Mind Scrubbing after the Heresy - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-13, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Over Two Meters Tall!'s Flag is: USA

Default Mind Scrubbing after the Heresy

So I finished Fear To Tread shortly after reading The Emperor's Gift that got me to thinking about Imperial techniques for dealing with Chaos taint. To my understanding, it's pretty much standard operating procedure in 40K for Space Marines and Grey Knights to get their minds scrubbed after dealing with a major chaos incursion. Granted, this doesn't seem to be the case for the Space Wolves after Armageddon, any of the Ragnar Blackmane books or possibly even The Battle of the Fang, but the space vikings seem to be extra immune to corruption and don't like the Inquisition, so what the hell.

In 30K, at only halfway through the HH, each loyalist chapter has been steeped in Chaos up to their eyeballs just to survive, with several going through chapter-defining changes... taking the Blood Angels for one, the Red Thirst/Black Rage bloomed into a chapter-wide malady that could take any member at any time, not just a one SM per campaign occurrence. Yes I know this was already present in every member of the chapter before FTT, but the events in the book specifically precepitate the Red Thirst/Black Rage into an ever-present just-behind-the-eyeballs issue for every BA all the time.

With the appreciation that the Grey Knights and Inquisition don't come into being until after the HH, do you think there are any consequences after the HH with the mass-exposure to Chaos received by the loyalist chapters? By the end of the Scouring, I imagine all of the loyalist Astares have had more exposure to Chaos than most GKs get in their entire 40K existence. If there weren't major issues with the exposure, then why the hell start the practice of mind-scrubbing the Astares?

The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you have to load, or if you have to unload, go to the White Zone. You'll love it... it's a way of life.

Nick Naylor: Cigarettes in space?
Jeff Megall: It's the final frontier, Nick.
Nick Naylor: But wouldn't they blow up in an all oxygen environment?
Jeff Megall: Probably. But it's an easy fix. One line of dialogue. 'Thank God we invented the... you know, whatever device.'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-13, 04:41 PM
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

Grey Knights does not get mindscrubbed, as they are trained to resist chaos. Ordinary SMs usually gets the naughty bits scrubbed from thier minds, as they are seen as a valuable resource unlike the endless amounts of disposable guardsmen. Not worth the time or investment to mindscrub.

Id hazard that First Founding Legions have more leeway about Mindscrubbing as they were present during the Horus Heresy and have a deep and dark history about it.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-13, 06:44 PM

actually guardsmen do get mind scrubbed sadly the process has a high fatality rate when used on them it seem to made for space marines maybe thats why

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-13, 07:36 PM

I don't know if mindscrubbing has been part of modern Space Marine lore.

It seems rather poorly conceived to take your most elite troops who live for hundreds of years, and then remove their advantage in experience.

If Marneus Calgar is supposed to be "one of the Imperium's greatest tacticians" and he treats the Codex like it's the War Bible, but the Codex is garbage, then how bad is everyone else?

True Scale Space Marines: An odyssey in posing, tall scaling and other madness.

The Brief and Humorous History of the Horus Heresy
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-13, 07:38 PM

Secrecy of the grey knights seems to overrride what ever common sense dictates a bit i hate about the fluff plus chaos knows who they are any way so that secrecy is redundant
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-13, 08:12 PM
Bruva I am hit!

Protoss119's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran Sergeant View Post
I don't know if mindscrubbing has been part of modern Space Marine lore.

It seems rather poorly conceived to take your most elite troops who live for hundreds of years, and then remove their advantage in experience.
There are things in the galaxy that can break even the mind of a Space Marine. It is an option for Deathwatch marines in Rites of Battle; it removes the memory of a particularly traumatic experience, but remains merely that: an option.

Homebrew stuff for your viewing pleasure:
The Stormhunters Fluff/Crunch - Updated 10/07/13
The Rust Legion Fluff - Updated 5/19/13
Firaeveus Carron Rules - Updated 12/9/10
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-13, 12:25 PM

My understanding was that Marines weren't mind-scrubbed for dealing with Chaos...they're mind-scrubbed for dealing with the GKs.

"In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war, an eternity of slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods. I'm telling you man, this is a really shitty time to be alive." -Primarch Stan Wolkowski, Sons of Stan
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-13, 01:35 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

We've seen several SMs spend prolonged periods of time in the Eye of Terror (McNeill's UM novels and the BA comic strip) and carry chaos tainted weapons (Grimnar) without being mind scrubbed, so it's definitely not a common practice amongst SM chapters.

There has been many mentions of Guardsmen seconded to =I= duties being mind scrubbed after coming into contact with Chaos, and there may have been times when SMs were involuntarily subjected to it after dealing with certain factions within the =I=. But I think it was more to do with what they saw of the Inquisition rather than what they saw of anything Chaos or xenos related.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-13, 02:08 PM

Creon's Flag is: USA

The grey knights have scrubbed SM if I recall my Grey Knight fluff. It's been a while, but they are the only ones not killed for seeing Grey Knights in action, they're voluntarily mind scrubbed.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-13, 02:46 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creon View Post
they're voluntarily mind scrubbed.
I doubt there's anything "voluntary" about it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode