Who wins the Long Game? - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-16-13, 01:41 PM
Herald of The Warp
 
Nordicus's Avatar
Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Odense, Denmark
Posts: 2,752
Reputation: 143
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain-Grimaldus View Post
Who wins? GW stock holders become so rich due to endless price increases they are re Bourne as a god in the warp and defeat chaos through legal means.
The bitterness in this one is strong. It is weekend soon young padiwan, cleanse yourself of such hateful words :D
Nordicus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-16-13, 02:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Chaplain-Grimaldus's Avatar
Chaplain-Grimaldus's Flag is: England
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Segmentum Solar
Posts: 688
Reputation: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
The bitterness in this one is strong. It is weekend soon young padiwan, cleanse yourself of such hateful words :D
Yeah been a hard week lol.

On topic, I think Abaddon eventually gets through to terra. It's prophesied.

All the Phoenix lords will die, Dante will have a show down with Abby at the foot of the golden throne.

All die in a horrifying inferno. Then somewhere, someone, starts it all again.

W-L-D
Dark Angels 5th Coy 1.5k - 0-0-0
Vampire Counts 1k - 1-1-0
Chaplain-Grimaldus is offline  
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-16-13, 04:13 PM
Senior Member
 
MEQinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,212
Reputation: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
The Chaos Gods don't care enough though to make that kind of direct assault. Which means it's up to their servants and mortal followers, warriors and slaves who CAN be defeated. The Chaos Gods' power is only as strong as the flow of emotion allows.
1) The last time someone threatened Chaos, what did they do? Steal his sons, destroy everything he built, effectively kill him and remake his Empire in their image. If Chaos feels threatened, they will intervene.
2) As you say, the Gods don't care much about the material realm. Thus, can any defeat there be considered as 'loss' for them? If it isn't important to them, then it isn't a loss to loose it.

Quote:
The argument here seems to be that the gods themselves need to be killed for them to not count as contenders. This isn't the case. As you said, the c'tan can be breached and scattered, this doesn't necessarily mean they're dead but it does place them in a position where they cannot affect the scales to anywhere near the same degree as if they were still in necrodermis shell. Do you see?
But can the Gods be compromised to a similar degree? A C'tan without its necrodermis is almost completely powerless, a God without lots of emotion is simply hungry. Is a hungry foe a defeated one? A starving animal is at its most dangerous.

Quote:
By lasting victory, I mean holding the lion's share of the galaxy at large. For Chaos, this would mean their servants have the biggest holdings, perpetuating war death and whatever else the gods want on a galactic scale.
I think it's a mistake to conflate the Gods and their followers in this case. The followers of Chaos are obviously fairly concerned with the material realm, and their fate is directly tied to it. I would call a victory for the mortal forces of Chaos unlikely. However, the Gods themselves don't need their followers to win. It doesn't matter one lick to them who is perpetuating war, etc. Khorne cares not from whence the blood flows and all that. It's the same mistake that leads to people calling the Horus Heresy a loss for Chaos, when it clearly wasn't.

Quote:
You're arguing the gods cannot be killed makes them automatic winners, but keep in mind that they held very little sway in the time before the War in Heaven and for a long time after. Such a time could easily arise again under the right circumstances.
But is that a loss? The Chaos Gods have repeatedly shown themselves to be more interested in their own War than in the fate of the material realm. Does limiting their influence on the material realm (and for the record we don't really know how limited their influence was in the periods you mention) actually reduce their power? We don't know. Arguably it can't, since they are independent of time. Besides which: Everything else in the race can die. Given sufficient time everything that can die will. Therefore given sufficient time the Chaos Gods will be the only player left standing. If everyone else is dead, haven't they lost? If everyone else has lost, haven't you won?

"Look into my eyes, and see your death."
"Let them hate, so long as they fear."
MEQinc is offline  
 
post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-16-13, 04:42 PM
Senior Member
 
son of azurman's Avatar
son of azurman's Flag is: Scotland
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: the webway,scotland gate
Posts: 657
Reputation: 4
Default

The way I see it is chaos defeats man.man being cause for the gods minus Spanish means chaos is practically out.tyranids consume all organic matter and move on.necrons being the last ones alive simply go back into slumber.
This theory has lots of errors in it but this was how I was tought it 4 years ago skive just kept by it for the most part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
If an immovable object is struck by an unstoppable force, how many potatoes will fit in the jelly mould?
Renegades 9:flesh is weak
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=122389

Eldrad Ulthran:
"He who sees his own doom can better avoid its path. He who sees the doom of others can deliver it."

inquisitor czevak:
"Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers, all of which are true and terrifying to know."
son of azurman is offline  
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-17-13, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Feed
 
Serpion5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Space
Posts: 10,976
Reputation: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEQinc View Post
But is that a loss? The Chaos Gods have repeatedly shown themselves to be more interested in their own War than in the fate of the material realm. Does limiting their influence on the material realm (and for the record we don't really know how limited their influence was in the periods you mention) actually reduce their power?
We know that the Chaos Gods were linked to the current turbulence in the warp, as their power is dependent on the flow of emotion. The Warp was described as calm during the Old Ones' reign, and for a time when Mankind was expanding his empire through the stars. The main support for this is that they have zero mention during the War in Heaven and that Mankind was able to travel the warp relatively safely enough to colonize the galaxy.

Whether or not a period of calm actually reduces their power, it does seem to have an effect on how much they in turn influence the materium. I put forth that while their power is constant, their reach is directly tied to the flow of emotion at any given time period. For example, Slaanesh had little to zero reach in the time before his birth since the eldar were the first to practice hedonism on a large enough scale to make his power truly felt in the Materium. We have no direct references to anything much earlier than that, but I would presume the other gods felt similar limitations during their own first reaches into our universe.

My point being, if the source of their power is reduced (such as by an all consuming galactic predator or a race of genocidal alien machines) I believe such limitations could in time affect them again. Even if not completely, enough for someone else to gain the final advantage and take it will be all they need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEQinc View Post
Everything else in the race can die. Given sufficient time everything that can die will. Therefore given sufficient time the Chaos Gods will be the only player left standing. If everyone else is dead, haven't they lost? If everyone else has lost, haven't you won?
Warp Gods have died before. But that's irrelevant, as I said death is not required for a race to have lost. And you're assuming that the other races WILL die when you cannot confirm this. We have ONE example of a c'tan dying under extrenuous circumstances, an occurrence that had never happened before or since. Because of that do you then take it as a guarantee that all of them will eventually die as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEQinc View Post
I think it's a mistake to conflate the Gods and their followers in this case.
Well to be fair, the followers and daemons are who I was actually referring to and I said that a few times. You brought the gods into it.


Nonsense is our Salvation

Serpion5 is offline  
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-17-13, 06:19 PM
Senior Member
 
MEQinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,212
Reputation: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
Whether or not a period of calm actually reduces their power, it does seem to have an effect on how much they in turn influence the materium. I put forth that while their power is constant, their reach is directly tied to the flow of emotion at any given time period. For example, Slaanesh had little to zero reach in the time before his birth since the eldar were the first to practice hedonism on a large enough scale to make his power truly felt in the Materium. We have no direct references to anything much earlier than that, but I would presume the other gods felt similar limitations during their own first reaches into our universe.
That's a pretty solid theory, and one I agree with.

Quote:
My point being, if the source of their power is reduced (such as by an all consuming galactic predator or a race of genocidal alien machines) I believe such limitations could in time affect them again. Even if not completely, enough for someone else to gain the final advantage and take it will be all they need.
My question again would be: is that a loss? I don't think we can say that losing influence over the material realm is something that Chaos would be overly concerned with.

Quote:
Warp Gods have died before.
Indeed they have. But the Chaos Gods have not. The Eldar pantheon is a different beast from Chaos, what holds true for one does not necessarily hold true for the other.

Quote:
But that's irrelevant, as I said death is not required for a race to have lost.
It's not required but certainly death does equal a loss. I'm not denying that another faction could claim victory, possibly for a very long period of time but eventually they will all die.

Quote:
And you're assuming that the other races WILL die when you cannot confirm this. We have ONE example of a c'tan dying under extrenuous circumstances, an occurrence that had never happened before or since. Because of that do you then take it as a guarantee that all of them will eventually die as well?
It's simple physics, everything decays given enough time. Sure that time could be billions upon billions of years, but it will still happen. Given a sufficient period of time any act, however improbable, can be considered guaranteed. The death of the C'tan is highly improbable so clearly it will require a very long period of time to be considered guaranteed, but it will still happen.

Quote:
Well to be fair, the followers and daemons are who I was actually referring to and I said that a few times. You brought the gods into it.
Well to be fair, your OP just refers to Chaos and mentions both the Gods and their followers, which is at least a little ambiguous.

"Look into my eyes, and see your death."
"Let them hate, so long as they fear."
MEQinc is offline  
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-18-13, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Feed
 
Serpion5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Space
Posts: 10,976
Reputation: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEQinc View Post
It's simple physics, everything decays given enough time. Sure that time could be billions upon billions of years, but it will still happen. Given a sufficient period of time any act, however improbable, can be considered guaranteed. The death of the C'tan is highly improbable so clearly it will require a very long period of time to be considered guaranteed, but it will still happen.
How can you claim this as a certainty? The c'tan are cited as being tied to the very fabric of the universe and therefore nigh impossible to destroy. I could argue that their death won't occur until the universe itself finally collapses because there is no naturally occurring phenomenon capable of ending their existence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEQinc View Post
My question again would be: is that a loss? I don't think we can say that losing influence over the material realm is something that Chaos would be overly concerned with.
Well it certainly isn't a lasting victory over the materium is it?


Nonsense is our Salvation

Serpion5 is offline  
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-19-13, 03:19 AM
Senior Member
 
BlackGuard's Avatar
BlackGuard's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: In the shadows ...
Posts: 703
Reputation: 6
Default

Keep in mind that the Tyranids aren't here to stay. To my understanding, they have come from another galaxy, once that they've already scoured of all life. Even if they do destroy the Milky Way, they will simply move on.

So whomever survives their passing will be inheritors of the Galaxy. That may well mean the Chaos Legions, the Necrons, maybe even a few crafty Eldar and certainly the Dark Eldar. Humanity, Orks, and Tau may not be so fortunate.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman78 View Post
The chaos gods abandoned Horus most likely because they saw the can of whoop ass coming their way and wanted out of the way so as not to get fucked up!
BlackGuard is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome