Who wins the Long Game? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-13, 03:50 PM

Gromrir Silverblade's Flag is: United Kingdom

Will the four Gods continue to exist in their current state if all mortal (not Tyranid) life is extinguished from the galaxy?

It is said that the guttural sound of Dwarfs bellowing Grungni’s name is enough to make an Elf’s knees knock and a Goblin turn a sickly shade of yellow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-14-13, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
Feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEQinc View Post
The galaxy was nearly annihilated before and when the Necrons woke up the Chaos Gods were still here. They are immortal and eternal in the truest sense of those words. They exist beyond the bounds of time itself, they have always existed and always will, regardless of what the material realm is doing.
Granted, but if their pawns lose the battle for the Materium all of their immortality and such doesn't really mean much.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-14-13, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
Granted, but if their pawns lose the battle for the Materium all of their immortality and such doesn't really mean much.
Well it kinda does. I mean the topic is the Long Game and since the Chaos Gods can't loose they must eventually win, right? The Gods can't ever die, everything else in the contest can and probably will so all they have to do is wait.

"Look into my eyes, and see your death."
"Let them hate, so long as they fear."

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-14-13, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Well it kinda does. I mean the topic is the Long Game and since the Chaos Gods can't loose they must eventually win, right? The Gods can't ever die, everything else in the contest can and probably will so all they have to do is wait.
Why can't the chaos gods die? We've had examples of actual gods biting the dust (like most of the Eldar ones).
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-14-13, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthak View Post
Why can't the chaos gods die? We've had examples of actual gods biting the dust (like most of the Eldar ones).
Time doesn't exist in the warp. By definition the Chaos Gods have always existed and always will. They are the warp and the warp is them. The Eldar Gods are different in that they were created intentionally (or at the very least, they seem to have been) and might have corporeal forms but even they they aren't necessarily dead they've just been consumed by Slaanesh (the fatality of that basically depending on your views of the Eldar gods).

post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-14-13, 06:34 PM

Over Two Meters Tall!'s Flag is: USA

Quote:
Time doesn't exist in the warp. By definition the Chaos Gods have always existed and always will. They are the warp and the warp is them. The Eldar Gods are different in that they were created intentionally (or at the very least, they seem to have been) and might have corporeal forms but even they they aren't necessarily dead they've just been consumed by Slaanesh (the fatality of that basically depending on your views of the Eldar gods).
I'm having trouble with the whole "Time doesn't exist in the warp" argument, in general and not just as you're using it in this discussion, as it's established as canon that the first Chaos God to emerge was Khorne, which didn't happen until sometime in early recorded human history. That means no Chaos Gods interfered during the entire War in Heaven, after the Necron's wiped most sentient life from the galaxy, or even during most of the Eldar Empire... although with the most recent fluff it's no longer clear to me of the order of those three events. I'm sure some other nasty form of the Primordial Anniahlator was at play considering it's reputation for billions of years prior to Khorne. Perhaps it's the creation of the Eye that gave Chaos such a preeminent role in the Milky Way where before they struggled to find material sponsors?

On another note, I wonder if the Tyranids can reemerge on a planet once they've cleansed it of all life? I think the Nids could easily win in the latest round by wiping life from the Milky Way, but sentient life has a way of hiding in the nooks and crannies of asteroids, Craftworlds, starship hives, etc. In that case, I think some current species would emerge from the Nid cleansing and repopulate the galaxy, although it wouldn't be one of the current players as they're known.

If the Nid's biological residue rises again after a planet they cleansed was repopulated millennia after they first ate it out of house and home. In that case, then the Nids will own the Milky Way in the Long Game IMO.

The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you have to load, or if you have to unload, go to the White Zone. You'll love it... it's a way of life.

Nick Naylor: Cigarettes in space?
Jeff Megall: It's the final frontier, Nick.
Nick Naylor: But wouldn't they blow up in an all oxygen environment?
Jeff Megall: Probably. But it's an easy fix. One line of dialogue. 'Thank God we invented the... you know, whatever device.'

Last edited by Over Two Meters Tall!; 08-14-13 at 06:38 PM.
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-14-13, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over Two Meters Tall! View Post
I'm having trouble with the whole "Time doesn't exist in the warp" argument, in general and not just as you're using it in this discussion, as it's established as canon that the first Chaos God to emerge was Khorne, which didn't happen until sometime in early recorded human history.
The problem with this argument is that it assumes that the warp follows some kind of externally accessible logic, which it doesn't. For example: we know exactly when Slaanesh was born, shortly before the GC was launched. We know this because the birth of Slaanesh is the Fall of the Eldar. But we also know that Slaanesh existed prior to this point. She Who Thirsts is well-established in Eldar lore before the Fall and it is explicitly mentioned that she fueled her own birth. Slaanesh is her own father. That shit don't make sense but it happened. I agree with you that it doesn't make sense for time not to exist in the warp, but it doesn't. The warp doesn't make any sense. That's just about the only thing about it that's consistent.

Quote:
If the Nid's biological residue rises again after a planet they cleansed was repopulated millennia after they first ate it out of house and home. In that case, then the Nids will own the Milky Way in the Long Game IMO.
There's no indication that the Nids operate in this fashion. To me it doesn't seem likely that they would because they aim to leave nothing organic behind. That includes there own organisms and would logically include there own eggs/whatever. It would be wasteful after-all to leave combat organisms in a non-combat zone. Plus, they'd starve to death rather quickly.

post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-14-13, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Feed

Quote:
No, this isn't the case at all. The c'tan can't die either remember? Yet both sides aim to enslave and feed upon all life. The question was who wins the lasting victory in the Materium. Immortal or not, the influence of both these classes of gods can be contained one way or another, so neither is necessarily guaranteed victory.

post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-15-13, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
The c'tan can't die either remember?
Didn't one get killed when they were sharding the others?

Quote:
The question was who wins the lasting victory in the Materium. Immortal or not, the influence of both these classes of gods can be contained one way or another, so neither is necessarily guaranteed victory.
Well, if it's about material victory then Chaos shouldn't really be considered. A) Because the Chaos Gods themselves aren't really a player in the material realm, and have shown themselves to be largely uninterested in it. B) Because the Chaos Gods aren't in a mutually exclusive situation with everyone else: they can 'win' even if another faction wins complete control of the material realm. C) Because the Chaos Gods can't loose. Without a definitive loss state it's hard to say what a definitive win looks like.

post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-16-13, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Feed

Quote:
Didn't one get killed when they were sharding the others?

Well, if it's about material victory then Chaos shouldn't really be considered. A) Because the Chaos Gods themselves aren't really a player in the material realm, and have shown themselves to be largely uninterested in it. B) Because the Chaos Gods aren't in a mutually exclusive situation with everyone else: they can 'win' even if another faction wins complete control of the material realm. C) Because the Chaos Gods can't loose. Without a definitive loss state it's hard to say what a definitive win looks like.
One c'tan, yes. A fluke that has not been repeated since and had a devastating consequence.

To your second point, I originally referred to Chaos in general, meaning daemons and followers as well. The c'tan I referred to separate to the necrpns because they are no longer technically on the same side by choice.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode