Black Templar Librarians - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-13, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Black Templar Librarians

I thought this alteration of lore would interest Black Templar fans, either as a good thing or a bad thing i'm not sure.

This text is from the section on Abhor the Witch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM Codex
Outsiders mistakenly interpret the lack of Librarians within the ranks of the Black Templars Chapter, and the fury with which its battle-brothers slay Chaos Sorcerers, as an intolerance of all psykers. This could hardly be further from the truth, for the Black Templars hold special reverence for Astropaths, seeing them as holy disciples who have actually communed with the Emperor. Navigators are similarly honoured, for their psychic blessing allows them to see the divine light of the Astronomican and guide the Black Templars through the Warp to deliver righteous retribution against the Emperorís enemies.
And finally this text explaining exactly why the Black Templars have no Librarians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM Codex
It is uncertain how, or when, the Black Templars ceased to field Librarians, for with their disappearance, much of the Chapterís history was also lost. Outsiders suggest that, as the Chapter came to worship the Emperor as a god, they took his decree at the Edict of Nikaea to disband their Librarius divisions as holy law. Others whisper that the Black Templarsí gene-seed has somehow deteriorated, or that their Librarians were slain during a great war in the Chapterís history. Some scholars point to the Black Templarsí final battle to end the Catelexis Heresy of M34, and the apocalyptic psychic death-screams that tore through the Warp after the slaying of the Cacodominus, as another possible explanation. Whatever the truth, the Black Templars have come to accept the loss of their Librarians as part of the Emperorís divine plan. If the Emperor decides to once again bless the Black Templars with Librarians, they will embrace it, but until that day, they will wage battle without these powerful warriors at their side.
So now it's not that the Black Templars hate all psykers equally, it's that they cannot field Librarians due to an unknown reason. Gene-seed degeneration?? Perhaps caused by the Cacodominus or that all of their Librarians were killed and none remain alive to train new psyker recruits. Or a possibility that it is still a willing choice on their part and that they do it because they believe the Emperor ordered it. An interesting change and one that I like because it makes the Black Templars seem less willfully foolish, despising psykers while at the same time lionizing the Emperor who was one. This way it may not be their choice, or they may view it as a holy command while still recognizing that the Emperor was a psyker and that they are critical to the Imperium's continued existence.

Thoughts?

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-13, 11:14 AM

As a BT player, I will be ignoring this part of the codex and reverting back to my usual 'hatred of witches because the Emperor decreed it at Nikea'. Whether they be astropaths, navigators or other 'sanctioned' psykers, they will still be shackled and confined to their quarters if they want to be in my crusade army!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-13, 11:56 AM

Black Templars worshipping the Emperor as a god? In the recent novella Blood and Fire, didn't Reclusiarch Grimaldus explicitly state that the Templars didn't see the Emperor as a god?

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-13, 12:52 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Haven't read it, so can't comment on that. But the Templars have always viewed the Emperor as a god.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-13, 12:53 PM

Ddraig Cymry's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthak View Post
Black Templars worshipping the Emperor as a god? In the recent novella Blood and Fire, didn't Reclusiarch Grimaldus explicitly state that the Templars didn't see the Emperor as a god?
Space Marines have a different relationship to The Emperor thatn normal people do. To mortals, he basically is a god, he was huge, made soldiers who could pacify entire systems in hours, and had magical (psyker) powers. To Space Marines, he was more of general/king, so it's common for Space Marines to not revere him as a 'god' but rather something similar to ancestor/spirit worship. I'm pretty sure that's about right, it's been forever since I've read on the gold old Emprah.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-13, 12:58 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddraig Cymry View Post
Space Marines have a different relationship to The Emperor thatn normal people do. To mortals, he basically is a god, he was huge, made soldiers who could pacify entire systems in hours, and had magical (psyker) powers. To Space Marines, he was more of general/king, so it's common for Space Marines to not revere him as a 'god' but rather something similar to ancestor/spirit worship. I'm pretty sure that's about right, it's been forever since I've read on the gold old Emprah.
Most Astartes don't view him as a God, just the most powerful man to have ever existed, but a man nonetheless. Some chapters however, do view him as a God, the Templars being the most significant of them I'd say.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-13, 01:04 PM
Bruva I am hit!

Protoss119's Flag is: USA

The more things change, the more things stay the same. My take on this development is that the Black Templars do not blindly hate all Psykers anymore, but this does not prevent them from seeing the Librarians of other chapters and Sanctioned Psykers and the like as dangerous witches and wielders of sorcerous powers. So this new development could still fit with the Black Templars' traditional hatred of the witch.

Homebrew stuff for your viewing pleasure:
The Stormhunters Fluff/Crunch - Updated 10/07/13
The Rust Legion Fluff - Updated 5/19/13
Firaeveus Carron Rules - Updated 12/9/10
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-13, 02:10 PM

iamtheeviltwin's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthak View Post
Probably another case of Black Library and the Codex writers not syncing. Here is the passage from the new Space Marine codex:

Quote:
Unlike other Chapters, who venerate the Emperor as their creator and the rightful ruler of the Imperium, the Black Templars believe him to be a divinity to whom they offer worship. All Space Marines are renowned for their fervent dedication, but the extremity of the Black Templars’ faith can only be described as fanatical. It is unknown when in the Chapter’s history the belief of the Emperor’s divinity began to take root or how such ardent faith could so totally grip the warriors of the Chapter. All that is known for sure is that for several millennia, the Black Templars have offered prayers and service to the Master of Mankind as a god and they see themselves as his chosen warriors, enforcing his divine will in a dark and troubled galaxy with the edge of a sword.

Games Workshop Ltd. Codex: Space Marines (Kindle Locations 2503-2508).

Servants of the Laughing God (Harlequin Themed Eldar Army)
First Eastern Mirage Corps (C:SM)
I am the Evil Project Log (All my work since restarting the hobby)
The Crusade of Morr (WFB Empire Battle Reports)
Dem Bones (Dice Rolling Program)
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-13, 03:25 PM

My guess for the black templar is they don't hate psykers for being psykers they just can't trust anyone other than the emperor with that kind of power.

The emperor wields it with wisdom. But other psykers get big heads and do nasty shit wouldn't surprise me if some black templars were victims of crazed delusions of grandeur psykers before they became astartes
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-13, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheeviltwin View Post
Probably another case of Black Library and the Codex writers not syncing. Here is the passage from the new Space Marine codex:
Indeed, I'd say it's a case of not syncing. Here's the text from Blood and Fire:

"The Lions nodded. I wondered how true that was, across the galaxy. The Emperor was immortal and mighty beyond reckoning. But he was no god. Mankind – in its blessed ignorance – worshipped him as one. Yet false gods cannot answer prayers. How tempting it must seem to those sects and societies far from Terra to seek other answers when pleading with the Emperor brings only silence."

The speaker is Grimaldus, and he is one of the highest ranking Chaplains in the Chapter.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode