Who wins the Long Game? - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-16-13, 02:36 AM

Rems's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
One c'tan, yes. A fluke that has not been repeated since and had a devastating consequence.
So they can actually be killed.

Not to mention they can be rendered impotent with a tesseract labrynth. The C'tan are defeatable; they're killable, shardable, controlable. The Ruinous Powers are not.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-16-13, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rems View Post
So they can actually be killed.
Debatable, since even the necrons do not understand how exactly it happened, it wasn't something they planned for. And even if anyone else could duplicate the kind of technology responsible for this occurrence, there is no guarantee it would ever happen again. So this really isn't a factor I would bank on.

Quote:
Not to mention they can be rendered impotent with a tesseract labrynth. The C'tan are defeatable; they're killable, shardable, controlable. The Ruinous Powers are not.
When you mention it this way, I almost forget about the trillions of necrons that were lost to achieve it, as well as the reality warping power they possess and the knowledge they imparted on the necrons, knowledge and tech which brought even the Old Ones to desparation and defeat.

I guess none of that matters, nor the fear that the necrons still hold strongly for them and the fact that they only use these beings when they have no other options.

I guess what my point is here, is that only ONE race has ever succeeded in outright defeating and controlling the c'tan. It is arguable whether they have the means to repeat this feat should such action ever be required again. Due to this, I consider them to be one of the highest long term threats in 40k. If enough of them were to break free of necron control (which we can assume is possible as it is stated in the lore) they could do all kinds of large scale damage.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-16-13, 07:41 AM

Rems's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
Debatable, since even the necrons do not understand how exactly it happened, it wasn't something they planned for. And even if anyone else could duplicate the kind of technology responsible for this occurrence, there is no guarantee it would ever happen again. So this really isn't a factor I would bank on.
And yet is is possible. The warp is an impossible realm where anything is possible. I'd wager a C'tan could be defeated or at least sufficiently weakened by some kind of warp based weapon.

Breaching a shard's necrodermis will 'scatter it to the galactic winds'. pg.40 of the Necron Codex. This may not mean they're destroyed though i believe it means they are but it certainly defeats them.

Quote:
When you mention it this way, I almost forget about the trillions of necrons that were lost to achieve it, as well as the reality warping power they possess and the knowledge they imparted on the necrons, knowledge and tech which brought even the Old Ones to desparation and defeat.

I guess none of that matters, nor the fear that the necrons still hold strongly for them and the fact that they only use these beings when they have no other options.
You mean millions of necrons. Page 7.

If the necrons 'only' lost millions to shatter and imprison the C'tan i'd wager the servants of chaos who number in the billions or trillions, not to mention the infinite number of daemons could eventually do it, especially with actual, inviolable gods on their side.

Quote:
I guess what my point is here, is that only ONE race has ever succeeded in outright defeating and controlling the c'tan. It is arguable whether they have the means to repeat this feat should such action ever be required again. Due to this, I consider them to be one of the highest long term threats in 40k. If enough of them were to break free of necron control (which we can assume is possible as it is stated in the lore) they could do all kinds of large scale damage.
True, the C'tan free would cause horrific damage. Would they be able to meaningfully defeat the Ruinous Powers though? I don't believe there's any mention of the Great Work in the new codex. The 4 are actual gods, immortal and very possibly omnipotent and omniscient or near enough not to matter. By virtue of being undefeatable surely they win by default?

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-16-13, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Feed

Quote:
And yet is is possible. The warp is an impossible realm where anything is possible. I'd wager a C'tan could be defeated or at least sufficiently weakened by some kind of warp based weapon.
The Talismans of Vaul couldn't defeat one c'tan when there were twelve aligned against it. Tech like that simply can't be built by anyone short of the necrons anymore, and even that is not confirmed.

Quote:
Breaching a shard's necrodermis will 'scatter it to the galactic winds'. pg.40 of the Necron Codex. This may not mean they're destroyed though i believe it means they are but it certainly defeats them.
Granted, though I doubt this "kills" them I will concede that it for the most part removes them from the equation.

Quote:
You mean millions of necrons. Page 7.
My mistake, I was thinking of the later entry.

Quote:
If the necrons 'only' lost millions to shatter and imprison the C'tan i'd wager the servants of chaos who number in the billions or trillions, not to mention the infinite number of daemons could eventually do it, especially with actual, inviolable gods on their side.
Short of the Chaos Gods literally stepping into the Materium to strike the killing blow to each and every c'tan shard to permanently destroy them, I simply cannot see this happening. The Chaos Marines and Daemons would have to work to breach every last necrodermis body to take the c'tan shards out of the fight.

Quote:
True, the C'tan free would cause horrific damage. Would they be able to meaningfully defeat the Ruinous Powers though? I don't believe there's any mention of the Great Work in the new codex. The 4 are actual gods, immortal and very possibly omnipotent and omniscient or near enough not to matter. By virtue of being undefeatable surely they win by default?
The Chaos Gods don't care enough though to make that kind of direct assault. Which means it's up to their servants and mortal followers, warriors and slaves who CAN be defeated. The Chaos Gods' power is only as strong as the flow of emotion allows.

The argument here seems to be that the gods themselves need to be killed for them to not count as contenders. This isn't the case. As you said, the c'tan can be breached and scattered, this doesn't necessarily mean they're dead but it does place them in a position where they cannot affect the scales to anywhere near the same degree as if they were still in necrodermis shell. Do you see?

By lasting victory, I mean holding the lion's share of the galaxy at large. For Chaos, this would mean their servants have the biggest holdings, perpetuating war death and whatever else the gods want on a galactic scale. There is still a chance that the necrons could amass enough forces to drive the Chaos Legions to breaking point, or the tyranids could overrun all life and starve the gods and therefore their servants of enough power to continue the fight.

You're arguing the gods cannot be killed makes them automatic winners, but keep in mind that they held very little sway in the time before the War in Heaven and for a long time after. Such a time could easily arise again under the right circumstances.

post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-16-13, 08:46 AM

CardShark's Flag is: USA

Here is my view on how GW would end it. Rhana Dandra will happen destroying the eldar and creating Ynnead who will defeat slaanesh. The eldar may or may not be reborn in the webway. This will deal a powerful blow to the forces of chaos who will still breach the cadian gate and reach Terra. Here I believe there are several options. The emperor could wake up and help in the fight against chaos. The remaining primarchs will show up on terra as well and do battle! The spezmehreens will defeat the forces of chaos and the emperor may or may not be defeated during the fight (if he even wakes up) lets face it GW would make the marines win and if we are not counting GW's opinion I believe realistically they would win even though they are not even in my top 5 for favorite armies I just believe they would pull it off (end of random marine rant). The orks being to numerous to kill would have their numbers controlled (Thrakka would probably be defeated by Yarrick). The tyranid fleets would be crippled and some random splinters would still exist to harass space ships and what not. I believe the tau wouldn't be whipped out. I think it would be cool if farsight revealed that the ethreals were using some kind of pheromone to control the tau and then led the tau in a revolution against them and maybe join the emperor (not even sure how I feel about that, but these are just my thoughts). The necron situation I believe to be the trickiest. Are they just going to be killed off eventually? Will the silent king fight an epic battle with the Imperium and then lose and realize his time in this galaxy is over and take the remaining necrons and leave the galaxy? Will they hit the snooze button and go back to sleep? I can't really answer the necron situation myself. Oh and the other chaos gods will drastically lose power because man will again have a stronger than ever faith in the Emperor. Anyway those are my thoughts on tying up all the loose ends.

Apocalypse Eldar...aww yeah
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-16-13, 09:01 AM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Still not sure about the Necron threat that everyone talks about. I'm not big on the lore, but from what I've read the Necron are changing in nature at the moment.

They used to be the "Fuck it all, let's just cleanse this universe and reclaim it." but lately they're turning more and more into "We want to be made flesh again, how do we do that? We need it!".

If they continue down this path, I have the feeling that they will eventually be so desperate to become flesh that they will be their own demise. I believe that either they will achieve it and be devoured by the Tyranids, or they will spend every last Necron Warrior trying to and cause their own demise in the process because of desperation or carelessness.

Heck who knows - Maybe I'm reading too much into this. But with the above in mind, I still count both Chaos Daemons and Tyranids to be the two biggest forces to be reckoned with. I think it will be down to those two battling it out.

Last edited by Nordicus; 08-16-13 at 09:06 AM.
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-16-13, 09:26 AM

Apostle's Flag is: Ireland

The Imperium I think. or if the Chaos Legions united under their Primarchs again. If it happened that all of the Primarchs defeated or not from the Chaos legions are reborn after several thousand years years (or however many years they vanish for, I don't have the energy to make that accurate) Most Space Marine chapters believe in a resurrection or continued existene of their Primarch. But the Chaos primarchs have only a few truly dead members. The rest are immortal Daemon Princes. If Magnus, Lorgar, Mortarion, Angron and Alpharius/Omegon. Joined with Pertuarbo and Fulgrim would devastate the Imperium. (Of course this is only one situation that is unlikely to happen at the same time)
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-16-13, 09:39 AM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

Personally, I would write the Necrons off. Their utter reliance on the webway is too much of a handicap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-16-13, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child-of-the-Emperor View Post
Personally, I would write the Necrons off. Their utter reliance on the webway is too much of a handicap.
Possibly, but given the other technologies at their disposal (mainly the Null Field Matrices) I feel that they had enough of an equalising factor to at least be a contender.

post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-16-13, 12:33 PM

Chaplain-Grimaldus's Flag is: England

Who wins? GW stock holders become so rich due to endless price increases they are re Bourne as a god in the warp and defeat chaos through legal means.

W-L-D
Dark Angels 5th Coy 1.5k - 0-0-0
Vampire Counts 1k - 1-1-0

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode