetual changes (if at all) his "status" as immortal, enough to warrant revised conclusions about his shitty gig on the throne for eternity (rather than re animating after a death)

End of ramblings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-13, 10:52 AM
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

Would be kinda sadly amusing if it turns out the Emperor did not order himself to be interred on the golden throne, but ended up there screaming for eternity and wishing for death that he might be reborn at last.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-13, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

stooge92's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Lucian View Post
Would be kinda sadly amusing if it turns out the Emperor did not order himself to be interred on the golden throne, but ended up there screaming for eternity and wishing for death that he might be reborn at last.
sadly i think its something GW will never end up explaining ... i mean, maybe the galaxy was ripping apart during the siege (highly likely, all the demon princes and demonhosts running about) and he HAD TO get into the chair straight away... robbing him of time to reincarnate

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-13, 11:04 AM

Location: In a cell for revealing sensitive information regarding the Inquisition

So, my two cents are this: one time the light from the Astoromican flickered and a load of ships were lost in the warp. So if it went out, even for a few minutes, the casualties would be astronomical. Plus, since Magnus broke the Webway, daemons are trying to pour into Terra and the only thing holding them back is The Emperor.

So, whilst the Emperor could, in theory die and then reanimate a few minutes later, in those few minutes, daemons would have swarmed Terra and the Emperor might never be able to reclaim it, probably every Imperial ship in the warp would be dead or dying. Then there may well be other things that the Emperor prevents happening that would happen causing more death and terror for the Imperium. So he can, but perhaps he feels the cost would be to high? Just my thoughts.

My contribution to the Renegades saga. Check it out

My growing IIIrd legion stuff:

17th Millenial (Homebrew Fluff) - "Children of the Emperor, death to his foes!" (Project Log)

Also my 30k tacticas, for those of you interested:

Crusade Army List tactica - Individual Legion tactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
And for two fucking grand, I could buy enough rum and hookers to 'artistically' recreate the better part of Pirates of the Caribbean.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-13, 11:57 AM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

It's stated in various books that all perpetuals are different. Some will reanimate themselves, some need it done for them. Some will live forever if nothing kills them, others just can't be killed at all.

If he was going to reanimate, I'm sure the Emperor would have done so rather than be interred on the Golden Toilet, no matter the cost to whoever is in the warp. Because of this I'm leaning towards him being immortal, but killable.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-13, 12:49 PM

I agree that the emperor could no submitt to being allowed to die at the time of him sustaining his injuries from Horus
with the gods of Chaos acting the way they were it would of spelt doom for all of the loyalists and the imperium
I think that his a perpetual however and needs to be completely vanquished in order to respawn
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-13, 05:30 PM

SoL Berzerker's Flag is: USA

Also, the Emperor knew that Guilliman, The Lion, and Russ were on their way to Terra. So if he died in order to reanimate the three of them and their legions would have died in the warp. I would rule that as a greater loss to the Imperium than the Emperor being forced to stay on the Golden Throne.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-13, 05:33 PM
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

That made no sense. Also, the Emperor accepted Horus' gambit and teleported onto the Vengeful Spirit in order to end the Heresy as it looked hopeless. Horus did it because he knew he couldnt win without a drastic move before the reinforcements arrived, luring the Emperor on board before the loyalists knew about the incomming fleets.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-13, 02:27 PM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

I agree with Khorne's Fist. There is no strict definition of a 'perpetual'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Lucian View Post
That made no sense. Also, the Emperor accepted Horus' gambit and teleported onto the Vengeful Spirit in order to end the Heresy as it looked hopeless. Horus did it because he knew he couldnt win without a drastic move before the reinforcements arrived, luring the Emperor on board before the loyalists knew about the incomming fleets.
The Collected Visions actually states that the Emperor was aware of the en route Imperial reinforcements before he attacked the Vengeful Spirit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-13, 06:35 PM

I cannot dismiss the feeling that this whole perpetual/cabal backstory is going to end into some lore screw up of titanical proportions.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode